Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I could do it, but I do try to cut down, and I admire her efforts.

Life Without Plastic Is Possible. It’s Just Very Hard.
Going plastic free starts with cloth bags and straws. Suddenly, you’re … making your own toothpaste?
By Steven Kurutz

For Beth Terry, the epiphany came when she read an article about how albatross chicks are being killed by discarded plastics. It was time to banish plastic from her life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/style/plastic-free-living.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I don't know if I could do it, but I do try to cut down, and I admire her efforts.

Going plastic free starts with cloth bags and straws. Suddenly, you’re … making your own toothpaste?
By Steven Kurutz

For Beth Terry, the epiphany came when she read an article about how albatross chicks are being killed by discarded plastics. It was time to banish plastic from her life.

I don't want to imagine it. I love plastic. It's an amazing versatile material. It keeps things fresh. It's recyclable. It's probably one of the greatest inventions ever. I don't understand why people love to hate on it.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:

By Steven Kurutz

We've already had a life without plastics....in my youth EVERYTHING came in glass bottles or paper/cardboard....

we just messed up with the advent of plastics.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't want to imagine it. I love plastic. It's an amazing versatile material. It keeps things fresh. It's recyclable. It's probably one of the greatest inventions ever. I don't understand why people love to hate on it.
I don't think that the idea is to completely stop producing anything made of plastic.
The idea is about eliminating or greatly reducing plastic WASTE.
Reusable/recyclable plastic is fine. But single-use, disposable plastic is not.

Plastic bags, utensils, straws, styrofoam cups, plates, and to-go containers, plastic use as package fillers or product containers, all those tonnes of plastic waste we produce everyday - that could be easily eliminated. Some could be made recyclable/reusable AND actually made reusing and recycling attractive to consumers. Other could be substituted with paper or glass, or other natural materials.
The first few weeks people would be annoyed, but they would adapt as they adapt to everything else, fast and easy. After a while, no one would miss that junk anyway.

The US recycles just 9% of its plastic trash, 12% is incinerated and 79% accumulated in landfills or the natural environment.
Do we really want to fill our beautiful land with plastic trash that doesn't decompose and stays there forever?
Do we really want to dump part of it into our rivers and oceans?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Plastic is the greatest invention of the 20th century. Without plastic we couldn't have the high technology. Because it's the perfect material to handle electrical components. Without plastic there would be no micro computers or silicon chips. It has to reside on plastic boards it's both durable, non-conductive, and cheaper to produce than any other material.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 PM

388 posts, read 200,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Without plastic there would be no micro computers or silicon chips. It has to reside on plastic boards it's both durable, non-conductive, and cheaper to produce than any other material.
youve still got some very durable ceramics as well as glass, but i think youre basically right. the problem isnt plastic itself, its the excessive production of disposable goods-- including ones that do not need to be disposable. this, paired with the fact that plastics take longer to biodegrade than other materials.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:09 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
I wouldn't want to imagine life without plastic. That means I wouldn't have a job. But seriously, there are some AMAZING uses for plastic, I see them everyday. I agree with vision33r that plastic is one of the greatest invention of the 20th century. From aerospace to medical to automotive the applications are endless. The problem is definitely with the throw away plastic bags, straws, bottles, cups, etc. that end up in dumps and the environment.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
we have bottle redemption in maine......and most get something back from plastics...
I remember in the 70's the roads being littered with bottles and can ...not to mention cigarette butts.

if plastic is made from oil...then melt it back down im under the impression this is already happening..

I don't see the environmental destruction of plastics firsthand..and yes ive seen youtube videos of different countries ..plastics but get after those countries.

its ironic....most of the littered plastic I see if from water bottles/containers....

we have towns in maine that votes - you cant use Styrofoam or plastic bags ...... but the same soccer moms that vote for this are in line at dunkin donuts ...getting coffee every morning in Styrofoam containers and drinking water from plastic bottles....hypocrites!!!!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:44 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Really? You don't understand? You've never read or heard anything, ever, about problems with plastic, not even in connection with clogging up the oceans?

Old 03-19-2019, 04:55 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Really? You don't understand? You've never read or heard anything, ever, about problems with plastic, not even in connection with clogging up the oceans?
That is a littering problem, not a problem with plastic. You don't dump garbage, plastic or otherwise in the ocean. You recycle it. Anybody dumping any garbage in the ocean should spend the rest of their life in prison. Switching to other manufacturing materials and then continuing to pollute the ocean, because those materials won't float as well, and won't be as noticeable, is not a solution.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 03-19-2019 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products