Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times

Advertisements

I just spent $3.50 for a small 3.5 oz. vanilla milkshake at McDonalds. Is this related to the mandatory $15 min. wage? The Sheetz gasoline/convenience chain all over Pennsylvania and expanding has remodeled two-three year old stores to operate with two employees using computerized meal selection with the cashier handling the pumps. Automation reducing jobs.

Are we at the beginning of a new age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 AM

173 posts, read 290,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I just spent $3.50 for a small 3.5 oz. vanilla milkshake at McDonalds. Is this related to the mandatory $15 min. wage? The Sheetz gasoline/convenience chain all over Pennsylvania and expanding has remodeled two-three year old stores to operate with two employees using computerized meal selection with the cashier handling the pumps. Automation reducing jobs.

Everything, including fast food, is going up in price and will continue to go up.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Is this in San Antonio? Or is this a national concern?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:06 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Is this in San Antonio? Or is this a national concern?
I was wondering the same thing. Sheetz gasoline/convenience stores were used as an example in the OP's post, but Sheetz doesn't have any operations in this part of the country.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Are you referring to inflation in San Antonio, or the "robotic age".
This is not a trend, this is business: quicker, easier, cheaper. Its been going on for a lot longer than you're giving credit for:
How about the assembly line, (remember the Model T) that was the start of it, over 100 years ago.
Full service gasoline stations made way for gas pumps that you don't need to go inside for.
Customer service phone call automation - or the half-ass way to do it = outsourcing
Pizza vending machines
self-checkout
We have Amazon (the physical business warehouse aspect).
Internet shopping (why drive around all day, spend half a tank of gas, when you can find more options from 30 different stores in 15 minutes, and not only was the shopping free, but you did it in your underwear, and still haven't had to come up with an excuse to shower.
Telemedicine
Groceries you don't even have to go inside to get
More and more restaurants are figuring out how to deliver. Cities are already working on drone food delivery.

Why do I NEED to interact with anyone to get food? Every single recipe could be programmed into a machine down to a specific grain count for salt. Flip my two patties 2 minutes 13 seconds after drop, remove 2 minutes 7 seconds later, level 4 (out of 10) ketchup, level 5 (out of 10) mustard, with lettuce and one slice of cheese. I have no problem with fine tuning in my burger preference, then getting it EXACTLY how I want it, the EXACT same way, every single time. A machine is not going to drop my food on the floor, and pick it up. I'm not going to find hair or worse, in my food from a machine. The machine is not going to have a bad day, then take it out on me or be rude, or misinterpret what I say. I look forward to more automation.

All these fast food workers that went on strike for a raise; If they could think ahead and look at the bigger picture of the inflation they are causing, they wouldn't be looking at filling the napkin dispensers as a promotion.

I'm expecting McDonalds to be the first one to go nearly complete automation, (as in a couple of employees who are there to supervise the machines and explain to the customers how to use them. They are going to make it into a gimmick. Tell me if they made it so all the machinery was blocked off by glass, but you could walk around to see the entire process, you wouldn't want to check it out.. (Even though, you already know exactly how its done).

This is not an "IF" question about any metro area. They are working on automation in many ways. As soon as they can make it efficient and cheap enough, they will replace more and more people. Machines are getting cheaper, and people are costing more.

As a business owner, would you rather put up with people calling in, talking behind your back, stealing from you, cheating you, raises, firings, potential lawsuits, time sheets, payroll, insurance , ETC.... Or would you prefer to just hire someone to set everything up for you, then control, and manage your entire business from a tablet?

Old 05-07-2019, 06:11 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:

You should be thankful the ice cream machine was working.

The McDonald's near my Midwest home has the touchscreen kiosks to order from. I'm no germaphobe but EW. Just EW. They should put Lysol wipes nearby.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM

432 posts, read 523,414 times
It was only a year or so ago that lots of things were a dollar that are now close to two.

Ice Tea at some restaurants is at three dollars, that's my pain point.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
It's all crap for you anyway. They are doing you a favor.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:24 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Not San Antonio related. Moving it to Shopping and Consumer Products Forum.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:

Was there a menu displayed on the wall? Did you see the prices?
If you decided to buy it - it was worth to you at that price. If people stop buying it, the price will go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products