Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:24 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Anything that takes 6 hours to assemble deserves a 1 star review. I would be thankful for the warning.
Nah, could be user error. My ex would spend hours attempting to put something together, give up in frustration and I'd grab it and put it together in 45 minutes. Some people just aren't meant to be putting things together, no reason to give a bad rating over it, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nah, could be user error. My ex would spend hours attempting to put something together, give up in frustration and I'd grab it and put it together in 45 minutes. Some people just aren't meant to be putting things together, no reason to give a bad rating over it, lol
Is it user error when you literally have to go to Home Depot to buy a part because the parts are made so that they don’t fit together properly? I have gotten a few of those items where they clearly put the wrong parts in the package. I didn’t give the one-star review, but when you actually have to go out and buy something, that’s a problem. There are also times when the “prescrewed” item requires the power screwdriver because it clearly wasn’t done very well. I would probably downgrade those products a few stars though.

What I find worse is when you put up a legit 1-star review because you get an item that quits working after month (like it is rechargeable and won’t recharge) and you get a refund and then they harangue you to remove the 1-star review because you got a refund. It still doesn’t work! Why am I going to take down my review if it is a faulty product.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
...you get a refund and then they harangue you to remove the 1-star review because you got a refund.
I've never had a seller contact me about a review after a matter was settled, and certainly not on a commercial site. Maybe some eBay sellers are a little involved when you give them anything five stars - generally, the ones who legitimately get lower ratings.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
People don't know how to leave reviews!

I'm a huge fan of Amazon shopping. I used to base a lot of my decision on the product ratings, however, after reading many reviews I realize I cannot trust people to make the decision for me...if you know what I mean. I used to though. I used to trust the ratings without even reading the comments.

People will rate a product 1 star because UPS or Fedex damaged the product in shipping, or because it took them 6 hour to assemble something...basically their own problem. Not the product itself.
Other people will rate things low because they ordered the wrong color or the wrong size.

I'm sure many of you know what Im talking about.

I agree 100%

Reviews can be very helpful, and can uncover potential problems. But a product review should be just that-- review of the product. If they want to remove one star for poor service, they should note that in the review.

Beyond that, I've found that a disproportionate number of reviews are simply unfair, blaming the manufacturer or provider because the product wasn't what the buyer expected--when it was clearly described.

Then there are those which are unintelligible...

Old 11-30-2018, 03:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never had a seller contact me about a review after a matter was settled, and certainly not on a commercial site. Maybe some eBay sellers are a little involved when you give them anything five stars - generally, the ones who legitimately get lower ratings.
I bought a phone charger for my car a few years ago on Amazon. After about a month the thing broke, so I gave it a poor review. The seller contacted me through email, saying that they had sent me a replacement charger since mine broke. I didn't mention anything about returning or replacing in my review, but cool. A few days later I get another email from them saying "tracking shows that the replacement charger arrived today, could you please update the review to 5 stars." I responded back that my review was of my original purchase, that broke after only 1 month. I haven't even opened the box to the new charger, so I can't change my review not knowing if this new charger is also going to break in a month. Since I did not ask for a replacement, and did not agree to a replacement in exchange for changing my review, I would not be changing my review so quickly. They contacted me again a week later, but I never responded back.

The new charger worked just fine. I still have it. I never changed my review or updated it because of that initial email they sent me asking that it be changed to 5 stars. I still wouldn't give it 5 stars... maybe 3 or 4. The charger is metal, it is heavy and doesn't always stay in the cigarette lighter. So sometimes my phone won't be charging and I have to push it back in, jiggle it, or twist it around. Plus the first one broke so quickly, for that alone I wouldn't change to 5 stars even if the replacement was the best charger adapter ever. Once this one breaks, I'll just get a cheap plastic adapter.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:17 PM

480 posts, read 316,724 times
You can update your review and put in the info you posted above. That is very helpful to know, and sometimes there will be some small percentage of bad ones. But I would add the info about them wanting you to change the rating as well.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Is it user error when you literally have to go to Home Depot to buy a part because the parts are made so that they don’t fit together properly? I have gotten a few of those items where they clearly put the wrong parts in the package. I didn’t give the one-star review, but when you actually have to go out and buy something, that’s a problem. There are also times when the “prescrewed” item requires the power screwdriver because it clearly wasn’t done very well. I would probably downgrade those products a few stars though.

You know what we mean. Obviously of there is manufacturer erroes, then it's not your fault.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
It helps to look at the review history of the reviewers. People with all five-star reviews should raise a red flag. Then look for helpful details in the reviews. The useful details are what separate great reviews from the rest.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I believe that assembly time should play a role in the review process where appropriate, I also think its bonkers to give a 1 star rating, for instance, just because of a lengthy assembly time if the product otherwise functioned magnificently.
That is why there is a difference of opinion in reviews. If I have to spend 6 hours to put something together I would not take it for free even if its the best item in the world.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:58 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
reviewmeta.com solely does analysis of amazon reviews and lets you know what percentage are fake, and which reviews are likely fake. I find this helpful.

Also, I think that a lot of people are very easy graders. I tend to look first at the 3-4 star reviews and then look at the negative and then the positive for a more realistic portrait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products