Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 07:49 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I mean, it's brilliant marketing, but those damn lists have really helped me improve my quality of life. I got a bunch of hot/cold packs due to one of the lists and they have really helped me deal with my sinus headaches. One of the links was to gel filled disks only a few inches across - they are WONDERFUL. I heat them in the microwave and can place them anywhere on my face or use an ace bandage to hold them in place - wherever my sinuses are hurting. It makes those days bearable.

The dress suggestions on one list pushed me to a dress I ordered to go to my reunion for $30. It looked fabulous on me.

I've also gotten some protective gloves for when I'm cutting things in the kitchen, a lotion applicator for spots on my back I can't reach (I have tinnea versicolor and need to treat my back with tea tree oil sometimes). Dryer balls for my laundry - really cuts down on the static cling, which is TERRIBLE in my house. Reusable produce bags (trying to cut down on my use of plastics). A tool for unclogging my drain. Face creams that do not irritate my sensitive skin.

It's nothing I absolutely needed and can't do without, but it's been stuff I haven't regretted spending the money on and the items actually add to my quality of life (especially those gel packs!). The products actually work and the reviews are accurate. I was raised in Jersey around all kinds of malls, so I'm a bit of a shopaholic. The malls in Colorado kind of suck, but what I like about the Buzzfeed lists is I can fully research the product and I'm not left with buyer's remorse after getting something. I guess I'm still a materialistic shopaholic, but now it's targeted and purposeful. I budget and plan for each purchase. Those lists seem like click bait, but they've cut down on my impulse shopping and kind of directed me into a more careful consumerism.

Anyone find those lists similarly useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 08:14 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Why not just turn your wallet over to a personal shopper and never worry about not having the latest and greatest again?

Old 05-31-2019, 09:12 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
C'mon now, why the "tart" (sourpuss)? I think it is nice to read about marketing actually working positively for a change. The OP is reporting on the useful items purchased, and actually used, that she may not have ever thought about. I am happy for her that these items have actually improved her life, we can all use things that do that.

What and where are "Buzzfeed Lists"?

Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Why not just turn your wallet over to a personal shopper and never worry about not having the latest and greatest again?
Personal shoppers are for people with serious money. And I enjoy the hunt too. Just like I enjoy looking for books to read.

In any case, it's not about the latest and greatest - it's about finding the stuff that is most useful for the most reasonable price. Almost everything I buy is $15-$20 or cheaper. That's not what a personal shopper does. Just finished using another thing I bought for like $25 bucks (big splurge!) - a food chopper with different fixtures.

I'd had one like a decade ago, but this one is much better quality, with more fixtures. It will also save me money in the long run. I have two dogs that I train quite a bit and it is much cheaper to make your own treats than it is to buy them. However it's time consuming and inefficient in many ways - getting the pieces a uniform and appropriate size, freezing them in appropriate amounts, etc. The chopper I bought cubes everything into uniform sizes. I have a weekend of flyball competition ahead of me and I spent a total of $8 o treats and spent about 20 minutes cutting the hot dogs and cheese sticks into tiny cubes. If I'd bought the treats, I'd have spent a lot more. I will also use it for my own food (especially the casseroles I've been making lately) but I bought it for my dogs primarily.

Like I said before - it's stuff that improves my quality of life in very small ways.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
C'mon now, why the "tart" (sourpuss)? I think it is nice to read about marketing actually working positively for a change. The OP is reporting on the useful items purchased, and actually used, that she may not have ever thought about. I am happy for her that these items have actually improved her life, we can all use things that do that.

What and where are "Buzzfeed Lists"?
https://www.buzzfeed.com/shopping They usually show up in my news feed on my iPhone.

It's blatant marketing, but also useful for the shopper. Half the time I don't buy the "Recommended" product but similar items that come with reviews that indicate they would better suit my purposes. Some of it is really stupid, but I've found it's particularly helpful when shopping for gifts for people.

Of course almost all of it's on Amazon, so if you have a moral objection to that company, it's probably not for you.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
C'mon now, why the "tart" (sourpuss)? I think it is nice to read about marketing actually working positively for a change.
It's only working positively for the products lucky enough to be listed. The entire concept is a money-draining exercise for people who just don't have time to find their own ways to waste it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products