Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 11:35 AM

8,295 posts, read 3,795,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
But if you want to pay $119 a year to get cat litter delivered in 2 days, and watch movies and TV shows that can probably be seen for free elsewhere, fine. Whatever floats your boat.
Now you have me intrigued. Where can I get seasons 1 and 2 of Mr. Robot for free? Where can I get the Amazon Prime music catalog for free?

I don't buy cat litter, but I buy all sorts of things like clothing, furniture, golf balls, etc. I don't always spend $35 in each order, but want the free shipping. Sometimes I want it the same day or next day. The convenience alone is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:39 PM

15,374 posts, read 8,989,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Now you have me intrigued. Where can I get seasons 1 and 2 of Mr. Robot for free? Where can I get the Amazon Prime music catalog for free?

I don't buy cat litter, but I buy all sorts of things like clothing, furniture, golf balls, etc. I don't always spend $35 in each order, but want the free shipping. Sometimes I want it the same day or next day. The convenience alone is worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5...ND8nJqGTvel3nw

Old 12-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:

You do realize that a YouTube Red subscription is not free, right?

You linked me to a channel that has 2 minute sneak peaks. If you think that's comparable to watching the actual show, then you, sadly, are missing out.

Where can I watch the actual episodes for free?

Old 12-26-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You do realize that a YouTube Red subscription is not free, right?

You linked me to a channel that has 2 minute sneak peaks. If you think that's comparable to watching the actual show, then you, sadly, are missing out.

Where can I watch the actual episodes for free?
How about this one then?

Series Finale Part 2 _ Videos _ Mr. Robot _ USA Network

Old 12-26-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Penny wise and pound foolish.

So in order to save $119/yr, you're suggesting that I watch it on the USA Network website which requires me to sign in with a cable TV service from one of the following providers:

Verizon Fios, AT&T U-verse, Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum/Charter, Optimum/Altice, DIRECTV, Dish.

In my area, Comcast Xfinity would cost me $50/month for the package that has USA included and Verizon FIOS would cost me $39.99/month for the package that has USA in it.

So in order for me to forgo all the the Amazon Prime benefits and save $119/yr, you're asking me to spend $480 - $600 per year.

Do others a favor and please stop trying to give financial advice.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,196,538 times
If you really pretend you are frugall, you will resist buying so much stuff, that you would not realize a benefit. A frugal person spends less than 12.99 total on store-bought stuff.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you really pretend you are frugall, you will resist buying so much stuff, that you would not realize a benefit. A frugal person spends less than 12.99 total on store-bought stuff.

This is not true at all. A frugal person tries to get the most value out of what they spend. The typical definition read like trying to spend the least to get the most [value].

What you are describing is "cheap".

Old 12-27-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
This is not true at all. A frugal person tries to get the most value out of what they spend. The typical definition read like trying to spend the least to get the most [value].

What you are describing is "cheap".
An Amazon Prime membership does not equal spending the least. A frugal person would never pay extra for expedited shipping. A frugal person would combine their orders to get free shipping without having to pay extra. That would be the most value for the least. So by your own definition Amazon Prime is not frugal. BTW I don't believe the world "most" comes up in any definitions for "frugal".

Quote:
frugal[ froo-guh l
adjective
economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful:
What your office needs is a frugal manager who can save you money without resorting to painful cutbacks.

entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty:
a frugal meal.
Frugal _ Definition of Frugal at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Synonyms for frugal
canny
careful
meticulous
prudent
stingy
thrifty
abstemious
chary
conserving
discreet
meager
mingy
*****rdly
parsimonious
penny-pinching
penny-wise
preserving
provident
saving
scrimping
sparing
spartan
tight
tightwad
unwasteful
wary
Frugal Synonyms, Frugal Antonyms _ Thesaurus.com

Old 12-27-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
An Amazon Prime membership does not equal spending the least. A frugal person would never pay extra for expedited shipping. A frugal person would combine their orders to get free shipping without having to pay extra. That would be the most value for the least. So by your own definition Amazon Prime is not frugal.

That's the most value to you. Some people value time over money. You're projecting your views of caring about money more than people and time onto others. Different people value different things.

Here's a good summary: https://money.usnews.com/money/the-f...eap-and-frugal

1. Cheap and frugal people both love to save money, but frugal people will not do so at the expense of others.
2. Frugality is about assessing the bigger picture and having the patience to cash in on the simple savings strategies.
3. Cheapness uses price as a bottom line; frugality uses value as a bottom line.
4.Cheap people are driven by saving money regardless of the cost; frugal people are driven by maximizing total value, including the value of their time.
5. Being cheap is about spending less; being frugal is about prioritizing your spending so that you can have more of the things you really care about.

----------------------------------------

Your description above focuses on being cheap, not frugal.

However, in action, you're actually wasteful. You've provided ways to spend 4-5 times as much money while you think you're getting it free.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:52 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,196,538 times
The central focus of my frugality is to resist the temptation to buy things that will have limited or even negative impact on my quality of life. It is certainly not frugal to commit myself to a shopping fee that will only have benefit if I maximize my purchases in order to recoup the fee already paid.

There have been years in which I have spent less than $120 in total for the kinds of things that can be bought through Amazon. How can it be frugal to buy enough of what I don't want, to redeem that 120 plus added value to my life?.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-27-2019 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products