Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM

50,319 posts, read 35,975,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Amazon has way too many Chinese sellers now. Unless things have changed, there is no way to filter these sellers out when searching for items unlike on some other sites. Amazon has amazing customer service overall. I have had great product support from them with my many Kindle purchases, the only thing I buy on Amazon with rare exception, but the one time I needed support from a 3rd party Chinese seller, Amazon was no help at all. I ordered a tooth whitening product that unbeknownst to me, came from China and the seller deliberately hit that fact to boost his sales. I wanted a refund, and Amazon did that A to Z dispute process, seller got back to me, only offered me half back, and Amazon closed the case, saying it was an "adequate resolution."
There is also a huge problem of counterfeit products being sold on Amazon. The article I read says there is no one way to really be sure the phone charger, etc you buy will be real or not. Small businesses are being hurt the most. The guy featured in the article had invented some gadget for phones I don’t remember what it was. As I gained popularity, counterfeits starting cropping up all over Amazon. Even when he bought some as a test from his own product page, he received counterfeits in the same batch as the legit ones. He is now engraving g something on his gadget, others are using holograms, but it’s a big issue and Amazon is not really working to stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,552,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Filter-> seller -> Amazon.com
Zero help.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:38 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,947,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Zero help.
Okay...?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,103,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is also a huge problem of counterfeit products being sold on Amazon. The article I read says there is no one way to really be sure the phone charger, etc you buy will be real or not. Small businesses are being hurt the most. The guy featured in the article had invented some gadget for phones I don’t remember what it was. As I gained popularity, counterfeits starting cropping up all over Amazon. Even when he bought some as a test from his own product page, he received counterfeits in the same batch as the legit ones. He is now engraving g something on his gadget, others are using holograms, but it’s a big issue and Amazon is not really working to stop it.

It's especially prevalent in cords, chargers, batteries, and other knock-off accessories where the "official" OEM versions are overpriced. Who will pay $20 for an Apple "certified" lightning cord when they cost a buck to make and there are 3 for $10 knockoffs? And I've had both and often (but not always) see no difference in functional performance. These brand names are often getting their stuff made in the same Chinese factories as the knockoffs. And this goes back to the Chinese intellectual property theft where the factories get the design specs for an OEM product but also sell it unbranded/rebranded to others as a generic.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Zero help.

Does your user name indicate you like tech or are scared of tech? It should be quite easy for any tech fan to figure it out. Hint, the filter is on the left column of page in product search results.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:33 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,614,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ah... I see. I didn't know that. I order from Amazon 1-2 times a year. Usually around X-Mas. Interesting, though - the last few years all my orders came in boxes marked as a Prime with 1-3 days delivery, although I don't have Prime and they don't charge me for membership.
I get everything delivered to Post Office because I am not much at home, nor are my neighbors.

BTW: price change do happen. If they notice that you're interested in an item, next time you check on it the price might be higher. Same with airline tickets.
It's advised to clear the browser and cookies after each session.
Yes just went back to look and the tooth brush went up ten dollars from last time! Yikes! However it was clearly marked this time as not prime member price and included shipping...and I did nothing differently signing in than last...weird...

Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM

50,115 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Your husband clicked on something inadvertently. I’ve done it. They make it very easy to revert the charges. Get a grip.
Can I just say something about this? I have never gotten so many rep points on a subject that nobody cares about before. I’m stumped.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,832,467 times
All you people are here defending Amazon when it comes to them making a mistake. Let me make something clear: I'm not irritated about one mistake. I might even give two mistakes a pass. But this wasn't one or two mistakes - it was a whole slew of them. And on top of that, I was promised something and the company didn't deliver. I was told something was going to happen and it didn't. I spent more than two weeks waiting for money to be refunded that should have been back on my card the next day. I had to contact 4 different people and my complaint still wasn't resolved. And to add insult to injury, they still couldn't even manage to close my account when I told them to. All that added to the other things I had go wrong with my Amazon orders means I don't feel like it's a company I can depend on to get it right when it needs to.

And this is what gets me: if this had happened to any of you, you would also be furious. You know you would be. I know you would be. So get off your high horses and quit lecturing me on what I "should" have done. I did what I should have done. And it didn't do me any damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Amazon gives more than reasonable support to customers when dealing with third-party sellers. But they're not Nordstrom, either. They can't be responsible for every product and action sold through them, but they do ban sufficiently problematic sellers.

But if you're going to build your case on points that aren't true ("can't tell who you're buying from") none of that is likely good enough for you.

As both a customer and a seller for almost 20 years, I've had my share of irritations, but can't think of a (genuine) problem on either front that wasn't resolved in at least reasonably good order, if not over-and-above like keeping misshipped items.
Well, now you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Is Amazon building you a house?

Companies are made up of people. People are not perfect. Mistakes happen, and Amazon worked with you to correct that mistake. If you had ordered again during your first chat, the problem would have been easily solved with them crediting you the price difference. But instead you drag it out for days, engaging multiple customer service agents. Of course there is going to be a breakdown in communication.

And I can honestly say that I don't think Jeff Bezo is sitting around worrying about Joe Blow Inc. changing the prices of their canisters. As the CEO, he has more important things to worry about. That doesn't mean Amazon isn't doing anything to solve your issue. I just don't think Jeff Bezo is involved, and I don't think Amazon is going to publicly announce what actions they took against this seller. You can always do your part as well... Leave a bad review, and then don't continue buying from the same shady 3rd party seller.
People don't have to be perfect. But if they make a mistake, I think they need to correct it.

I didn't "drag it out" because I wanted to. I had no money to rebuy the canisters until my card was refunded. You obviously missed reading that. You must have also missed reading the part where I was assured by TWO Amazon employees that this wouldn't happen again. Do you really seriously think I'd have tried to buy the canisters again if they hadn't done that?

And I really don't care what Jeff Bezos is worrying about. But if he wants to keep his cash cow going, he better start paying attention to it. And I wasn't aware I could leave a review for something I hadn't bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They actually do care. I ordered an item and was too quick about it to realize that it was coming from a third party and they charged me more for shipping then that the item sold for and the item was not heavy by any means. I was ordering several things and it was for my husband so the final amount didn't register. I called Amazon to complain and even though it was my fault they gave me a credit for the shipping to be used on anything sold by Amazon. They didn't have to do that. Yes, they care about what their third party shippers are doing and will cancel their seller accounts if they get a lot of legitimate complaints.

This is probably what happened to the person who it took 2 weeks to get a refund.
If you pay with a credit card and the item you order is sold by Amazon.com or one of our Merchant partners, we won't charge you until the order enters the shipping process. If you ordered from one of our Marketplace sellers, your card may be charged at the time of purchase."
The third party has to then initiate the refund by canceling the order and is the one to blame. Amazon doesn't know that there was a delay unless you call. It is up to you, if no refund in a reasonable amount of time, to contact Amazon and they will do the refund and will dock the third party seller. Enough of these problems and the third party seller will be removed. Personally I try and avoid third party sellers or at least those items which don't come from Amazon's warehouses. The exception is used books and then I expect a long delay in receiving. I will pay a little more for the same item coming from Amazon then from a third party.
And yet again, advice from someone who didn't read what I posted. I contacted Amazon as soon as I received notice that the canisters were offered at an incorrect price. I contacted them again when I went to reorder the canisters to make sure the seller wouldn't pull the same trick on me. Obviously Amazon knew what he was doing at that point because after sending me a notice saying the canisters were the incorrect price, the third party continued to leave those canisters up on Amazon for the price I originally wanted to buy them at. I was assured twice that what happened before wouldn't happen again. And it did happen again. At which point I contacted Amazon again immediately. I insisted on a refund immediately. Show me where I didn't contact them, show me where I didn't explain the problem several times, and show me where I didn't insist on an immediate refund several times. Sheesh!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:43 PM

Has anyone ever watched and laughed at an impatient driver trying without success to fight through bumper to bumper traffic? And the more they try and the more they get stymied and the madder they get, the more you laugh? I'm laughing like that right now as the rodent spits with rage because he can't control Amazon or a 3rd party seller.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,947,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And this is what gets me: if this had happened to any of you, you would also be furious. You know you would be. I know you would be. So get off your high horses and quit lecturing me on what I "should" have done. I did what I should have done. And it didn't do me any damn good.
I don't buy from sketchy third party sellers, so first this would never happen. But if it did? The only person I would be mad at would be myself for trying to continue to buy things from the same 3rd party seller. I can't imagine this was the only person selling cannisters on Amazon.

I also wouldn't be spending my last $20 on canisters, and would have agreed to Amazon's first offer to buy the item with a credit for the difference.

And yes, I read through that whole entire chat session.

Quote:
And I wasn't aware I could leave a review for something I hadn't bought.
Yes, you can review anything you want on Amazon. Those who bought the item through Amazon will say "verified purchase".

Quote:
And to add insult to injury, they still couldn't even manage to close my account when I told them to.
Are you a Prime member?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products