Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 07:43 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's unethical. You know it is or you wouldn't be on here trying to get us to convince you that it's ok. It's people like you that drive up the cost of everything for everyone else.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Any type of loss due to returned merchandise is covered by insurance. When this is not so these giant retailers always project the amount of loss well in advance. So prior to me even stepping into the store the store is covered from any potential depreciation from the returned laptop.

My single return won't make a dent in that bulk estimated amount which they anticipate.
BS, and you know it's BS, because you also know you aren't the only one rationalizing away your intent to fraud retailers by abusing a return policy meant to make it easier for legitimate shoppers to handle valid issues. Just because you are only a small part of the problem doesn't make you somehow not responsible for contributing the problem.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:58 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
So, OP, you plan on doing this for the rest of your life? Just how many electronics stores are in your area that you wouldn't run out pretty quickly, having to go through them in two-week increments? Or are you planning on driving hours to get to the next one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Any type of loss due to returned merchandise is covered by insurance. When this is not so these giant retailers always project the amount of loss well in advance. So prior to me even stepping into the store the store is covered from any potential depreciation from the returned laptop.

My single return won't make a dent in that bulk estimated amount which they anticipate.
And which will be passed on to other shoppers, but of course that won't affect you so you don't care...

Old 11-29-2019, 09:25 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I've only returned a couple things in my life but I wonder if this is a uniquely American issue.

No such thing as returns here---if you buy something expensive, the box is opened and inspected and that's it bub. On your own after that.

Maybe someone could report from Europe.

I think it's unethical, OP. Gaming the system.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:26 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Plus if you can’t afford it how can you make the initial purchase?
That's what I was wondering too. It's not a free two week trial, you have to actually purchase the laptop. Then if the OP is planning on doing this every 2 weeks, they'd constantly have money coming out of their account for this computers. And since the money doesn't go back into your account the second you return the computer, it would seem like the OP would have periods of time where they have the cost of 2 laptops coming out of their account.

And how many stores are there? It seems like this would be a temporary solution for a month or two, and then what? All that running around and paying for laptops to just end up right where you started?

I agree with others, use the public library computers until you are able to save up enough money to buy a laptop you can keep.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:38 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Op- first mistake- it's an old model. All the store has to do is pull up the inventory and last time that model was sold. Chances are that business never carried that exact model. They are under no legal obligation to accept it. I'm sure the promotional print even states that. No receipt either. So your attempt is poorly thought out.

I've worked in this computer field of customer returns. Most are referred to the manufacturer for a comparable model IF and it's a Big IF the defect is found to be unrepairable. Not due to a person simply wishing to get the current models.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:19 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Op- first mistake- it's an old model. All the store has to do is pull up the inventory and last time that model was sold. Chances are that business never carried that exact model. They are under no legal obligation to accept it. I'm sure the promotional print even states that. No receipt either. So your attempt is poorly thought out.

I've worked in this computer field of customer returns. Most are referred to the manufacturer for a comparable model IF and it's a Big IF the defect is found to be unrepairable. Not due to a person simply wishing to get the current models.
I don't think OP is looking to "return" their current computer to the store as if they had bought it there. It sounds like the plan is go to the store, "buy" a new laptop, then return it within two weeks. Go to the next store, do the same. Rinse and repeat.

As I and others have said, not very sustainable since OP would need 26 separate stores to go to in their area, just to cover them for a year. And they'd probably not have to be branches of the same chain-- like Best Buy Store #52, then Best Buy Store #126, then Best Buy Store #79, because eventually a chain's going to get hip to it, I'm sure, at least if they take your name and such down for the return (I don't know if they do).

Old 11-29-2019, 01:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
And then there is the fact that the barrier for the fraud to be a felony class crime has been met and will eliminate the need for a laptop altogether. Loss prevention will prosecute and do so without mercy. It's their job.

Old 11-29-2019, 01:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
ic

I'm curious as to which insurance companies underwrite such insurance. I've never heard of an insurance company writing such insurance before.
There is NO such insurance.

Just to be sure, I called my stepdaughter who is a shoe buyer for Nordstrom.

She laughed at me, told her coworkers then they all laughed at my question.

You return a used laptop and the company eats it.

Yes, they track you. Stores track you, department store GMs talk to other managers.

Store security talks to everyone.

Old 11-29-2019, 03:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
There is NO such insurance.

Just to be sure, I called my stepdaughter who is a shoe buyer for Nordstrom.

She laughed at me, told her coworkers then they all laughed at my question.

You return a used laptop and the company eats it.

Yes, they track you. Stores track you, department store GMs talk to other managers.

Store security talks to everyone.
I doubt that they actually pick up the phone and call each other. But they probably have access to the same customer info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products