Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 12:31 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

This is so cool, I don't collect dolls or anything, but it just looks so pretty that I'd like to get one for display. 70 bucks is pricey though.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/matt...173423897.html

Quote:
A limited-edition Barbie that celebrates “Day of the Dead,” the Mexican holiday, will reportedly hit stores this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 10:23 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Creepy.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,803 times
I think she's gorgeous.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
That doll looks creepy, like something out of a horror movie. Even worse, it smacks of cultural appropriation. Not acceptable!

Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I think she's beautiful. If you've never been to a Dia de la Muertos festival and seen the little girls made up and in their gorgeous dresses, I can see how people might be shocked by it.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That doll looks creepy, like something out of a horror movie. Even worse, it smacks of cultural appropriation. Not acceptable!
More PCnik hysteria.

A doll of a lovely girl in a beautiful dress with totally un-creepy design painted on the face.

You know, there is a large enough Mexican ethnic population in the U.S. that they might well be very pleased by this limited edition around the time of their holiday.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 AM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
More PCnik hysteria.

A doll of a lovely girl in a beautiful dress with totally un-creepy design painted on the face.

You know, there is a large enough Mexican ethnic population in the U.S. that they might well be very pleased by this limited edition around the time of their holiday.
I agree. It's not a doll for kids to play - but it will make a gorgeous display. Her dress is appropriate. She has a painted face with a beautiful smile. She doesn't look tacky.
Beats the classic Barbie 1000x

Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, is not a Mexican version of Halloween. Sure, the theme is death, but the point is to demonstrate love and respect for deceased family members. In towns and cities throughout Mexico, revelers don funky makeup and costumes, hold parades and parties, sing and dance, and make offerings to lost loved ones.
Day of the Dead is an extremely social holiday that spills into streets and public squares at all hours of the day and night. Dressing up as skeletons is part of the fun. People of all ages have their faces artfully painted to resemble skulls, and, mimicking the calavera Catrina, they don suits and fancy dresses. Many revelers wear shells or other noisemakers to amp up the excitement—and also possibly to rouse the dead and keep them close during the fun.
UNESCO recognized the importance of Día de los Muertos by adding the holiday to its list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.

Perhaps some people need to know more about the celebration before making their statements.
Here you go:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...f-dead-mexico/

So, tell me how "it smacks of cultural appropriation"

BTW: She is not scary at all. I saw scary, very scary toys in toys stores.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. It's not a doll for kids to play - but it will make a gorgeous display. Her dress is appropriate. She has a painted face with a beautiful smile. She doesn't look tacky.
Beats the classic Barbie 1000x
^^^ This!

Mattel is marketing the Day of the Dead Barbie as a toy. Which makes sense; they're a toy company. But like you said, this Barbie is more appropriate for an ofrenda display or as a dignified decoration, than as a casual toy for a kid to play with. That's why I have a problem with it.

I've seen Day of the Dead parades. Mostly on live TV, but once in real life. I also saw the movie "Coco". I thought they were beautifully done.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-08-2019 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-08-2019, 01:27 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
New Barbies being released, judge for yourself.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:35 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

It's not cultural appropriation when they probably made it for Mexican customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products