Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 10:10 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times

Advertisements

Meyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I REFUSE to use self check-outs. They take away jobs from employees who might count on them to feed their families.
So you feel the purpose of stores is to provide employment? Not to supply goods (such as food) to people at the lowest possible expense?

Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Does anybody order groceries online with curbside pickup? I've seen the ads on TV but haven't tried it. No schlepping around the store, no waiting in lines, just pull up to the curb and they put your hags in the car.

But I like to choose my own items, so haven't tried this.
My daughter has health issues, so she does this when she's had a really bad week. She likes it ok and says it's worth the extra few dollars it adds to the bill. She's never mentioned any bad experiences with it as far as poor quality produce or anything. The only time she had a problem was when she ordered a specific item and when she went to pick up her order they told her it had sold out, but they adjusted the charge for her.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So you feel the purpose of stores is to provide employment? Not to supply goods (such as food) to people at the lowest possible expense?
The poster is saying they don't want to participate in helping to remove jobs for people who need them. We all know they will be gone eventually but would rather go to a cashier while that position still exist.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The Walmart store I go to, doesn't even have enough cashiers, let alone anyone to help you carry out. You would be waiting until hell freezes over for carry out assistance.

At my store the front end managers or cart pushers did most of the carry outs. The cashiers couldn't do it because they couldn't leave their registers.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Baggers are the people who traditionally helped customers carry their stuff the their cars.
When/where is this? It's news to me.

I've been shopping at grocery stores of every brand name, in California, New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado, Massachusetts etc., and have never seen any employee do this. Only exceptions were when an especially inform customer needed help, and the employee dopped his regular tasks (bagging or checking or stocking etc.) and helped out. Fewer than one in 20 customers ever got this help. Most never needed it.

Where did you see this?

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You scan the receipts you find on the ground?

Lots of people have done that but can't anymore. In order to participate in the Savings Catcher you have to now pay with your cell phone using the Walmart Pay app.. It automatically puts in your receipt, and if you're signed up for Savings Catcher, will check it out for you. You can no longer do it on your PC or cell phone without using the app.. You CAN still do up to 7 receipts a week. Personally I never had a problem with people scanning others receipts (but I never did) because the stuff IS paid for but I guess they consider it 'cheating'.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 10-27-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A friend had a really ugly experience at Wal-Mart in Roseburg, Oregon yesterday. He went in to collect money someone had wired him, and the store manager, one Kristi something, refused to accept his tribal ID (he's full blooded Nez Pierce) or verify his identity through security questions. She was rude, dismissive, and blatantly racist. I know Wal-Mart is a right wing outfit, but that was completely out of line. She stood right there and refused to do her job because he was an Indian. BTW, my friend is a college graduate, well spoken, well groomed, and a generally mellow guy. It made no difference.

Walmart IS pretty strict about accepting IDs. Does his tribal ID have a picture on it? She probably COULD HAVE made an exception but that's what gets people fired. I know our Reservation people here have tax exempt cards but can't use those as ID. No pic. They accept drivers licenses and passports from Mexico and other countries so you'd think they would accept a tribal ID. And no, personality etc. has no bearing.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the guy in charge of rounding up carts, is the person I would expect to handle that. There is just one problem with that. He is out in the parking lot rounding up carts. So what are you going to do, walk all over the quarter mile long parking lot looking for him, so he can help you carry your stuff to your car?

Baggers are the people who traditionally helped customers carry their stuff the their cars. Since Walmart has no baggers, that is not an option.

I used to wish I had a bagger at my register! I could've checked people out even faster...and I wasn't slow! However, they probably would have paid me less for that convenience so I just worked harder to get 'er done.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The Hilo Wal-Mart self checkouts can detect that sort of thing. After scanning, you must put the item in the bagging area, which weighs it and compares the weight to what you scanned. You can't remove anything from the bagging area until you pay. Then they make you wait in line to have someone check your cart and receipt to make sure you aren't walking out with a big ticket item.

I assume other stores with high pilferage rates do the same. It was kind of amazing to move to where that isn't done.

I use self checkouts when the cashiers are busy, and rarely have a problem.

Used to know a guy who claimed that it was better to leave your shopping cart loose in the parking lot than to put it in the corral, so there was more work for employees. I ask an employee rounding up carts, and he said his job was easier when people put them in the corral. He also mentioned loose carts damage and get damaged by cars.

Does anybody order groceries online with curbside pickup? I've seen the ads on TV but haven't tried it. No schlepping around the store, no waiting in lines, just pull up to the curb and they put your hags in the car.

But I like to choose my own items, so haven't tried this.

Things are slowly changing at self checkouts. Used to be that the bagging area was a scale but with the new ones it isn't. The only scale is on the scanner itself for produce. You don't have to leave all your bags till you're done either. I put mine in the cart as they are filled. Saves time! The new scanners got rid of that annoying "unknown item in the bagging area" that drove everyone nuts!

If you have no problems with self checkout it probably means you PAY ATTENTION to the monitor. People don't so much of the time and don't follow instructions. They don't read signs and they don't see the prompts on the monitor...just want to scan and bag as fast as they can.

Honestly, I feel for those cart pushers. For one thing they are out there in all sorts of weather and conditions. I think they deserve 'hazard pay'. Many people think they are guaranteeing someone a job by leaving their carts all over but they are just making it harder and take longer. Then they complain when the cart section is low. And, yes, those loose carts are sometimes bad for cars. I've had my own car dinged by them.

At my old store the order online/pickup at the store is going great guns! People LOVE it because then they don't have to deal with all the 'nasty' employees in the store. It actually does cut down on the lines IN the store but not by much when it's a super busy store like this one I'm like you though, I want to pick out my OWN stuff. Also it gives me a chance to say Hi to my friends who still work there. I know all the people who do the 'shopping' for it at the store and they are quite picky about what they choose for the customers. The LAST thing they want are complaints and unhappy customers.

Oh, and the receipt checking...that was started as a way of checking up on the cashiers, not the customers. So many miss the large items, especially on the bottom of the carts, and when they are interacting with the customer it's pretty easy for both to not remember. It was intended to check on the unbagged large items that ARE easy to miss. The first week they did it *I* got busted! One order I missed a big bag of pet food. Another I missed two cases of water. The customer didn't intend to not pay for them but *I* was derelict. Embarassing for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products