Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 12:14 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I'm ticked off at Amazon because they advertised you could still get your items delivered before Christmas with free standard delivery if you ordered by the 18th. I ordered three in stock items by the deadline and they're not expected to arrive until the 28th. They shipped out of Colorado on the 20th and are heading to Virgnia via UPS ground delivery. I'm hoping they get here on the 24th (that's happened before), but I'll be totally angry if they don't get here by then. I'm definitely writing a complaint email to them, that's seriously effed up to advertise shipping by Christmas and then not fullfill it.
Did you read the items carefully? I only ask because there were a few Prime items in my cart but when I looked again some had a disclaimer “expected in stock 12/21”. 99% of third party seller items said “Expected to arrive after Christmas”. I also had a text telling me an item was delayed, and I got it later the same day! Hope your stuff gets there! Prime items should be good for Christmas delivery through early Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you read the items carefully? I only ask because there were a few Prime items in my cart but when I looked again some had a disclaimer “expected in stock 12/21”. 99% of third party seller items said “Expected to arrive after Christmas”. I also had a text telling me an item was delayed, and I got it later the same day! Hope your stuff gets there! Prime items should be good for Christmas delivery through early Saturday.
Yeah, I was ordering something through Prime a few days ago, and the item description page said "will arrive after Christmas". So I continued on with my search, and found an item that said it would arrive before Christmas. It was Prime shipping, so I got it in 2 days no problem.

Item description pages have to be read carefully. Just because Amazon said December 19 was the last day to order and get free super saving shipping, doesn't mean everything Amazon sells is eligible to arrive before Christmas. Just like not all Prime items will arrive in time if I order something on Saturday.

Although truthfully, knowing Christmas is next Tuesday, i wouldn't order anything online that I need by Christmas. I've never had an issue with Prime packages arriving late, but I still wouldn't want to shop last minute online and risk delays. If there is somethting else I need, then it's going to have to be something that is stocked in a nearby store.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
I don't know all those shows, but many don't sound like "guy" shows. I think shows like The Marvelous Ms. Maisie and Transparent are not going to convince a man to give up cable.
I don't really know what you mean by "guy show", or why you are even brining it up. I never said anything about trying to convince men to give up cable.

My husband enjoys Marvelous Ms. Maisel, as does my dad, bil, brother, and many other guys I know. Just because the main character is a woman, doesn't mean that men can't watch and enjoy the show.

Same with Transparent. I don't know why you don't think it's a show that guys are able to watch, but plenty of men enjoy it.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Remember, Amazon has lost money for most of their existence- this should make it clear that prices HAVE to go up. The "real" price is not what they were charging when they built their business (that was built with stock market money...100's of billions), but what it actually costs to provide the goods...plus a fair profit.

I wonder what value people put on their time? Or on their car...per mile?

Sometimes the cheapest price is not the cheapest.

Prime is only worthwhile if you use one or more of the services - like Video Streaming, unlimited Photo storage, free books and more.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Remember, Amazon has lost money for most of their existence- this should make it clear that prices HAVE to go up. The "real" price is not what they were charging when they built their business (that was built with stock market money...100's of billions), but what it actually costs to provide the goods...plus a fair profit.

I wonder what value people put on their time? Or on their car...per mile?

Sometimes the cheapest price is not the cheapest.

Prime is only worthwhile if you use one or more of the services - like Video Streaming, unlimited Photo storage, free books and more.
That's not actually true. I would spend much more than Prime membership cost if I paid for shipping of all the things I buy at Amazon. I've had Prime for years, and have never used any of the video or music services (although I will use music now as I bought an Echo Dot for my bf).

Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't really know what you mean by "guy show", or why you are even brining it up. I never said anything about trying to convince men to give up cable.

My husband enjoys Marvelous Ms. Maisel, as does my dad, bil, brother, and many other guys I know. Just because the main character is a woman, doesn't mean that men can't watch and enjoy the show.

Same with Transparent. I don't know why you don't think it's a show that guys are able to watch, but plenty of men enjoy it.
A guy wrote that he thought Amazon video offerings sucked, and someone tried to convince him he was wrong because the Marvelous Ms. Maisel was on Amazon. I'm sure some guys like it, but it's not going to be a big selling point to get men to watch Amazon Prime video if they already dislike it.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
Most items in Amazon have increased in price. Just check back on the items you bought in previous years. The current price is usually about 10% - 20% higher.

On the other hand, Amazon is willing to ship free for merchandise even under $10. It used to be the minimum order must be over $25, then $35, but now it drops back to any amount.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most items in Amazon have increased in price. Just check back on the items you bought in previous years. The current price is usually about 10% - 20% higher.

On the other hand, Amazon is willing to ship free for merchandise even under $10. It used to be the minimum order must be over $25, then $35, but now it drops back to any amount.
Again, a lot of items from China or that use Chinese products/steel have increased in price due to the tariff increases. My razor blade refills went up on my Subscribe and Save so I checked Walmart, Target and Jet too, and discovered they were up across the board. There are probably hundreds of products which have increased in price this year.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
A guy wrote that he thought Amazon video offerings sucked, and someone tried to convince him he was wrong because the Marvelous Ms. Maisel was on Amazon. I'm sure some guys like it, but it's not going to be a big selling point to get men to watch Amazon Prime video if they already dislike it.
But Amazon gave us "The Grand Tour", how can any male not like that program. [Irritated season 3 doesnt start until January....]

Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
But Amazon gave us "The Grand Tour", how can any male not like that program. [Irritated season 3 doesnt start until January....]
I didn’t hear about that show, have to look into it! I’m struggling moving into the next generation of TV watching though. We have a smart tv in the bedroom but in my brief experience with it, I hate it’s guts so far lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products