Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:51 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times

Advertisements

Our local grocery store - milk, butter, salad bar, beers, wines, breads, ...

We have memberships in both Sam's and Costco but they're about a 30-35 minutes drive N/S and East of us.
There we have got tires, certain foods (based on taster tests, sometimes).
I used to get Tyson Tequila Lime chicken at Sam's but can no longer find it now.
Yes, I checked Wablmart. Can't find it there either.
Some household items at either Sam's or Costco. Gas for our cars at both Sam's and Costco, depending which areas we travel to. I believe I got the Homedics Humidifier at Costco.
Like the cafe area - the turkey provolone sandwich is good DH and I often split that.
I like the chocolate yogurt there in the summer time, but is often too much for me.

Target - there are one or two further south of us, and they are H U G E. If we lived there, I'm sure I might do more grocery shopping. There is only one Target that is less than 10 mins from the house IF we go on a Mon-Fri, 10am-3pm, otherwise, traffic tie ups make it longer and during a holiday,...there is only one way of getting out. We have got stuck a couple of times and waited hours to get back on the main road. Shopped there and sometimes get Bounty towels, cd/DVDs, hair care products, home decorations, popcorn, heart healthy nuts, coffee, ....

Walmart - two super Walmarts in either direction of the house. However, there are a couple others just a tad further north and south of us that I like even better. One of the closer Walmarts to us, I can almost never find a small cart or even a hand basket. The other ones I can. Most of the time I have no need to use a large cart.
I've purchased various beverages, peanut butter, many clothing items (providing I can find in my size, that's why I like a couple that are further away as they usually have a better selection), plants, house decorations, shampoos/conditioners, deodorants, tp and paper towels, et cetera.

Last edited by cat1116; 12-06-2018 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Forgot Costco cafe stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 AM

22,447 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Doesn't Costco pay better and employees actually like working there (and have long tenures). I think they will only mark an item up by a maximum of 14%.
I've wondered about that, regarding pay.

To me, I often think that Sam's may pay better. The Costco where I used to go tended to have rude cashiers. You were lucky if they said "hello". The few that weren't rude didn't stick around long. One day, I had one who could barely speak English. I paid with a check (this was back when they didn't take many credit cards). The check had my name and my husband's on it. The cashier asked if that was my husband's name (not that it was her business), I said "yes" and she said I couldn't write a check. I pointed out my name on the check, even showed her my ID. She said she had to get a manager. I asked, "Why? What's the problem?". She didn't understand. A floor manager came by and had to speak to the cashier in Spanish. In the end, they accepted the check. When I got home, I called the store to complain about what happened.

I tell this story because I believe that if Costco paid well, they wouldn't be hiring people like that cashier or any that were rude. At one of the local supermarket chains, I used to chat with a cashier who quit Costco to work at the market. She really disliked working at Costco.

At Sam's, I've found the cashiers to be pleasant, even if they get PITA customers. One day, when I shopped at Sam's I bought a box of 6 light bulbs. The cashier caught something that I had missed---she heard noise in the box and told me that one light bulb was broken. She then called someone over to get a replacement box! No one at Costco would have picked up on that (well...at least at the Costco where I used to go).

Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Our most recent membership (2 years ago) was to BJ's. Since getting a membership to Restaurant Depot, we don't feel the need for "pay to play", supposed wholesale places. When we shop there it is mostly to purchase in bulk or for their seafood. The last time we purchased Parmigiano Reggiano, It was $7.30 per pound. Granted I had to buy a 10 pound part of a wheel, but that is what vacuum sealers are for. During season (wild caught) they carry live crawfish in 30 +/- pound sacks. I paid $2.30 per pound for the last sack I purchased. The crawfish stops when only "pond raised" are available. They often carry uni which other places don't. Mussels, oysters, cockles and fresh fish are always available.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
I belong to both Sam's and Costco, and usually avoid the fruits and veggies from both stores because they are expensive and don't last very long. I go to the local grocery store which has a lot and a lot more variety.

I find the laundry detergents comparable, the meat comparable.

Each store has different items that I like. Sams' club has some organic rozen Tyson teriyaki chicken thighs which are great for a quick meal, and Costco has some other stuff my teens like-can't think of it right now.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I never look at the salmon at Costco because unfortunately I hate it, but they have this on their website:

https://www.costco.com/Northwest-Fis...100393370.html

Not sure if you really have to buy 10 pounds if you get it in store, I think they may have much smaller pieces of fresh fish.

I also never posted that I shop at Walmart too. Certain things on my list like prescriptions, cat food and yogurt smoothies and sometimes other dry goods are cheaper there than any other local store. I'll pick up a little meat or produce while I'm there for convenience if I see a good deal on something that looks good quality.

I don't care for Target, to me it seems like higher prices for the Walmart experience. I don't really get why people say it's "nicer" -- not around here, it's not.

I get most of the rest of my groceries at my weekly shop at my local Tom Thumb (Safeway). It's known for higher prices, but I shop the sales and their "just 4 u" app and am good at bargain shopping there. I also have a neighbor that grows her own vegetables, and I buy from her weekly in the summer but not so much this time of year when she's growing a ton of dark greens. Yick.
Salmon is a love/hate fish I think and luckily for me it is love at first site. As for ground meat, you are right, normally in the store be it Sam's or Costco you can buy small packages.

Tom Thumb: one of the things I miss about the Dallas area. Yes, we always shopped their specials and loved the store.

Purplesky: I agree about produce not being particularly good, but I do think the prices are good: love buying romaine and spinach at Sam's. Also prices are good on things like Valdelia onions in season. Avocados: awful!!!!

Last edited by nmnita; 12-07-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
walmart is the most EXPENSIVE to buy food it never has sales and its quality and selection is inferior. They are in biz because there are a lot of suckers out there. Publix Bogo beats them silly. On quality, service and PRICE. Same for other grocery chains if you shop on sale. Walmart removes three pennies, and MAGA bubba thinks I gotta get me some Tastee O's for $3.97 because 2 for 4 doesn't compute. Or Fade Glory jeans for $19.77 that look like they are from 1999 when you could brand name for 90% off at Kohl's (no one beats Kohl's at deals for quality things. And for lower quality, Beall's Outlet, Gap Outlet, etc). Walmart and Dollar General are vermin. There is one silver lining... they pay walmart workers so little.. that theyll let you return anything anytime. The "walmart rental plan"

Shopping at Publix is such a pleasure. Always go there when I can. I don't know how they do it but their employees always seem happy and cheerful and genuine. And best prices, if you go Bogo. (if you invest effort, yes it's cheaper) It's what an American company should be.

Never been to costco. Hear good things.
Walmarts do run ads and specials every week. I don't know where you are getting that information or idea. As for quality, I do agree some of their quality isn't great and yes there are times when their food, especially produce is as high as any super market. As for comparing , you can't compare them to discount or big box stores. I think anyone who knows anything about Publix realizes they offer a great product but the prices are high.

Let me add just one thing: I believe this tread is about food shopping. not cloths. I will can also add, Walmart workers are paid about the same as any similar worker for the same work.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We used to have memberships for Costco and Sam's Club. During the last year, we realized that not once did we go to Costco. One reason was that I had begun to dread going there because, no matter what time of day I would go parking was always a nightmare. As a result, the place was always crowded, thus hard to navigate. We then decided to not renew.

Our nearest Sam's Club has a far better parking situation plus even at its busiest, it's never as bad as Costco. We go there, for the most part, for non perishable items. Sometimes, I will buy non-perishable items if we are going home right after shopping there. As a side note---once when I was in Sam's, I was looking at their salmon when a woman, who was also shopping there at the time, told me that their salmon is all farm raised and she never buys any there. Good info to have!

One thing that both Costco and Sam's have in common --- what is in stock isn't always consistently there. I will get to liking a certain product, then one day I will go shop for it and it's gone. Next time---who knows? It may or may not be there.

My husband likes to look at what clothing Sam's has plus he likes to look at their book selections. That's our routine---I shop for what we need, while he hangs out in his preferred area
I get ticked off much of the time we go to Costco at their busy times.. When people are crowdedI around the sample vendors it drives me nuts. But, DH reminds me of the great stock prices and the dividends. He called the broker to sell some Costco stock and the broker said don't do that. He was right.

I pass Costco every day. So that's where we stock up on paper, detergent, etc. And gasoline. We save enough on gasoline to pay for the card. I like the fact that Costco pays their employees a living wage. And I also like getting $3-400.00 check from Costco every year.

For produce and bakery, Sprouts.

We go to Costco at 10AM on Monday morning or 4:30-5 ish on Friday afternoon. It's nearly empty on Friday late in the day.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
In general, Costco is my store of choice of these. Sam's generally has a better beer selection. I live in a low income area, with no Costco or Super Target. Sam's and Walmart are still better than the regional chains.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club & Target comparisons?

Question for all, please compare & share what you tend to buy in each of these stores. Especially when it comes to food.
For example, do you tend to buy your meats at Costco, dairy products at Sams club, fruits & veggies at Walmart, toilet paper at Target, shampoo, soap, paper towels at Walmart? etc. etc.

Where do you tend to find the best quality fish, chicken, meat, pork, dairy, fruits, veggies, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, nuts, flour, pasta, rice, spices, sardines, wild caught canned salmon, tuna? Where do you get the most value for your money? Please be as detailed as you can, and elaborate on whatever items you buy in each place. If there are other categories I missed, please share. Thanks in advance

If you have a membership to both Costco & Sam's Club, which one do you prefer & why? Thanks
I always buy radishes at Walmart. One pound for $1.28 and they are always fresh and crispy. I have tried buying at Kroger, Publix, Ingles. Theirs are priced higher and taste different.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
One more really really really great thing about Costco: Their hearing aid department, audiologists, selection and prices. Unbeatable - and a SIX MONTH return policy. Compared to the 30 days offered by nearly everyone else. . .

Oh yeah, if (like me) you cannot buy prescription glasses online, Costco has a banging selection at reasonable prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products