Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Purchased two items from seller. Never received them despite seller marking them as "shipped." No tracking number provided. Opened a case through eBay after estimated arrival date, seller replies that we will look into it and get back to you on a certain date. Certain date goes by no response, reply again requesting refund. Seller gives refund. I leave negative feedback that I never received the items. A week later, seller re-lists same two items. Identical listing, identical price and one item is purchased by a buyer who a week later leaves positive feedback. The items are relatively rare and it is highly unlikely the seller had multiples so I am almost certain they were never shipped to me.

Ironically, I receive positive feedback from the seller. Why would a seller do this?

Old 12-29-2018, 12:52 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback for buyers.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:05 PM

17,745 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Ironically, I receive positive feedback from the seller. Why would a seller do this?
Just a mistake when leaving bulk feedback. If you were expecting a negative, that's not possible - as VTsnowbird pointed out.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Not that you asked, but: I would not have left a negative in this case. I would have left a neutral, explaining what happened. A neutral would have warned future customers while not punishing the seller for handling it the right way (a refund). Mistakes happen, packages get overlooked, but refunds are the right thing to do. And yes, it was reasonable for the seller to ask you to wait a few days, as mail is often late this time of year.

I would also have contacted the seller first to alert them the package was not received, before getting eBay involved. For one thing, it's a bargaining tool - some sellers will do more to avoid having an official claim opened.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:57 AM

75 posts, read 36,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Long story short. Purchased two items from seller. Never received them despite seller marking them as "shipped." No tracking number provided. Opened a case through eBay after estimated arrival date, seller replies that we will look into it and get back to you on a certain date. Certain date goes by no response, reply again requesting refund. Seller gives refund. I leave negative feedback that I never received the items. A week later, seller re-lists same two items. Identical listing, identical price and one item is purchased by a buyer who a week later leaves positive feedback. The items are relatively rare and it is highly unlikely the seller had multiples so I am almost certain they were never shipped to me.

She likely lost the item in her home and found it later.
As a Seller, it is difficult to keep track of the lone person you messed up on to avoid giving positive feedback. So automatically, you just do it for everyone. Sorry that happened to you. Totally unfair and she didn't refund you when she should've, nor communicate. That is pretty bad so maybe something bad happened in her life. Her feedback should display her reputatation

Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM

741 posts, read 590,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Not that you asked, but: I would not have left a negative in this case. I would have left a neutral, explaining what happened. A neutral would have warned future customers while not punishing the seller for handling it the right way (a refund). Mistakes happen, packages get overlooked, but refunds are the right thing to do. And yes, it was reasonable for the seller to ask you to wait a few days, as mail is often late this time of year.

I would also have contacted the seller first to alert them the package was not received, before getting eBay involved. For one thing, it's a bargaining tool - some sellers will do more to avoid having an official claim opened.
I used to sell on eBay. Although it doesn’t affect a sellers rating percentage, many sellers believe getting a neutral is almost as bad for their reputation as getting a negative because it stands out from the sea of positives.

I would have contacted the seller first also, and that’s what eBay encourages before leaving negative or neutral feedback. Many buyers don’t know how to effectively use the feedback system. Feedback is the last thing a buyer should do at the very end of a transaction once all other options have been exhausted. Once feedback has been left for the seller, there’s no incentive for them to correct a problem because the buyer has essentially told the seller that the transaction has ended and any resolution is pointless. Even if a seller tries in good faith to resolve a problem and still ends up with a negative or neutral, he or she can respond to the feedback with a factual response about how they tried to fix the problem. Any reasonable future buyers will see that factual response and still buy from an otherwise good seller who had one buyer go belly up. Mistakes are made. Things happen beyond a sellers control. I’m not going to punish them for an honest mistake. I operate from the standpoint that they’re honest, hard working people just trying to earn money, and that they’re not out to cheat me. They know their good reputation is on the line and will work hard to fix a problem if they want to keep making money on eBay. If not, I have eBay Trust & Safety on my side to ensure I receive a refund. The most neutral feedback a buyer can give a seller who makes a mistake, one that truly does no damage to a seller’s reputation, is no feedback at all.

In the 15 years I’ve been buying on eBay, I thoroughly check out my sellers and I’ve left less than 5 negatives in all that time. And it was only if they got nasty with me in email and/or if I had to force a legitimate (damaged, not at all as described, didn’t arrive) refund through eBay Trust & Safety for me to give them a negative. So on the few occasions when I did, it was very well deserved. Usually I gave positive with 5 stars if the seller corrected the problem, or I’d leave no feedback at all so I wouldn’t affect their reputation.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:09 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Sellers can ONLY leave positive feedback for buyers.
What an odd idea.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Thread has been re-located to the Shopping forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products