Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times

Advertisements

Supermarkets have wild salmon often. It's a lot more expensive, less fatty.

I like both Costco and Sam's, don't bother with Walmart or Target for food - not enough selection. I dropped Sam's because it's farther from me. My Costco is brand new, great parking, their meat and seafood is good quality, dairy is priced well. I enjoy shopping there, enjoy the occasional impulse buy on their changing non-food stock. Also, I like that their employees are paid well and treated well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
LOVE fresh Market but our check book always says: stop right now!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Excellent post, BOS2IAD

I appreciate the tip about the farm raised salmon. I love salmon & eat it frequently.

So, do you know of a good place where we can buy wild caught salmon, that is not fed purina & or injected with orange dye ? You know, the original, non GMO, wild caught salmon that has not been touched by humans. If you know of several sources, please share with us or send me a PM.

Thanks in advance! Merry Christmas!
I never look at the salmon at Costco because unfortunately I hate it, but they have this on their website:

https://www.costco.com/Northwest-Fis...100393370.html

Not sure if you really have to buy 10 pounds if you get it in store, I think they may have much smaller pieces of fresh fish.

I also never posted that I shop at Walmart too. Certain things on my list like prescriptions, cat food and yogurt smoothies and sometimes other dry goods are cheaper there than any other local store. I'll pick up a little meat or produce while I'm there for convenience if I see a good deal on something that looks good quality.

I don't care for Target, to me it seems like higher prices for the Walmart experience. I don't really get why people say it's "nicer" -- not around here, it's not.

I get most of the rest of my groceries at my weekly shop at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway). It's known for higher prices, but I shop the sales and their "just 4 u" app and am good at bargain shopping there. I also have a neighbor that grows her own vegetables, and I buy from her weekly in the summer but not so much this time of year when she's growing a ton of dark greens. Yick.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Thumbs up Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I never look at the salmon at Costco because unfortunately I hate it, but they have this on their website:

https://www.costco.com/Northwest-Fis...100393370.html

Not sure if you really have to buy 10 pounds if you get it in store, I think they may have much smaller pieces of fresh fish.

I also never posted that I shop at Walmart too. Certain things on my list like prescriptions, cat food and yogurt smoothies and sometimes other dry goods are cheaper there than any other local store. I'll pick up a little meat or produce while I'm there for convenience if I see a good deal on something that looks good quality.

I don't care for Target, to me it seems like higher prices for the Walmart experience. I don't really get why people say it's "nicer" -- not around here, it's not.

I get most of the rest of my groceries at my weekly shop at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway). It's known for higher prices, but I shop the sales and their "just 4 u" app and am good at bargain shopping there. I also have a neighbor that grows her own vegetables, and I buy from her weekly in the summer but not so much this time of year when she's growing a ton of dark greens. Yick.

You are blessed to have a neighbor with fresh veggies!

Thanks for the link, I will be reading it, especially the reviews.

These days, you have to do so much research, because you can't rely on the fact that something is labeled organic or what have you. I read a couple of years ago, that even when you think you are getting wild caught salmon at Whole Foods (with the higher prices) That it is still GMO & or injected with an orange dye, etc. And that according to the FDA they did not have to disclose those "details"
So, I really want to get the best quality, even if it is pricier, I will just eat less of it. But, when I do eat it, I want the best quality. When I was growing up I also disliked salmon & avocados and for some reason, now I love both!

Oh, and the dark greens are good for the baby & they are great in smoothies!

Old 12-06-2018, 02:30 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You haven't kept up with what is happening with Walmart. They have outstanding benefits and they have raised their min wages in the past few years to compete with other big box stores. If they are so bad how come they have people working at their retail stores that have been there 10 years or more. Don't believe you read. Also,what many people do not realize they hire clerks that many stores will not touch. They are giving people chances to work and be a productive part of society. I will add the family is one of the most charitable in the country if not the world.

Ten years ago, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union who represents many of the unionized employees of the large retail chains (Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons, Meijer, etc.) put a great deal of effort attacking the labor policies of Walmart. Some of the criticism was valid and quite a bit of it was bogus. Much of the latter has been discredited by more reliable sources.

For example, Crain's Chicago Business, hardly a supporter of Walmart, noted that in Chicago, Walmart and Target paid nearly identical wages which is what you would expect in a competitive labor market.

For part-time workers, Walmart is more attractive than the large supermarket chains as the employees get more hours and generally start at a higher wage. In addition, since Walmart employees are not FORCED to pay union dues, the employees get to take more home. One of my neighborhood kids in Chicago came to me a few years back confused. He was called in to attend a mandatory meeting at a Dominick's store and these were the only two hours that week he was scheduled to work. His union dues were higher than his earned wages so his paycheck was zero. (By the way, in a closed union state (a non-Right-to-Work state) you are required to sign an agreement to join the union representing your bargaining unit within seven days of your date of employment. If you don't join, you will not work.)

I will give Walmart credit as they are one of the few employers who go out of the way to hire people who have been laid off from their manufacturing jobs and returning veterans.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Meat, cheese, grain, restaurant supply store. Some produce there but most packages are too big. Price and quality are good.

Canned goods, bulk food, spices, produce, Winco

Fresh fish and wagyu beef, Yokes market. Frozen fish, restaurant supply.

I've bought 6 frozen turkeys this fall from Walmart.

Costo, beer, crackers, paper products, bakery items ( costco has the best bakery, by far, ). I buy a lot at Costco, but not necessarily food.

I don't like Target. I don't see any difference in the goods for sale between target and walmart, except that walmart has lower prices.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have dealt with nearly every large retailer over the years. None of them are much better than Walmart and some of them are much worse. The natural chains will squeeze suppliers as much as the standard grocery chains. Some will ask suppliers for new product ideas and when they get them, the retailer sends them over seas to be reverse engineered.

My experience has been that Walmart employees generally get more hours than in some of the large grocery chains and get to take a lot more of it home as they don't have to shell out a lot of money to the UFCW.
Doesn't Costco pay better and employees actually like working there (and have long tenures). I think they will only mark an item up by a maximum of 14%.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Costco wins. Good quality, good pricing. Good return policy. It does get overwhelmingly crowded at times. But that's because it's a great store!

Sam's Club - I've never been a member because the closest one is 40 miles away.

Walmart - closest one is like 28 miles away, which rules it out for quick last minute trips.

Super Target - it's OK; we get a lot of children's clothes there. A lot of their stuff is junk. The grocery section is very limited and depressing.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports regularly rates Costco as the #1 big box store, based on their own evaluations and subscriber surveys.

Living in New England, we like shopping at Market Basket, which has good prices, nearly as good as Costco. Sometimes, the store brand on sale is cheaper than Costco, and usually in smaller quantity, so I've learned to try them first. And it's a very crowded store from 7am to 10pm which tells you something.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Excellent post, BOS2IAD

I appreciate the tip about the farm raised salmon. I love salmon & eat it frequently.

So, do you know of a good place where we can buy wild caught salmon, that is not fed purina & or injected with orange dye ? You know, the original, non GMO, wild caught salmon that has not been touched by humans. If you know of several sources, please share with us or send me a PM.

Thanks in advance! Merry Christmas!
Good question re: the wild caught salmon, Country! My guess would be that Whole Foods is a good spot to check.

Hopefully, other posters will have some good tips...

Merry Christmas, to you, too!

Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times
walmart is the most EXPENSIVE to buy food it never has sales and its quality and selection is inferior. They are in biz because there are a lot of suckers out there. Publix Bogo beats them silly. On quality, service and PRICE. Same for other grocery chains if you shop on sale. Walmart removes three pennies, and MAGA bubba thinks I gotta get me some Tastee O's for $3.97 because 2 for 4 doesn't compute. Or Fade Glory jeans for $19.77 that look like they are from 1999 when you could brand name for 90% off at Kohl's (no one beats Kohl's at deals for quality things. And for lower quality, Beall's Outlet, Gap Outlet, etc). Walmart and Dollar General are vermin. There is one silver lining... they pay walmart workers so little.. that theyll let you return anything anytime. The "walmart rental plan"

Shopping at Publix is such a pleasure. Always go there when I can. I don't know how they do it but their employees always seem happy and cheerful and genuine. And best prices, if you go Bogo. (if you invest effort, yes it's cheaper) It's what an American company should be.

Never been to costco. Hear good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products