Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM

680 posts, read 535,002 times

Advertisements

I sold a car part on Ebay for $350. Between PayPal & Ebay, fees were $46. That's pretty excessive. It's been years since I last used Ebay, and I remember it was much simpler and less expensive to sell. Feel like closing my account. Have fees gone up or has it always been that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I've never sold anything on eBay but I bought a lot of merchandise there for many years. Sellers used to tell me that the fees were increasing, both in number and amount, regularly -- so much so that many sellers left because it just wasnt worth the effort any more.

And eBay changed its feedback rules so that sellers cant leave negative feedback. So a buyer can scr5w the seller in many way and the seller cant even warn others through feedback.

If you google something like "ebay seller complaints", you'll find many posts about these and other issues. I dont even look on eBay any longer because so many of the sellers who are still there are just drop shippers or junkers.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Ebay fees have been rising for years. I have read -- don't know if there is any truth to it -- that ebay wants power sellers and businesses driving it's site, and that it is not concerned about folks like you and me keeping them afloat.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It could depend on the car part weight and dimensions.
Rising costs are not new:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv.../td-p/23220511

Last edited by elnina; 05-21-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 AM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I am a regular Ebay buyer, but want never to be a seller. Seems like far too much hassle.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've never sold anything on eBay but I bought a lot of merchandise there for many years. Sellers used to tell me that the fees were increasing, both in number and amount, regularly -- so much so that many sellers left because it just wasnt worth the effort any more.

And eBay changed its feedback rules so that sellers cant leave negative feedback. So a buyer can scr5w the seller in many way and the seller cant even warn others through feedback.

If you google something like "ebay seller complaints", you'll find many posts about these and other issues. I dont even look on eBay any longer because so many of the sellers who are still there are just drop shippers or junkers.
Yeah, the reason they did that was because sellers were blackmailing buyers with it. "If you leave me negative feedback, I will leave you negative feedback back" situations. Anyway eBay has plenty of rules in place to protect sellers from negative feedback as well. I have had sellers rip me off and not send me the item, and refuse to respond to my messages. So I file for eBay's money back guarantee, and eBay immediately refunds my money. I go to leave the seller negative feedback and get the message "You need to wait 7 days before you can leave neutral or negative feedback for this PowerSeller." So I count off the seven days and try again, and get the message, "The time limit to leave feedback has expired". What is the point? Why would they protect a scammer like that? There is just not a lot logic behind eBay's rules.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am a regular Ebay buyer, but want never to be a seller. Seems like far too much hassle.
Yeah, me too. Selling on eBay is pretty intimidating. There are just too many things that can go wrong. I sell on Craigslist and buy on Ebay.

But right now I'm sitting out even buying on eBay, since they started enforcing a rule that you must have a PayPal account to use an eBay gift card. I do have a PayPal account, but its not working for some reason, and I just don't feel like jumping through their hoops, just for the privilege of being able to buy on eBay. This is a major problem that is effecting a lot of buyers. Which ultimately affects sellers as well. I have a collectors item in my eBay shopping cart, that I've been trying to buy for three months with a gift card that is already linked to my account, which I have had for over 15 years, but eBay is not letting me make the purchase. So the seller is going without a sale. This type of stupidity is really making me question the future of eBay.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,256 times
I sold on eBay for 15 years, from 1999 to 2014, getting up to Power Seller status. In the beginning it was a lot of fun and you could sell just about anything fairly quickly. Around 2008 was when eBay lost its direction and tried to compete with Amazon. This is when they raised fees for small home-based sellers and gave all kinds of discounts to Chinese dropshippers and big retailers like Toys R Us. They also made it easier for buyers to abuse sellers, established the star system, etc. If eBay had stuck to its original vision of being 'the world's biggest garage sale/antique shop' it would be much better these days. As a buyer if I am looking for discontinued cosmetic items or vintage clothing I will go to eBay, not Amazon, and if I am looking for new items I will go to Amazon. Two completely different markets. I miss the old eBay dearly.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
I sold on eBay for 15 years, from 1999 to 2014, getting up to Power Seller status. In the beginning it was a lot of fun and you could sell just about anything fairly quickly. Around 2008 was when eBay lost its direction and tried to compete with Amazon. This is when they raised fees for small home-based sellers and gave all kinds of discounts to Chinese dropshippers and big retailers like Toys R Us. They also made it easier for buyers to abuse sellers, established the star system, etc. If eBay had stuck to its original vision of being 'the world's biggest garage sale/antique shop' it would be much better these days. As a buyer if I am looking for discontinued cosmetic items or vintage clothing I will go to eBay, not Amazon, and if I am looking for new items I will go to Amazon. Two completely different markets. I miss the old eBay dearly.
I agree with you, except about it being two completely different markets. I believe that Amazon has sold used items since their inception, and most of what I buy on eBay are brand new items. I prefer to buy new items on eBay, because the site is cleaner and not as gimmicky as Amazon, and it's generally cheaper than Amazon. I can get two day shipping without having to pay for Amazon Prime.

I honestly believe that the only reason eBay is not as big, if not bigger than Amazon is that they made stupid policies that drive away both sellers and buyers.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree with you, except about it being two completely different markets. I believe that Amazon has sold used items since their inception, and most of what I buy on eBay are brand new items. I prefer to buy new items on eBay, because the site is cleaner and not as gimmicky as Amazon, and it's generally cheaper than Amazon. I can get two day shipping without having to pay for Amazon Prime.

I honestly believe that the only reason eBay is not as big, if not bigger than Amazon is that they made stupid policies that drive away both sellers and buyers.
Get the two day shipping on eBay while it lasts, since eBay has banned dropshipping from other retailers. Plus, I often see items on eBay selling for inflated prices on eBay; the items that actually offer two-day guaranteed shipping will not be cheaper than Amazon otherwise the sellers would be losing money on the sale. Other items are often the same price or even more expensive. The statement that eBay is always cheaper is largely an urban myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products