Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:34 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have two options to get free shipping. 1. By meeting the $25 threshold. Which is not really too hard to do. I can order multiple items at one time. That pretty much gets me most any item on Amazon with free shipping. 2. If I don't have $25 worth of stuff to buy, I can look for the item from a third party, that offers free shipping. Third parties are usually the low price anyway.

You probably spend more than Prime in induced purchases. If I need a $10 item I order a $10 item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 07:56 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
OK, but you are ordering for your business. Most people are not ordering that much. But that sounds about right. You probably have to order about three times a week, to make Prime pay for itself. But if you are ordering that much, you probably wouldn't pay for shipping anyway. You would just have to combine orders, and get it a little slower.
I watch the movies, listen to prime music regularly when I work out or am at home working (it does not have ads), and also take advantage of the free new release book that comes monthly. There is a lot more value to me in the service than just the free shipping. That said, I like to be able to buy less than $25 at one time, because I do often buy cheap items that I can’t find in stores here.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:

I honestly believe that people who subscribe to Amazon Prime or Netflix are brainwashed into it. Neither service makes any economic sense.
Correction to your post. "Neither service makes any economic sense FOR ME."

Your opinion. Your finances. For us, both services make lots of economic sense. Even if items are available in the local stores it requires at least a gallon of gas and an hour of our time. A few orders from Amazon a month equals the gas we'd use to get to a store. If we have to travel farther (at least 45 minutes to a larger shopping area) the cost of acquiring something is more. The movies and music are a bonus. We definitely save money with Amazon Prime.

Two adult movie theater tickets cost about $25. We may or may not like the movie. We pay less for Netflix, watch it often, and if we don't like a movie or show, we move on to something else.

No brainwashing involved.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I would not be without Prime. I have had it since the 1990s. I have saved thousands of dollars in shipping. My adjustable bed frame alone is 110lbs and shipped for free in two days! My landlord just ordered a 7.0 ct ft freezer, free shipping and two day delivery. Ya can't beat that. Lowe's and Home Depot wanted $70 and $60 delivery charge, respectively, and they are both only 2.5 miles away! Did he save much? You bet!

I will keep my Prime and order away, tyvm.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I would not be without Prime. I have had it since the 1990s. I have saved thousands of dollars in shipping. My adjustable bed frame alone is 110lbs and shipped for free in two days! My landlord just ordered a 7.0 ct ft freezer, free shipping and two day delivery. Ya can't beat that. Lowe's and Home Depot wanted $70 and $60 delivery charge, respectively, and they are both only 2.5 miles away! Did he save much? You bet!

I will keep my Prime and order away, tyvm.
Prime started in 2005, I know because that’s when I signed up.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
That sounds like TV. I don't like TV. That's why I don't own a TV. I want to choose, what I watch, not be spoon fed it. The best streaming content I have found is free on YouTube. I mostly watch travel vlogs, which are better than anything I have ever seen on TV. Some of it is even professional quality. One guy I watch has hosted a few travel TV shows. Another woman is a former TV reporter. She puts together very entertaining videos, which are just like she would produce for a TV show. Totally professional. I can watch it free without even having to watch commercials. YouTube is like a million TV channels to choose from, with every possible subject matter. Rather then just one TV channel spoon feeding content to you. And it's free.
So for YOU, those services are not of value. For millions of others, they are.
Try to remember that we are human and as such we all have different preferences.

As to being “spoon fed”, ummm, no. What an absurd attempt at trying to suggest that your choices are somehow superior to others.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:45 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You probably spend more than Prime in induced purchases. If I need a $10 item I order a $10 item.

I'm on a limited income. I order what my budget allows.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Correction to your post. "Neither service makes any economic sense FOR ME."

Your opinion. Your finances. For us, both services make lots of economic sense. Even if items are available in the local stores it requires at least a gallon of gas and an hour of our time. A few orders from Amazon a month equals the gas we'd use to get to a store. If we have to travel farther (at least 45 minutes to a larger shopping area) the cost of acquiring something is more. The movies and music are a bonus. We definitely save money with Amazon Prime.

Two adult movie theater tickets cost about $25. We may or may not like the movie. We pay less for Netflix, watch it often, and if we don't like a movie or show, we move on to something else.

No brainwashing involved.
I'm not arguing that Amazon doesn't make economic sense. I'm arguing that Amazon Prime doesn't make economic sense. You are paying a lot of money just to get your items shipped a little bit faster.

As for comparing Netflix to movie theater tickets, that is a very bad analogy. At least with a movie theater, you have a choice of seeing any brand new movie you choose to see. None of those movies are on Netflix, and if you wait for the movie to come to Netflix, there is about an 85% chance you will never see it. Unless it's a really crappy movie, then Netflix will probably buy it cheap.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing that Amazon doesn't make economic sense. I'm arguing that Amazon Prime doesn't make economic sense. You are paying a lot of money just to get your items shipped a little bit faster.
And you continue to think that the only think you get with Amazon Prime is 1-2 day shipping. It's not.

Quote:
As for comparing Netflix to movie theater tickets, that is a very bad analogy. At least with a movie theater, you have a choice of seeing any brand new movie you choose to see. None of those movies are on Netflix, and if you wait for the movie to come to Netflix, there is about an 85% chance you will never see it. Unless it's a really crappy movie, then Netflix will probably buy it cheap.
It's obvious that you do not have Netflix, and never have. Claiming they barely have any new movies couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So for YOU, those services are not of value. For millions of others, they are.
Try to remember that we are human and as such we all have different preferences.

As to being “spoon fed”, ummm, no. What an absurd attempt at trying to suggest that your choices are somehow superior to others.
I choose what movies I watch. If you use Netflix to watch movies, you are allowing them to choose what moves you see. That is being spoon fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products