U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 08:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 5,072,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Here is an article about this problem, complete with many comments by people talking about it -

https://lifehacker.com/what-amazon-p...ans-1824111872

I get it. I have been Prime for a decade and place a half dozen orders per month. We even get toilet paper on Amazon. So I have had my share of shipments arrive more than two days later.

But Amazon still provides quicker and more reliable shipping than any other retailer I have used. The "Amazon effect" is known in the industry for how it changed online buyer expectations. It's really unreasonable to expect perfection. It's not very smart to put yourself in a situation where getting something in two days is critical. View it as a "performance goal" and you'll be more at peace with the world. If the service you receive becomes unacceptable, find another vendor that can provide you better service.

And in this case, Amazon clearly spelled out it's "guarantee" and the remedy. That you don't like the remedy or can't use the remedy (you didn't pay a shipping fee to be refunded) doesn't justify alleging that they don't offer anything. That one of their thousands of CS reps didn't know how to locate the policy doesn't mean there isn't a policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM

23,645 posts, read 17,919,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I am Prime. And what google says amazon says is irrelevant. Show me where Amazon says "guarantee". Show me an Amazon link, not a google link, that claims to "guarantee" 2-day shipping. Seriously, we're talking about Amazon so why are you even trying to pawn off a google link as evidence of Amazon policy?
It says it in the part of my checkout cart that I copied and pasted It says “guaranteed delivery by November 21” .

The item I bought said guaranteed delivery by Saturday. It did not arrive until Monday. So I went to Amazon to say what does that guarantee actually mean, since it was not met? And as you can see by my transcript and also the transfer that I did not post from the first agent, no one had any answer for me. The more they couldn’t answer me the more offended I got as I realized after about the 5th non-answer, that it was just a marketing word and didn’t actually mean anything. It IS offensive to me that they use the word guarantee and then cannot answer the question “what does guarantee mean in this case?”. To me that was a pretty basic question an employee should be able to answer. I realize integrity is rather out of fashion today, but I found the whole experience rather astounding in regard to the tap dancing they did (were trained to do) to avoid giving me any kind of answer at all.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It says it in the part of my checkout cart that I copied and pasted It says “guaranteed delivery by November 21” .

The item I bought said guaranteed delivery by Saturday. It did not arrive until Monday. So I went to Amazon to say what does that guarantee actually mean, since it was not met? And as you can see by my transcript and also the transfer that I did not post from the first agent, no one had any answer for me. The more they couldn’t answer me the more offended I got as I realized after about the 5th non-answer, that it was just a marketing word and didn’t actually mean anything. It IS offensive to me that they use the word guarantee and then cannot answer the question “what does guarantee mean in this case?”. To me that was a pretty basic question an employee should be able to answer. I realize integrity is rather out of fashion today, but I found the whole experience rather astounding in regard to the tap dancing they did (were trained to do) to avoid giving me any kind of answer at all.

As as you can see from the above link, they clearly spell out what the remedy is if they miss the promised date. For all you know that CS rep was on her first day of work. Go do business with a company that you deem less offensive and to have more integrity.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 PM

23,645 posts, read 17,919,722 times
Quote:
As as you can see from the above link, they clearly spell out what the remedy is if they miss the promised date. For all you know that CS rep was on her first day of work. Go do business with a company that you deem less offensive and to have more integrity.
I’m not planning on stopping using Amazon. What are you so offended by?

Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,751,018 times
I dumped prime and I've stopped lots of my formerly Amazon orders due to the poor way they act towards their customers.

Especially refunds.
Either difficulty getting them to issue them, or dealing with them claiming they had issued a refund (over and over) when they were lying.

This aside from "2 days shipping" which was almost NEVER actual 2 days shipping!

They are NOWHERE NEAR the company they used to be!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,786,591 times
Quote:
I get it. I have been Prime for a decade and place a half dozen orders per month. We even get toilet paper on Amazon. So I have had my share of shipments arrive more than two days later.

But Amazon still provides quicker and more reliable shipping than any other retailer I have used. The "Amazon effect" is known in the industry for how it changed online buyer expectations. It's really unreasonable to expect perfection. It's not very smart to put yourself in a situation where getting something in two days is critical. View it as a "performance goal" and you'll be more at peace with the world. If the service you receive becomes unacceptable, find another vendor that can provide you better service.

I think Amazon (and all this fast, free shipping) actually contributes to our society becoming more impatient and demanding.

I don't use Prime and only shop with Amazon when I can't find something anywhere else for a better price. I enjoy looking around to find where I can get a good deal. These days its so easy to get free shipping just about anywhere-- that is nothing special from Amazon.

I've never been someone who cares about quick shipping. I don't order things on-line if I need them urgently. I actually enjoy waiting for something I order to arrive. It makes it fun to look forward to. If I need something urgently I drive to a store, or order at Target.com and pick up later that day.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 884,629 times
I had this issue last Christmas when I ordered a week in advance a "prime" labeled item and it didn't come during the expected time. It was for a Christmas gift exchange. Luckily it did arrive the morning of the exchange, but it had been scheduled/guaranteed to be delivered one or 2 days prior. A week delivery was just insanity given I could have sworn it was labeled prime. I complained to the CS and they said they'd be giving me a month of prime free, but there was no way to verify if they actually did.

Just the other day 2 items I ordered, guaranteed to be delivered within 2 days, showed up a day late. If they can't promise it then they need to change things.

I will say though, customer service royally screwed up one of my returns once and ended up eating the cost of a pair of shoes I had ordered. I felt bad but also astounded. Their customer service and returns are one of the main reasons I shop with them. This year I'm just going to make sure I purchase any gifts well ahead of time or buy locally.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
These days its so easy to get free shipping just about anywhere-- that is nothing special from Amazon.

Sure, except the only reason they started offering free shipping was in response to Amazon setting the standard, and which of them offers 2-day free shipping?

Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 AM

26,855 posts, read 53,689,368 times
Other companies offer Free Shipping when you are part of a buying group like Hospital or Institutions... Grainger is one such provider.

Anything I order is shipped "Free" and often an order placed the night before is delivered the next morning...

Amazon does not have the market cornered on this.

By I fully get the OP points... words have meanings and the onus is on the business to deliver...

Years of presiding over Lemon Law and Consumer Complaints and it always comes down to the terms...

By the way... my brother needed some N95 masks and said he found a box of 80 on Amazon with guarenteed delivery Saturday... he ordered and to my surprise the item was delivered as promised...

Old 11-19-2018, 07:51 AM

2,995 posts, read 1,142,146 times
Quote:
I think Amazon (and all this fast, free shipping) actually contributes to our society becoming more impatient and demanding.

I don't use Prime and only shop with Amazon when I can't find something anywhere else for a better price. I enjoy looking around to find where I can get a good deal. These days it's so easy to get free shipping just about anywhere-- that is nothing special from Amazon.

I've never been someone who cares about quick shipping. I don't order things on-line if I need them urgently. I actually enjoy waiting for something I order to arrive. It makes it fun to look forward to. If I need something urgently I drive to a store, or order at Target.com and pick up later that day.
I also think that it contributes to a lot more wasteful packaging and more trucks on the road. Maybe I'd prefer the convenience if I were holding down a FT job and raising kids, or were a senior with limited mobility, but I have no problem with one weekly trip to the grocery store (it's next to my gym, anyway) and one to Costco. I haven't subscribed to Prime because it's a gimmick to make you more loyal to Amazon as a source. Heck, half the time when I do order something on-line because I can't get it locally, it arrives earlier than promised. The only exception was a laptop I ordered from Costco; I got a notice that pretty much meant nothing except that the shipping label had been printed and it was a couple of weeks before it was actually in transit. From China.

Back to the OP- I feel sorry for the poor CSR who was obviously ordered to keep repeating stuff from the script ("I'm sorry this happened", "I can see why you're upset...") with no authority to make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or