Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Key word there is "standard". Why should there be? Why should they compensate something received a day late the same as something received two weeks late? Why should they compensate a $25 order the same as a $250 order? What does the competition offer when their 2-day shipping is a bit late?
Exactly. Amazon used to have the standard compensation of one month free of Prime, but got rid of it a few months ago. That doesnt mean they've stopped compensating people, it's just that some might get different compensations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The competition doesn’t use the word guaranteed. If they did not use the word guaranteed I would not expect anything of them. But when you use a word like that it is supposed to mean something. There is a principle here. You can’t put it in your marketing just because. You’re using that word for a reason, because you know people think that it means you stand behind what you say. If you’re going to use that in order to gain customers then you should actually mean what you say. Again I recognize integrity has long gone out the window, but to me it’s still worth something.

Are use the word standard, because the post I was replying to seem to imply that there is some standard compensation provided to prime members when the guarantee is not met. That is obviously not the case as you can see.

Well if enough of you make enough of a fuss, that's what you'll get - they'll use another word. Then they will be doing what the others do. What you aren't going to get is your order free.

I think it's more like I said earlier, CS is tasked with resolving complaints and making customers happy, and they are supposed to do this as minimally as possible. If the customer will accept an apology and reassurance, that's best. If not, they have a set of standardized options to offer. And those options may depend on certain metrics such as customer history, size of order, etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You were given $25. You were compensated for your late package.
They certainly didn't compensate her willingly. It required a lot of questioning and begging on her part, which is not my definition of good customer service or of a guarantee that means anything.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
They certainly didn't compensate her willingly. It required a lot of questioning and begging on her part, which is not my definition of good customer service or of a guarantee that means anything.

Which is why you should go to a competitor that offers you better customer service and guarantees. Thing is, no one yet has let us know this competitor that performs better.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Which is why you should go to a competitor that offers you better customer service and guarantees. Thing is, no one yet has let us know this competitor that performs better.
There are plenty. But most Prime members don't want to try other options. That is certainly your right as a buyer, but don't be blinded into believing you don't have choices when you have millions just because Amazon is your favorite. There are many online vendors that offer free shipping without a steep membership fee (Walmart, Ebay, Netrition, Chewy, Columbia, I could go on). A person can get free music streaming via a number of services (Pandora, Spotify, Google Play, iHeart Radio, etc. . . ). Nearly all online vendors offer free returns, especially if an item is defective. There are websites that even offer free TV shows and movies (You Tube and Hulu does, and your local library). You can get free cloud storage and photos on Google. You can get free e-books on Project Guttenberg, your library, and Open Library, and even Amazon via BookBub or Amazon itself. Amazon is not special, and it's certainly not the least expensive. It just markets itself better than other websites.

And Amazon is also slowly becoming more proprietary. It's becoming like Apple but the change is gradual many users don't notice. My old Kindle Fire is on its way out, and after researching new Kindles, I decided to get a regular tablet, download the Kindle app, and load my books that way because new generation Kindle buyers complained repeatedly that the new Kindle Fire does not recognize their Sandisk SD cards or 3rd party apps. It only wants customers to buy Amazon products and the reps don't help them. They just tell them to buy Amazon branded items/apps. I don't mind making the occasional purchase through Amazon, but I price compare and look at various places. I don't automatically hit the "Buy Now with One Click" without doing my homework first.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:43 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You were given $25. You were compensated for your late package.
I understand that, but it wasn’t because their policy is to give people $25 if the guarantee isn’t met. It was given to me ($10 first then $15 days later) because I was the squeaky wheel, and the offers came very late in the conversations. If my mother’s package doesn’t come in time, she’s not getting $25, because it isn’t a standard policy at all and she would have let it go long before I did.

Again, if you use a word like guarantee, there has to be a policy behind that use of the word, any employee should be able to answer the question of what that policy is, and it’s quite clear neither of those were the case. You’re hung up on the money aspect, I’m hung up on the principle.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:57 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are plenty. But most Prime members don't want to try other options. That is certainly your right as a buyer, but don't be blinded into believing you don't have choices when you have millions just because Amazon is your favorite. There are many online vendors that offer free shipping without a steep membership fee (Walmart, Ebay, Netrition, Chewy, Columbia, I could go on). A person can get free music streaming via a number of services (Pandora, Spotify, Google Play, iHeart Radio, etc. . . ). Nearly all online vendors offer free returns, especially if an item is defective. There are websites that even offer free TV shows and movies (You Tube and Hulu does, and your local library). You can get free cloud storage and photos on Google. You can get free e-books on Project Guttenberg, your library, and Open Library, and even Amazon via BookBub or Amazon itself. Amazon is not special, and it's certainly not the least expensive. It just markets itself better than other websites.
Great, and if you want to visit 500 different websites to meet your needs, that is your choice.

I prefer to use Amazon to get 2 day shipping with no minimum order and music streaming with no ads( unlike the sites you listed). Hulu isn't free, and you're not going to find anything current on Youtube for free. Google photos only gives you unlimited storage if you own a Pixel, which I don't.

Yes, I also use the local library, but anything new has a wait list hundreds, if not thousands, of people long. Free is fine on some things, but I don't always want to wait months for the newest/popular movies, tv shows, or books.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:01 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:

And Amazon is also slowly becoming more proprietary. It's becoming like Apple but the change is gradual many users don't notice. My old Kindle Fire is on its way out, and after researching new Kindles, I decided to get a regular tablet, download the Kindle app, and load my books that way because new generation Kindle buyers complained repeatedly that the new Kindle Fire does not recognize their Sandisk SD cards or 3rd party apps. It only wants customers to buy Amazon products and the reps don't help them. They just tell them to buy Amazon branded items/apps. I don't mind making the occasional purchase through Amazon, but I price compare and look at various places. I don't automatically hit the "Buy Now with One Click" without doing my homework first.
You make good points. I've been a Prime member for several years, and I'm not as happy with it lately as I used to be. One of the reasons I'm not as happy is because things often take longer than expected to arrive, which is why I'm interested in this thread.

I do sometimes use walmart.com, but I believe they have a $35 minimum order, and chewy has a $49 min. It's convenient and fast to just go to Amazon, order one or two things, and not have to worry about a minimum and not waste time checking multiple sites.

I watch some shows on Prime so that's another plus for me. I guess overall the convenience is well-worth the $120/year, but I do wish their delivery time was as good as it used to be.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

None of those are "better" and most are substandard content. We've already discussed other competitors that offer free shipping and no one has been able to give an answer to my question of how they stand behind their guarantee except to say they don't give a guarantee. How is that "better"?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, if you use a word like guarantee, there has to be a policy behind that use of the word, any employee should be able to answer the question of what that policy is, and it’s quite clear neither of those were the case. You’re hung up on the money aspect, I’m hung up on the principle.

Again, that's *your* viewpoint of what there "has to be". No one has shown that they have a legal requirement to offer a standard defined compensation for performance issues. So what vendor have you found that better suits your principles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products