Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thrift stores don’t sell underwear as in panties, i don’t think any state would allow used panties to be sold. I do t see used socks either, but many thrift stores get donations of new items. For instance Goodwill has an agreement with Target, who donates to them a lot of brand new stuff that didn’t get sold. They do sell used bras which to me is no different than buying a worn tank top.

I don't know about panties but I definitely have seen used men's undies sold and I just gag at the thought. EWWW! No way I would buy some guy's used drawers even if boiled in bleach. Anyway...

I love thrifts but I echo the complaints of many that some are just getting too high priced. C'mon, they get all this stuff for free. Also, everyone knows the thrifts profits are often going too much for administrative costs instead of their intended mission.

I don't buy to re-sell anymore. Occasionally, I'll check out the books or videos and see if there is a hidden gem there for re-sell but haven't found anything lately. I love to browse and occasionally buy clothes or shoes. Shoes are becoming outrageously expensive though. I've seen some scuffed examples priced at 20 bucks. Ridiculous. One store has a rack of clothes where all items are priced at a dollar. I've picked up slacks, shirts and shorts there. I will also buy bookshelves, kitchen items, weights and exercise equipment and electronics. I'll buy anything really if I need it and it's priced well.

Just posting all this has given me the urge. Time for a thrift road trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 07:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thrift stores don’t sell underwear as in panties, i don’t think any state would allow used panties to be sold. I do t see used socks either, but many thrift stores get donations of new items. For instance Goodwill has an agreement with Target, who donates to them a lot of brand new stuff that didn’t get sold. They do sell used bras which to me is no different than buying a worn tank top.
Yes they do, no law against it. We accept donated underwear, and put it on the sales floor after carefully scrutinizing it for condition. Men's and children's underwear always sell quickly, women's panties not so fast. But in order for it to make it out of the donations area, it has to be in "like new" condition. Our thrift store serves the community by providing two free outfits every month to those in need. But underwear is not included, nor are accessories. Those must be purchased, so I can assure you, used underwear sells. We do, of course, have new underwear available for purchase, but at a higher price point than used although lower than retail.

And then there are a couple of rather colorful men who come in specifically to buy used women's panties...

Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
The west coast of Florida has amazing Goodwill Stores. You can find unreal furniture.

Retirees move down, completely furnish a house, one spouse dies, kids come down and pack up living spouse, take them back to wherever, donate all the contents of the home to Goodwill, sell the house.

I buy a lot of Ebay. Every time I want something, I stalk Ebay for it.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have a mobile home with an aluminum canopy stretching out 12 feet from the house, the length of my house, and I had my roommate build me a 6X16 foot deck, mostly for my ferret to use, and It's ringed with plexiglass so my ferret can look out, as they're very small animals. I'm always buying, what I called, whimsical items for my yard, like 2 medium sized plastic horses, a lavender unicorn, and a plastic lion which can be conversation pieces. All my neighbors knew what I was up to with the deck with plexiglass, so to add some amusement to it, some stuffed animals looking out from plexiglass, onto the street. And, no, they're not going to get wet, as the plexiglass wall is 6 feet from the edge of the canopy.

In this 55+ mobile home park, a number of owners add whimsical touches to their yards.

If you stocked your yard with plastic, purple animals in my neighborhood, it would be a conversation piece, alright. And you wouldn't be pleased to hear what was being said. Actually, there's one woman who has a whole menagerie of such things all over her yard and at night, teenagers steal them often. But she restocks them immediately. She must spend a lot of time at St. Vinnie's and Goodwill. Recently, Santa, eight reindeer plus Rudolph appeared. She must have gotten a bargain at a really early Christmas decorations sale.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
^

Like me, I'm sure this owner buys these lawn ornaments cheaply enough at thrift stores, so if they're stolen, no biggie! My 2 plastic horses I put in my yard, close to the road, 2 months ago, paid $1.98 each, and if they're stolen, they're stolen! I even bought a plastic doll (clothed) with movable arms and legs, and in one spot, I stuck one of her feet into the ground, and one leg kicking outward and outstretch arms. And it gets a few laughs by people passing by.

They do have a big Swamp Meet here in Tucson, been there once, but I wasn't impressed, nothing like the Broadacre Swap Meet I used to go to in Las Vegas, where I bought 3 used bikes real cheap.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:02 PM

70 posts, read 68,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Around here, yard sales are better than thrift shops, but there's still some finds at thrift shops.

We have a very transient population. Folks are always 'Moving To Paradise', then meeting up with a cockroach or discovering that they left their grandkids 2,500 miles away on the mainland and then they go back. When they arrive, they bring a 40' container full of the good stuff they didn't want to live without.

The first yard sale is when they realize the 40' container has too much stuff to fit into the smaller Hawaii houses. A typical house around here is about 1,200 square feet. These folks moved out of houses that were typically twice as big, so they bring two times too much stuff. So, they have a yard sale pretty soon after they get here.

Then, after six months to two years, they realize it's actually NOT PARADISE (oh woe!) and then they pack up and leave, but they only take a little bit back with them. So, another yard sale except this time it's a moving sale and the prices are even less.

Once things get here, they have a tendency to circulate. I've seen the same hand painted little green step stool three times at one of our local resale shops and now there's a big ceramic cat in there that has been sold there once before.
Stop making me want to move to Hawaii some more! haha.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Around here, yard sales are better than thrift shops, but there's still some finds at thrift shops.

We have a very transient population. Folks are always 'Moving To Paradise', then meeting up with a cockroach or discovering that they left their grandkids 2,500 miles away on the mainland and then they go back. When they arrive, they bring a 40' container full of the good stuff they didn't want to live without.

The first yard sale is when they realize the 40' container has too much stuff to fit into the smaller Hawaii houses. A typical house around here is about 1,200 square feet. These folks moved out of houses that were typically twice as big, so they bring two times too much stuff. So, they have a yard sale pretty soon after they get here.

Then, after six months to two years, they realize it's actually NOT PARADISE (oh woe!) and then they pack up and leave, but they only take a little bit back with them. So, another yard sale except this time it's a moving sale and the prices are even less.

Once things get here, they have a tendency to circulate. I've seen the same hand painted little green step stool three times at one of our local resale shops and now there's a big ceramic cat in there that has been sold there once before.
It’s the same in Florida. People move here and discover paradise has bugs and it’s hot, who knew? The more affluent move all their furniture and cha-cha’s down to find none of it looks right. They then refurnish their homes with lighter, airier furniture more fitting to the climate. When they move back north, they learned from the last time and sell/donate their furniture. Children of parents that are deceased or moving into care facilities are also getting rid of everything. As a result, the thrift shops here are loaded with good finds and decent stuff to outfit a second or primary home and yard sales are bountiful.

To be honest, I had never shopped in a thrift shop when I lived in the Northeast and no one else I knew did either. I thought they were for needy people. I donated, but never shopped. When moving here, my DIL, knew where the best ones were and I discovered a another world I never knew about with all manner of people shopping there. My DIL is English and younger, raised frugal and into repurposing and reusing. I’m learning.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-12-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On that trip to Salt Lake City, 4 days of thrift stores, I brought back 110 VHS tapes (watched and taken to a thrift store) 70 DVD's (watched and taken to a thrift store), 40 CD's, 50-60 nonfiction books, which is what I mostly shop for. Some stores don't categorize their books, like Goodwill, so it can take a lot of time to wade through unsorted books. And yes, I even buy underwear and socks at thrift stores. With my limited income I must prioritize. I prefer to blow any extra money on travel.

I haven't watched television or televised news in years (very unhealthy IMO) so I just watch DVD's and VHS tapes. After Trump leaves office in 2024, perhaps I might then get tempted to watch televised news again!
Get an appletv and a library card...takes up no space in a tiny trailer. That way you have even more money for travel. Those thrift store stops do add up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products