Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM

573 posts, read 586,059 times

Advertisements

I think I'd want to see a discount of at least 10%. Also not sure many stores sell large gift cards, but it could be worth it if you got a $500 Lowe's gift card for $450 for instance, then made a major purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Yes I have Not recently, I am trying to Buy less, but in the past especially around Black Friday and Cyber Monday I have done just that and yes it worked

In each case though, there was a specific item I planned to purchase. I did not just buy the discount card and then look for things to buy.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:32 AM

663 posts, read 433,800 times
I regularly cruise on Carnival. Because of that I have been purchasing Carnival Gift Cards from AAPR at 10% off. For a $2000 cruise that is a $200. savings. I hear that the program is changing. Hopefully Carnival cards will still be offered.

I also take my mom regularly to restaurants that have gift cards I can get at Sams. I often see $50. gift cards for $39.98.... so saving 20% there. I only purchase cards of places she likes to go... Luby's, SuperSalad, Golden Corral etc. Saves me some $ and she goes to places she likes. Since we go out once a week normally we hit two of those three in a month. At 90 she gets into her routines.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:19 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
OP,

You will probably like this Amazon egift card promo. Buy a $50 egift card from them and get $15. This is only good for products sold by Amazon.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13272766-ym...-card#comments

Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
On Sun., Dec. 8, Target will offer its own gift cards for purchase at 10% off face value in its retail stores.

I had written about this in an earlier post in this forum. Target sells its cards at a discounted price once a year during the holiday shopping season.

I stock up on Target gift cards at this time to either give as gifts or for my own use throughout the year. I give myself a 10% discount by doing so.

Happy holidays!

Old 12-08-2019, 02:38 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Economy 101. If you are buying.
There is no saving.
Money out of pocket...is not saving.

I do "spend" less.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:07 PM

885 posts, read 624,911 times
Target is offering the annual discount on its own gift cards today and tomorrow (Dec. 5 & 6, 2020). The customer is able to purchase up to $500 worth of Target cards, and will receive a 10% discount on the face value of the cards.

However, unlike in previous years, the customer must be a member of Target Circle in order to purchase the gifts cards at the discounted price.

I take advantage of this promotion and stock up on Target cards to give as gifts, as well as keep some of the cards for my own use when I find something at a sale price in Target stores.

BTW, you can buy these cards online or in a Target store.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:15 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Target is offering the annual discount on its own gift cards today and tomorrow (Dec. 5 & 6, 2020). The customer is able to purchase up to $500 worth of Target cards, and will receive a 10% discount on the face value of the cards.

However, unlike in previous years, the customer must be a member of Target Circle in order to purchase the gifts cards at the discounted price.

I take advantage of this promotion and stock up on Target cards to give as gifts, as well as keep some of the cards for my own use when I find something at a sale price in Target stores.

BTW, you can buy these cards online or in a Target store.
Yeah- BF was planning to buy 5 $100 gift cards to give to family for Christmas since he wont' be seeing most of them in person.

Someone mentioned discounted cards at Sam's Club; Costco has them, too, mostly for restaurants. I like to go to non-chain places so they're not a good deal for me.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:25 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I may do something similar 1x a year, IF even that. At holiday time, I start getting a few emails about buying $__ worth of a gift card (GCs) & get an additional FREE $10 GC for it. Most places want you to buy a $50 or higher GC to get the free additional $10, but I MAY only do it if it's buying a $25 or $30 tops to get the free $10. I've done that before for a certain eatery, maybe two where I may get food from often.

And a couple of times (pre-COVID), I got a certain dollar amt GC for a lesser price for Jamba Juice & my local movie theatres.

(None of this involves anything w/ credit cards though.)

Old 12-12-2020, 02:48 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Has anyone done this? Example you want to buy something on best buy online or in store or target or gap or any store like that. So say you want to buy online. Well you could pay with your credit card and pay the price. Or you could buy a gift card from one of those sites like giftcardpool and raise etc. Example you buy a 50 dollar gift card and can get like 5 or even 10 percent off etc. So say you buy something worth 50 dollars online. You buy that gift card for 5% off or 47.50. Your credit card gets charged for that. Then you use that gift card to make the purchase of that item on best buy and you get it for 47.50.

Has anyone here done this before? I previously have done this a while back but not for a long time now. Are there any negatives to this? Example what if you have to return an item or get a refund? Do you always get a credit back to the gift card? A negative i think would be if you buy a gift card for 5 percent off but then the item you buy you return it or don't want it and have to be stuck with that gift card right? Of course you could sell it and pay a percentage.

But if you eventually will make a purchase at that site in the future whether its best buy, target, gap etc... is is best to buy gift cards instead? That way you are getting a discount? Anyone can tell me reputable sites like this for gift cards? The ones that i know are good is cardpool and raise.
I tried it once. Honey offered it to me. The website in question didn't have a giftcard input option. For me, it's too much trouble to be worth it.

Everyone has things that are and are not and this one is a no for me.

I like honey though. It finds me instant coupon codes. And tells me on Amazon if there is a better deal. They allow for the fact that Prime has free shipping int heir calculation, the only difference might be shipping time, and perhaps the seller won't be like Amazon regarding free returns. Those things still have to be considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products