Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 04:01 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,575,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I feel that if stores pass on the work to customers, perhaps they should give a discount for using self-checkout. It's become a lot of "work" to buy things in stores now so possibly that's why online shopping is so popular. It just gets delivered to your doorstep.

When I was a kid they would hire baggers to walk you to your car and help unload your bags. This was a service at many grocery stores. It's non-existent now. Even after I had foot surgery, I had to carry my bags out to my car, myself. Nobody who worked in the store offered.

If that's the way you want it shop at lux stores (like Harris Teeter) and they will help you. Personally, I prefer to doing something myself rather than wait longer to have someone else do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 04:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,005,561 times
Quote:
When I was a kid they would hire baggers to walk you to your car and help unload your bags. This was a service at many grocery stores. It's non-existent now. Even after I had foot surgery, I had to carry my bags out to my car, myself. Nobody who worked in the store offered.
All the grocery stores here do that. There is a bagger for each cashier, and after they load the bags into your cart, they ask if you need any help out. I rarely see any bagger assisting someone out to their car, so I'm not surprised that some chains have stopped asking. If you are the rare individual who needs help out, then you can speak I'm always polite and say "no thank you" but I'm sure there are others that give them attitude or become offended that anyone would think they would need help.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:18 PM

531 posts, read 452,095 times
One thing you may not have noticed is that attended checkout lanes are rather confined. It's not easy to maneuver around the cart and put things on the conveyor. Also, there's a good chance of knocking over some of the candies and other impulse-buying stuff they put there. I much prefer the open space at the self-check. Both Kroger's and Walmart have the self-check terminals around the edges of an open space.

Last edited by Ed Ferris; 07-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: better word choice

Old 07-03-2019, 04:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,367,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
All the grocery stores here do that. There is a bagger for each cashier, and after they load the bags into your cart, they ask if you need any help out. I rarely see any bagger assisting someone out to their car, so I'm not surprised that some chains have stopped asking. If you are the rare individual who needs help out, then you can speak I'm always polite and say "no thank you" but I'm sure there are others that give them attitude or become offended that anyone would think they would need help.
I don't think it's actually rare that customers need help. I see lots of elderly people in stores, shopping alone, who could probably use some help.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's actually rare that customers need help. I see lots of elderly people in stores, shopping alone, who could probably use some help.
As I said, in my experience, it is rare. I hardly ever see the baggers helping anyone out to their car. Even the elderly people shopping alone do not accept the offers for help out to the car.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,755,389 times
I use self checkouts almost every trip. My only gripe is the clerks that don't understand the concept. No, I do not want to chat. No, I don't want help. Leave me alone!

Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,748,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
One thing you may not have noticed is that attended checkout lanes are rather confined. It's not easy to maneuver around the cart and put things on the conveyor.
Oh, let's not even go there. The functional design of self-unload checkout lanes would make Rube Goldberg laugh. With most, there is absolutely no way to complete the process without going first, so you can reach everything in the cart, then awkwardly back up and change positions so that you can push the cart through to the grumpily waiting bagger. Only with micro-carts and a few items can you reach everything with the cart in front of you in the line.

Back to topic, very few self-checkout lanes/lines/plazas are any better designed. There's basically nowhere for your cart to go except in the way of the next guy trying to use a terminal, and you are not supposed to move the cart past the checkout point until it's empty, or put bagged items in with un-checked items, meaning your accumulating bags of groceries have nowhere to go.

Whatever other appeal/lack of appeal SCS has, it's ten times more clumsy and difficult if you have more than a hand basket of goods. And speaking of handbaskets, the confusing, inept process is already leading to missed items is leading to accusations of shoplifting up to and including prosecution and conviction. Yay technology.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:25 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,321,343 times
I would have absolutely left the cart. I LOATHE Self checkout. It's slow and obnoxious. I would have just parked it and left. I can barely stand to use it for 3-4 items, but a full cart, no way!

Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
you are not supposed to move the cart past the checkout point until it's empty, or put bagged items in with un-checked items, meaning your accumulating bags of groceries have nowhere to go.
Says who? Is this a rule you've come up with on your own? I've never been told such a thing at any store I shop at.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I would have absolutely left the cart. I LOATHE Self checkout. It's slow and obnoxious. I would have just parked it and left. I can barely stand to use it for 3-4 items, but a full cart, no way!
Well I guess you can just pretend like you're doing even more to save people's job by making them restock your cart full of groceries. Hopefully you don't ever do that with frozen or refrigerated items, as those have to go straight into the dumpster. Such a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products