Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Couple yrs ago tried Walmarts chicken...frankly did not like the taste and my dog finished it off.
Those chickens are killed at 6 weeks as I recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I do buy one of those rotisserie chickens a few times a year, but for convenience, not for economics. I can make a lot more cooked chicken at home, for $5, so I always grin when people say it is a such an unbeatable deal.
This is true. I'll just add that part of the "deal" is the convenience factor. The hens at Costo are already made, so you don't have to prep and cook chicken yourself. I could make more chicken for $5 from recipe items alone, but I also wonder what that would do to my gas bill, which is another factor

Moving on, I know that Costo keeps the chicken at this price to lure people in who will then by other items. I have numerous times gone to Costo only for the chicken, so I'm an anomaly in that sense

Old 10-22-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Good deal or not - that chicken IS delicious! People spend more for one lousy hamburger...
I agree. The flavor is what does it for me and I'd buy the chicken even if it cost a bit more as its so damn delicious.

I just bought a Wegmans rotisserie hen (also $5) and it is NO WHERE near as flavorful as Costco's chicken, which was a big letdown.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
To my knowledge, we've never had the Italian sausage sandwich in California or Hawaii. Is it an East Coast item?
The Al Pastor salad didn't last long. I wish they would bring back the BBQued Beef and get rid of that lousy cheeseburger.
It seems to be a regional thing, but not just limited to the east coast. They had the item at Seattle Costcos before discontinuing it: https://www.wideopeneats.com/costco-food-court/

I definitely didn't see the item at Costo on Oahu.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
If I buy something at the front of a Costco, I still go to the back to get all the samples. I limit the impulse buying by carrying the item instead of pushing a cart, but that is awkward when I need both hands to eat a sample.
I do the same. If I want something that needs a cart, that walk to the front of the store gives me enough time to think if I really need the item, or if I should just check out with what I already have and go.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
EVERY single time we go to Costco for something specific, we end up coming out with other things...never fails.
I never go without a list these days. About twice a year I go in and "go wild" buying stuff I NEED but maybe can get by without. That said, it is net-net a financial boon. I got wonderful snow boots for $15. I buy toilet paper and paper towels maybe twice a year. I wore a beautiful swing style cardigan for 8 years before it got a hole in it (amazing in my house full of dogs).

The pet food is what can't be beaten though. Grain free dog and cat food, kitty litter, etc. And they have great dog toys and beds too.

Of course, now I'm shopping for stuff for my renovated kitchen, so i bought a lovely 40-piece set of Mikasa dishes (which Costco replaced with no hassle when I realized one of the bowls was broken) for $86. I actually had a woman stop me in the parking lot and compliment me on the set and my "taste" which cracked me up.

But oh lord, I love those chickens. Moist, tasty and cheap. They are wonderful in chicken salad. Yeah, I could roast one myself, but would it be that size and come out as good? Prolly not. I get them for Thanksgiving and Christmas for my dinners with my dad, and he is a huge fan. He raves about what an amazing cook I am (he has dementia, so he forgets it's store bought, lol). They are a brilliant marketing tool.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:19 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I can't remember going and buying just the chicken. When I was buying one pretty much weekly (used to live much closer to a Costco), I would also get at least one of my other staples of lettuce, milk or eggs, and for a while, diapers and baby formula were also frequent purchases.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I do buy one of those rotisserie chickens a few times a year, but for convenience, not for economics. I can make a lot more cooked chicken at home, for $5, so I always grin when people say it is a such an unbeatable deal.
Looking back on some of my conversations in the S&CP forum, I wonder how true this is today with all of the inflation we're facing

Old 01-17-2023, 09:54 AM

6,104 posts, read 2,725,398 times
The Costco Chicken is still the best deal around. Just the other day I wanted to pick up a chicken at Target they wanted $10 for it and it's much smaller than the Costco Bird no thanks.

Even if the bird cost $5.99 it still would be a good deal.

Old 01-17-2023, 06:44 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Looking back on some of my conversations in the S&CP forum, I wonder how true this is today with all of the inflation we're facing
This is true...and even with inflation, they have still kept their Chickens as a "Loss Leader" at $4.99. Pretty much the same reason a Hot Dot and Soda is still $1.50 and their Whole Pizza is $9.99. Of course on the last two we've suffered the loss of the Polish Sausage and are down to Peperoni or Cheese pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products