Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times

Advertisements

They will take debit but they want so many proof of documents that you live at the address, the credit card is easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
This isn't the article I ready, but same subject...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/y...ds-dollar.html

Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This isn't true........at least in the last 10 years, maybe a debit card was unheard of before that. I have a company debit card that has never left me stranded at a rental counter anywhere in the US.

They will nix underage drivers but preventing a driver because they don't have a credit card isn't true.
Well, it has happened to me, so I guess you think I was either hallucinating or I'm a liar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Can I ask the obvious... Why don't you just get a credit card and avoid all the hassle?
Not everyone needs a credit card.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM

119 posts, read 181,723 times
Have you tried Turo.com - it's the AirBnB for cars.

You rent the car directly from the owners. They set their own prices, like AirBnB.

You might have to pay a deposit, based if you're a new customer, on the value of the car you're renting (luxury), and your "auto insurance" score, whatever that is.

https://turo.com/rentals

Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
My debit card can double as a credit card. You may want to check and see if yours does as well.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:52 PM

446 posts, read 396,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Can I ask the obvious... Why don't you just get a credit card and avoid all the hassle?
You're kidding, right? That can't be a serious question!

Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM

446 posts, read 396,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This isn't true........at least in the last 10 years, maybe a debit card was unheard of before that. I have a company debit card that has never left me stranded at a rental counter anywhere in the US.

They will nix underage drivers but preventing a driver because they don't have a credit card isn't true.
IME it is all too true.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
My debit card can double as a credit card. You may want to check and see if yours does as well.
The problem with this, and the reason I finally broke down and got a credit card even though I don't need one, is one of financial safety. Someone once pointed out to me that if the card is stolen and someone else racks up a nice-sized bill... yes, the debit card has the Visa logo and hence has the Visa protections, BUT, it usually takes time to get that money back. With a credit card you're simply not responsible for paying the bill and it's no big deal if it's 30, 60, 90 days until it's resolved. With a debit card, the person perhaps has just cleaned out your bank account or at least probably spent a good amount out of it, and if it's a long time before you can get that money back, it could be, at best, awkward for you...

(That on top of, if you have few other loans/lines of credit, it'll be detrimental to your credit score which usually affects your ability to get housing {rental or mortgage}, your employment, your ability to secure other credit {or, in this case, rent a car}, etc. I imagine it also could be awkward if, for example, you go to Cancun on vacation, forget to tell your bank beforehand, use your card, they think someone stole your card and ran off to Mexico, and your bank account gets frozen. A credit card could be frozen too, but unless you're using it as your sole means of money, it's not as big of a deal as having your entire bank account unusable...)

Old 04-27-2019, 04:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
You're kidding, right? That can't be a serious question!
Well, it’s easy to get a secured credit card with the big banks.

Let them keep your $300, and they’ll issue you a credit card with a $300 Limit. Higher fees likely but you’re building good credit if you make timely payments.

There are tons of high-fee credit cards out there, and they’ll issue you a card with a $300 limit. When you receive it, the one-time fee for giving you the card could be $150-$200.

But you’ll have a card for instances like these.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:13 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Just for informational purposes given the caveat here seems that its difficult getting a credit card for some individuals...

For those who want / need a credit card but have difficulty qualifying, OpenSky offers a secured VISA card and its guaranteed you will qualify regardless of your credit. It's great for building credit, no annual or monthly premiums but try not to use it, it has high interest. If desperate one could also try First Premier Bank but I wouldn't recommend them, they've been sued countless times for shady practices and they have annual and monthly fees (a monthly fee even if you dont use the card). For unsecure cards, cards hosted by synchrony bank are fairly easy to get credit approved through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
View detailed profiles of: