U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:50 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,583,691 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am leaning towards going back to cutting my own grass. All my new friends here do it, and I figure I can do it early in morning when it is hot out like I used to do. ( I’m currently in Florida)

That being said, a friend suggested a battery powered lawn mower, just because I have a lot less grass to cut here, and I don’t have to worry about used oil and getting gas and no clean up.

So, what is a good battery operated, self propelled walking lawn mower that you can recommend? I guess I need a 21” cut like most mowers and the amount of grass I’ll be cutting ,should be about 1/5 of an acre.

Thanks in advance to all....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 PM

8,715 posts, read 4,320,843 times
That's a lot of grass for an electric, unless it's flat as a pool table and weed-free (that is, no tough sections). Not necessarily too much, but it rules out about 2/3 of the electric models on durability and runtime. IMHO, electrics are for a few hundred square feet of grass, the kind that is enclosed in borders or landscaping. 10,000 square feet would almost certainly be better served by a smaller, quiet gas unit.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,738,190 times
I have a 2/3 acre lot. It's flat and not terribly weedy. I have a Black & Decker battery powered mower. Don't know about wattage, etc., it cost around $400 a few years ago (Amazon). I also got a spare rechargeable battery. So if I'm mowing and the battery runs down, I can swap it out with the fully charged spare. It's possible for me to mow the whole yard with this mower, and I also use it to mulch leaves over the winter, which runs the batteries down faster than just mowing my centipede grass lawn.

My neighbors scoff at me and my (self propelled) electric push mower, because they all insist that they need large riding mowers, even though most of their yards are smaller than mine.

In reality, there's no reason not to get an electric mower for a smallish yard in Florida. Plus, it's good exercise pushing it around.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,608,760 times
Stay away from Ryobi that Home Depot carries. Ours conked out a few days after we could have returned it. It's a long story and I won't tell it, but we're out the $ that it cost and the mower. Home Depot and Ryobi were worthless in dealing with the Ryobi "authorized" service center.

A prior one was a Black & Decker and it lasted a long time. It came from Amazon. Like Ellise, we had two batteries and a charging station.

I would think that having it be self-propelled will take up a lot of the battery's energy.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 AM

24 posts, read 7,665 times
I have been using Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe for three months. It produces less dust than other lawn mowers. The motor is quite powerful and hence succeeds in cutting thick grass. The one-push operation makes it quite easy to use. Durable steel blade cuts with precision. this mower delivers the reliable performance. Also, it provides the extra security of a safety switch. I'm satisfied with this one. Hope it may help.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Hi, I am leaning towards going back to cutting my own grass. All my new friends here do it, and I figure I can do it early in morning when it is hot out like I used to do. ( I’m currently in Florida)

That being said, a friend suggested a battery powered lawn mower, just because I have a lot less grass to cut here, and I don’t have to worry about used oil and getting gas and no clean up.

So, what is a good battery operated, self propelled walking lawn mower that you can recommend? I guess I need a 21” cut like most mowers and the amount of grass I’ll be cutting ,should be about 1/5 of an acre.

Thanks in advance to all....
If you want a machine for all-terrain you should you a tractor. I'm using Husqvarna, battery YTH2448 and happy with it.
This lawn tractor battery weighs a total of 26 pounds with a dimension of 7.68 x 5.12 x 6.46 inches, which is pretty standard. It is considerably heavy, which is a good indicator of thick and sturdy plates. This does seem well-constructed overall, especially with the inclusion of a handle for easy carrying.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:15 AM

10,066 posts, read 12,348,009 times
Your best option is a corded electric mower. They're lighter, more powerful, run until you're finished, and cost far less than battery mowers. I've lived in several homes with fair acreage but only a small lawn area. I've used them for over fifty years with no problem; I've never run over a cord either.

This is what I have. Check the specifications; read the reviews; smile at the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-20...SIN=B002ZVOLXE

Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

2,278 posts, read 996,990 times
I have an older model 36V Black and Decker, 19” IIRC. Exhaust fumes from my gasoline mower prompted the switch, plus I have a small yard. It’s been excellent, no real problems except that one winter I forgot to leave the battery on the charger in my unheated garage and ruined it. Bought a new replacement battery and it’s been fine since.

Regarding being self propelled, mine is and I still show 3 lights (full charge) after mowing. However, on level ground, it’s mostly not needed. It is very easy to engage when needed so, because of my back, I use it when starting out of a tight spot or climbing up out of the swale, etc.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 AM

13,635 posts, read 6,727,655 times
I have a Ryobi, bought it about 8 months ago. Love that's it fairly quiet and self propelled. Do not like that one charge will not cut my 80x125' lawn. I now have to buy a second battery or it will take 2 days to do my yard. Another thing is with an electric (battery operated) you aren't supposed to cut the grass when it's wet which stinks because first thing in the morning is the only time it's not unbearably hot in the summer here in Florida. Maybe some other brands are okay with wet grass but not mine.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:36 PM

9,897 posts, read 4,827,702 times
I haven't used either but my gut feel would be to go with a cord. Lighter weight, and almost nothing to maintain. Swapping the maintenance of a small internal combustion engine for the maintenance of an intermittently used (and not at all for several months every year) battery doesn't seem like a big enough improvement considering the penalties in weight and running out of charge.

As someone who currently uses electric drills or saws only infrequently, that's why I am sticking with my old corded versions of these as well. At some point I expect I'll be doing a lot more light construction type work around the house and at that time I'll probably invest in some cordless tools for these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products