U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM

4,971 posts, read 1,305,229 times

Advertisements

A guarantee protects the company more than it protects you. Like an SLA, it defines a "we promise this / else that" and implicitly (sometimes explicitly) limits the liability of the company making the guarantee. Such as: your purchase of the product or service implies your participation in the guarantee, excluding them from any further damages other than a stated (or unstated) remedy, generally up to but no more than the unit price, or pro-rated monthly increment if an annual subscription.

A guarantee is NOT A CERTAINTY THAT THE ADVERTISED CONDITIONS WILL BE MET, EACH TIME. It is for the reasons stated above, and for competitive edge when consumers are comparison shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:01 PM

26,949 posts, read 53,811,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
A guarantee protects the company more than it protects you. Like an SLA, it defines a "we promise this / else that" and implicitly (sometimes explicitly) limits the liability of the company making the guarantee. Such as: your purchase of the product or service implies your participation in the guarantee, excluding them from any further damages other than a stated (or unstated) remedy, generally up to but no more than the unit price, or pro-rated monthly increment if an annual subscription.

A guarantee is NOT A CERTAINTY THAT THE ADVERTISED CONDITIONS WILL BE MET, EACH TIME. It is for the reasons stated above, and for competitive edge when consumers are comparison shopping.
Try selling a new car and saying this...

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just can't understand why someone would pay for Prime - in all the yrs. I've ordered things (granted not daily like some apparently) - I get things 99% of the time with a couple days.
Special deals on Prime Day, 5% back at Whole Foods and amazon.com, their streaming services...

Whether it is worth it or not varies from household to household but there are other benefits to Prime other than "guaranteed" fast shipping.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:44 PM

12,394 posts, read 5,132,334 times
Stop. Can someone please show me evidence that Amazon uses the word "guarantee" in relation to 2-day shipping? The OP used this word 20 times in her first post and seems quite hung up on it yet I'm not seeing it on any of the Amazon pages I'm seeing.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:23 PM

23,841 posts, read 18,031,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Stop. Can someone please show me evidence that Amazon uses the word "guarantee" in relation to 2-day shipping? The OP used this word 20 times in her first post and seems quite hung up on it yet I'm not seeing it on any of the Amazon pages I'm seeing.
Again, non-prime members will not see the same words on the item page that prime members do. It won’t say prime, it won’t say arrives by Tuesday if you order by Sunday at 10 AM they won’t say any of that unless you’re signed in as a prime member when you are searching.

Here’s an item in my cart, and what appears in the checkout page copied and pasted:
Shipping to: (Ocnjgirl and my address) United States
Guaranteed delivery: Nov. 21, 2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...nfusion-2018-5

“Prime's two-day-shipping policy guarantees that customers will get their packages two days from when Amazon ships it...”

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-18-2018 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, non-prime members will not see the same words on the item page that prime members do. It won’t say prime, it won’t say arrives by Tuesday if you order by Sunday at 10 AM they won’t say any of that unless you’re signed in as a prime member when you are searching.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...nfusion-2018-5

“Prime's two-day-shipping policy guarantees that customers will get their packages two days from when Amazon ships it...”

I am Prime. And what google says amazon says is irrelevant. Show me where Amazon says "guarantee". Show me an Amazon link, not a google link, that claims to "guarantee" 2-day shipping. Seriously, we're talking about Amazon so why are you even trying to pawn off a google link as evidence of Amazon policy?

Old 11-18-2018, 07:52 PM

Again, what did you think the "guarantee" was? At some point, you signed up for Prime. Did you not care THEN what was backing their alleged guarantee?

I think it's becoming obvious what is happening here. You signed up for an offer of 2-day shipping, having never considered the possibility that Amazon might not be perfect and might occasionally take 3 or 4 days. You never bothered to read the terms of the offer, you just "assumed" that Amazon would harshly punish themselves and you would get some big reward. And then it happened, you procrastinated and Amazon missed it (assuming you read the order page correctly) so you call up expecting to be fawned over and were dismayed to only be offered $10.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:04 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,802,661 times
This is from the Amazon page:

About Delivery Guarantees

We offer guaranteed delivery on certain fast delivery speeds and select products. When guaranteed delivery is available on an order, it will be clearly marked on the checkout page with an associated delivery date and fee (if applicable).
If we provide a guaranteed delivery date and a delivery attempt is not made by this date, we will provide a refund of any shipping fees associated with that order.

Note: The order within countdown reflects Amazon’s delivery capability at the moment the page was opened. The delivery day may become unavailable within that timeframe, prior to completing your order, due to changes in inventory or delivery capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201910130

Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is from the Amazon page:

About Delivery Guarantees

We offer guaranteed delivery on certain fast delivery speeds and select products. When guaranteed delivery is available on an order, it will be clearly marked on the checkout page with an associated delivery date and fee (if applicable).
If we provide a guaranteed delivery date and a delivery attempt is not made by this date, we will provide a refund of any shipping fees associated with that order.

Note: The order within countdown reflects Amazon’s delivery capability at the moment the page was opened. The delivery day may become unavailable within that timeframe, prior to completing your order, due to changes in inventory or delivery capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201910130

Thank you. The same page clearly outlines how they intend to back it up. If they offer you $10 off then they went above and beyond any promise that was made.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,802,661 times
Here is an article about this problem, complete with many comments by people talking about it -

https://lifehacker.com/what-amazon-p...ans-1824111872
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or