Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have a sensitivity to light. Most of the time I only use offset like for instants I’ll keep a light on in the kitchen while I’m watching television in the living room. But in general I keep it pretty dim. It is very confusing, I buy what I think are low wattage bulbs rather the equivalent to low wattage bulbs. For instance I bought one that I believed was equivalent to a low watt bulb for our outside porch, and it ended up being incredibly bright.
I've been called "Batman" many times in my life, and not for my crime-fighting skills. I like dimmer light, and indirect light, and when my working conditions permit I prefer a dim-to-dark office (which is why I was delighted when backlit keyboards came along...) I wouldn't say I'm sensitive to it, but I do have strong preferences and have usually been able to indulge them.

It's important to understand the difference between watts/lumens/brightness and color temp. Two different axes on the same grid. You can put in a "dimmer" bulb with a higher color temp and find it far too bright and glaring, perceptually.

The usual argument for daylight and natural temp bulbs is that it's somehow "better" than the reddish tone of incandescents. It's not, if you (by conditioning alone) find the light unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've been called "Batman" many times in my life, and not for my crime-fighting skills. I like dimmer light, and indirect light, and when my working conditions permit I prefer a dim-to-dark office (which is why I was delighted when backlit keyboards came along...) I wouldn't say I'm sensitive to it, but I do have strong preferences and have usually been able to indulge them.

It's important to understand the difference between watts/lumens/brightness and color temp. Two different axes on the same grid. You can put in a "dimmer" bulb with a higher color temp and find it far too bright and glaring, perceptually.

The usual argument for daylight and natural temp bulbs is that it's somehow "better" than the reddish tone of incandescents. It's not, if you (by conditioning alone) find the light unpleasant.
It’s funny, but daylight I don’t mind at all. Just bright artificial lighting. It’s very confusing trying to figure out the lumens versus wattage.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It cost me about $225 to replace all the fluorescent tubes in the office with LED tubes.
Direct install with no rewiring, about 48 LED tubes.

I perceive no degradation in serviceable light, see no flicker, and installed only two LED tubes replacing 4 fluorescents in 4 tube troffers.
Pretty good financial payoff for the effort.
If you didn't remove the ballasts, your energy savings probably won't be that great.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s funny, but daylight I don’t mind at all. Just bright artificial lighting.
It's a completely subjective thing, based on the way the eye interprets brightness. Brightness you consider normal out in the driveway would make you wonder if an arc furnace was running in your living room. Too-bright lighting in your living room would seem dim out in your driveway, at night.

Quote:
It’s very confusing trying to figure out the lumens versus wattage.
Not really, given that every bulb sold has a lumens figure printed right on it (base of most LEDs) and on the package. Just look up the lumen ratings for standard bulbs and use that to compare each brand and model of LED bulb against. (And remember the incandescents are a specific color range; if you get the same number of lumens in a different color temp, you're going to perceive it as brighter.)

Don't get hung up on CRI (color rendering index), either. Some make a big deal about how "off" some bulbs are, and how wonderful 92-94 CRI bulbs are... but again, we've lived with very "off" bulb color until very recent years. Putting high-CRI bulbs in places you're not used to them can make a room look garishly lit and off-color.

Or to turn the whole thing upside down, if you insist on following tech-is-gooder and arbitrary perfection and put daylight-temp, high-CRI lighting in your house... expect to change everything else including your notions of what's "normal" and "too bright."

Old 02-04-2019, 04:59 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It cost me about $225 to replace all the fluorescent tubes in the office with LED tubes.
Direct install with no rewiring, about 48 LED tubes.

I perceive no degradation in serviceable light, see no flicker, and installed only two LED tubes replacing 4 fluorescents in 4 tube troffers.
Pretty good financial payoff for the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If you didn't remove the ballasts, your energy savings probably won't be that great.

Yeah.. That.. I am replacing them all in our office with LED, but using the Toggled ballast-less bulbs.

If that ballast is still in there, it's still pulling the same basic power, and still creating all that heat, which is a pretty big thing.

The toggled bulbs, I have to do a slight amount of rewiring, but it takes me about 5 minutes to do. Pull the old ballasts out, connect the wiring properly and done.

Works out well, because on the 4 lamp/2 ballast fixtures, I have the extra hot and neutral wire to run directly to the new tombstones. Takes longer to clean out the old wiring and ballasts to be honest. And I cut them down to only 2 bulbs.

I've only done a few areas so far. We did the bathrooms with different temps on the bulbs to determine which we liked best.. We went with the 4000k "Cool White".. The 3500 "natural Light" hurt everyone's eyes and the 5000k was too.. Something.

But, I've replaced all the 'always on' fixtures with LED, salvaged the bulbs from them, and use those to replace the rest of the fixtures until I run out.. Then will swap out another set. Oh, and did the stairwells, too, because those things were a total PITA to reach.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. That.. I am replacing them all in our office with LED, but using the Toggled ballast-less bulbs.

If that ballast is still in there, it's still pulling the same basic power, and still creating all that heat, which is a pretty big thing.

The toggled bulbs, I have to do a slight amount of rewiring, but it takes me about 5 minutes to do. Pull the old ballasts out, connect the wiring properly and done.

Works out well, because on the 4 lamp/2 ballast fixtures, I have the extra hot and neutral wire to run directly to the new tombstones. Takes longer to clean out the old wiring and ballasts to be honest. And I cut them down to only 2 bulbs.

I've only done a few areas so far. We did the bathrooms with different temps on the bulbs to determine which we liked best.. We went with the 4000k "Cool White".. The 3500 "natural Light" hurt everyone's eyes and the 5000k was too.. Something.

But, I've replaced all the 'always on' fixtures with LED, salvaged the bulbs from them, and use those to replace the rest of the fixtures until I run out.. Then will swap out another set. Oh, and did the stairwells, too, because those things were a total PITA to reach.
I replaced the tubes in my kitchen with ones from Toggled. I'm very pleased with them. I installed dimmable tubes, but haven't put a dimmer on them yet. I might try this weekend if I have a chance.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 AM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I need to use CFL dimmable bulbs in my recessed lights around the house. Now they are nowhere to buy. Everywhere I checked, the LED rules.
The LED doesn't work for me, because even after I turn the lights off, the bulbs still are "on" and glowing.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I need to use CFL dimmable bulbs in my recessed lights around the house. Now they are nowhere to buy. Everywhere I checked, the LED rules.
The LED doesn't work for me, because even after I turn the lights off, the bulbs still are "on" and glowing.
Your dimmer isn't compatible with LED lights. You'll need to change it.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
We’re slowly converting everything in the house to LEDs as other bulbs fail. I always hated the compact fluorescence lights, I don’t think any of them ever achieved their stated life, igniters would always fail.

Compact, “tactical” flashlights have benefitted greatly from LED technology.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:26 PM

121 posts, read 164,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Now it is pretty easy to see the difference in newer cars vs older models, especially at night. Older models have this yellowish glow to the head lights where newer models with LED lighting have a whiter light.
We use the warm color temperature LED lights at home, which are nice. But I must say that we have been noticing some horribly bright white (bluish-white) headlights when driving at night lately that are almost blinding to oncoming drivers. I'm not a fan of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products