Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Sorry ....just because YOU have not seen it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Its a lot more common than you think. We have had at least 3 different friends who have had it happen to them at 3 different restaurants. EACH time it was traced back to the servers who waited on them and EACH time those servers were prosecuted for it. Of course, I get your point....its not always restaurants....always have to be careful with credit cards.
Only thing you need to do is to check your charges frequently. Online is a great tool. You can also have alerts sent as text messages when charges occur. You are rarely if ever responsible for fraud. That said, don’t use a debit card anywhere but at a bank machine.

Ways your card is scammed

1. Family or friends
2. Gas stations
3. Scam websites that look like real websites
4. Employees at stores/restaurants
5. Breaches of valid websites...this might be higher on the list

Our card has been compromised so many times it has become routine to get a replacement. The bank is catching a lot of it before charges actually go through.

And I should add I am careful about my card, once a card was used before I even used it after getting a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 04:34 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
In Canada, every restaurant brings the little portable credit card machine to the table so that you can do it all yourself electronically. Is that really still not happening in the States?
No, it is not and it should be. I really dislike when they take my credit card away. Most of the time I will pay cash because it makes me uncomfortable to have my credit card out of my sight.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Ok, you're talking about those ziosks. That's a little different than the Canadian system, where the server brings a portable credit card reader to the table. The ziosks are an entertainment device (for a fee) that can also be used to order food, dessert and drinks and will allow you to pay. I've seen them in a few chain restaurants. In Canada, even the smallest restaurant in the most remote part of the country will have a credit card reader that can be brought to the table.

Gotcha. I didn't know what they were called and I can't stand them anyways. We keep our LO off electronics and there is a screen right there at the table. No thanks. I met a friend for lunch last week and she wanted to eat at Olive Garden. It took us about 5 tries each to get that dang thing to read our cards. Really annoying. But the feature we are asking about is there - to pay at the table without our card going out of sight.

I am familiar with the portable card readers. Their use is not wide spread, but hopefully it's coming. All of our Chick-fil-As use them. And I have one in my small cafe. I am in the US, but I'm Canadian

Old 05-29-2019, 05:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
chip trucks sound intriguing...who doesn't love potatoes? (assuming that's what you meant)
Yes, that's exactly it. They have these trucks parked all over the place, especially in the nice weather months, where they have tons of real potatoes and people are inside cutting them into strips and frying them, skins on. You get them hot and freshly made and they have the vinegar and salt and ketchup to put on them.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Neither does Canada. They have a GST.
Well that's a lot better. I would much rather pay a GST than a VAT.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
I wonder how many thousands of dollars the OP has saved over the years, by making dinner at home from scratch, instead of going out to eat?

Quite a bit, I'd think! Maybe the savings allows the OP to afford other pleasures.

But for me, I'd rather spend the money on restaurants for the sheer delight of trying new foods, discovering tastes I never knew I liked, going to new places, and perhaps meeting new people. You can't take it with you.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
OK Guys. I think I grasp it now. Thanks to all.
You may want to make a note on your own copy of the receipt, the amount that you tipped -- if you used the credit card to also tip.

A lot of people tip in cash instead of using their credit card, to keep it "under the table".

Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wow. Don't get out much, huh?
Only half a lifetime!

Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
I was not chiming in with a "needless" scare story. I'm pointing out that you need to be careful with your credit card WHEREVER you use it.
Not everyone is blessed with having good fortune with their experiences of using a credit card at eating establishments. Should not be naive about such things.....thieves love that attitude.
jlawrence01......thanks for showing its happened to you too!

No matter what system is in place in a restaurant, there is an opportunity for fraud and theft.

If you accept cash only, some of the money could walk off with the employees when they underring a sale. Also, there is an increased possibility of someone sticking a gun to your face during a robbery.

If you accept checks, a good five per cent of them could be bad. About 75% of them will be potentially collected but it costs good money to have someone follow up with all of the bad paper. My DW worked for a major retailer. Her department closed down in December and early January and she wa assigned the task of pursuing bad checks.

If you accept credit cards, you deal with the fraud issues.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
Quote:
Yup.....AND guess what????? There are servers out there who spit in people's food and other gross things!!! SHOCKING!!! That stuff like this happens in the world!!!!!
Its common in my area of the world.....you must live in a magnificent place where angels serve you and wash your feet. Hey! I want to move there.
It’s not common in my area of the world. And in my magnificent place, we pay the angels who wash our feet (in the local nail salon . . .).

I haven’t been to a restaurant with a “credit card reader” at the table—I’m accustomed to the previously mentioned leather folder holding the bill, where you enclose the credit card and hand to the waiter, who returns the card and provides a receipt on which you indicate the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products