Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 12:58 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I always feel awkward if I go to Costco and buy just the rotisserie chicken, so I'd end up buying a giant size thing of toilet paper, five jugs of milk, a new big screen tv, and a $20k engagement ring.

All kidding aside, it does feel weird to just stand there with just the chicken while everyone else is buying $500 worth of stuff O_O
Costco always reminds me of the coneheads - Hundreds of shoppers scrambling around hungrily going "Consume mass quantities!"

When you get in line with that lonely chicken, are you imagining it is going "Cheap, cheep, cheap", or "Where's my big screen TV?"

For me, chicken thighs are most cost effective. I don't mind the time processing them into meat for stir fry and then freezing in portion packs. I can make yummy stir fries that make rotisserie chicken seem like a dead cluck in comparison. Not everyone has the time though.

My quirk is that I keep thinking "This store sells tires AND cooked chicken?!?" Bleah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 07:10 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
When I lived closer to a Costco, I used to get a chicken every week or two. I would also buy lettuce (those big tubs of organic lettuce), milk, eggs, things that I went through a lot of on a regular basis and for a few years, also diapers and wipes as needed. Most times, it was just those basics, but every few times, I did more of a full shopping trip and ended up with more of a cartful of assorted things.

Now I live further away from the Costco, and I have a local family member who is retired and goes during the day when it's pretty empty and picks up things for me. But the timing doesn't usually work for me to get the chicken and it would be refrigerated and cold by the time I could pick it up, so not quite the same convenience. I get one at the supermarket or at Sprouts once a month or so now, because it's still very convenient to get a few meals out of without having to cook the chicken from scratch.

And I guess prices here are a lot more than I realized, because I don't think we ever have even legs or thighs on sale for under $1.29/lb now and they aren't on sale nearly as often as they used to be. And boneless thighs, which I use a lot, are now usually same price as boneless breasts, which is crazy! We prefer dark meat so I don't pay as much attention to the price for breast meat but I know the boneless breast and thighs are the same because they advertise them together under one price and $1.99 is the best I've seen in a long time, usually on sale, it's more than that. So I would have a hard time beating the price of the Costco chicken, and because of how it's cooked, even the breast meat is moister and tastier than I can cook it in the oven.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I recently bought some boneless chicken breasts ( love breasts ..
Oops, wrong thread )
Anyhoo I cut them into approx 2 inch cubes. Place in egg batter, bread crumbs and deep fry.
Place in freezer bag and when I have a craving will pull out 6 pieces, micro a few secs and a slice or so of bread for my snack.
Real nice when watching TV at night...better then sweets.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
It's called a loss-leader. ALL grocery stores do it!

That is why milk and other essentials are at the back of the store and you have to walk past the bakery or some junk filled ailse to get to it...same with all the candy and chick magazines at the counter...all impulse buys!

FWIW, I don't like Costco or Sam's rotisserie chicks...I prefer Walmart's...the rub is I love shopping Costco and Sam's but hate going into Walmart.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I thought this was interesting. Who would have thought a roast chicken was such a big deal?

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/10/...kirkland-farm/
Chicken is a staple meat for many. Beef is so expensive. Being able to get a cooked chicken for $5 is a real plus for families.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I used to buy the rotisserie chicken from Fred Meyer. They didn't check the weight for about 2 years. More times than not, I could find a 2.7 to 3.5 lb bird for $6.99 THEN the started paying attention. So I shifted to "Sometimes Walmart or Winco" The depressing thing is that it seems the cooked weights are getting lighter and the birds smaller....
The Hy-Vee stores around here charge about 6-7 dollars and their chicken is about 2/3rds to half the size and not nearly as nice as Costco's in terms of quality.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Almost every supermarket these days sells a whole roast chicken for $5 but an uncooked one is over $5.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:48 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I do buy one of those rotisserie chickens a few times a year, but for convenience, not for economics. I can make a lot more cooked chicken at home, for $5, so I always grin when people say it is a such an unbeatable deal.
Where do you get your chicken? Even at Walmart, you cant get a whole raw chicken for less than five dollars.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:13 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
If I buy something at the front of a Costco, I still go to the back to get all the samples. I limit the impulse buying by carrying the item instead of pushing a cart, but that is awkward when I need both hands to eat a sample.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
I always feel awkward if I go to Costco and buy just the rotisserie chicken, so I'd end up buying a giant size thing of toilet paper, five jugs of milk, a new big screen tv, and a $20k engagement ring.

All kidding aside, it does feel weird to just stand there with just the chicken while everyone else is buying $500 worth of stuff O_O
I know- I can't believe how much some people buy, but I know some are buying for groups (I've been told that many times the individual-sized packs of snack foods are re-sold at HS athletic games) or maybe come from further away and don't shop at Costco often so they really stock up when they do. I'm pretty darn good at sticking to my shopping list.

But- back to the OT- never bought a rotisserie chicken for myself because I eat meat or fish only about once a week, but DS and DDIL get them a lot. I do wonder how they keep them so cheap (unless it's a loss leader) but I trust Costco more than most to monitor their supply chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products