Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 06:44 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Try to light an artificial tree and tell us what you think...
Statistically, artificial trees are far safer from a fire hazard:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/forget-r...e-one-instead/

See page 11 of the NFPA report, cited in the story:

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/N...stmasTrees.pdf

"A disproportionate share of Christmas tree fires involved natural trees. The data element “type of material first ignited” provides the best indication of whether the Christmas tree was artificial or natural. The code for plastic implies an artificial tree (although it could also refer to plastic ornaments on the tree) and the codes for unclassified natural product, unclassified wood or paper, round timber and sawn wood all imply a natural tree. Other codes for wood do not as clearly relate to a natural tree and also make little difference in the share of fires attributable to natural trees.

Based on these coding conventions, fires involving natural trees outnumber fires involving artificial trees by about 3 to 1, and the ratios are even higher for associated losses: 20 to 1 for civilian injuries and 5 to 1 for direct property damage. No deaths were associated with artificial trees."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 11:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,181,267 times
Real trees don't last long enough when you put your tree up in early-mid November and take it down in mid-January. I like to have my house Christmas tree-less for less than 85% of the year, ideally 80-82%.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
I don't do Christmas trees any more, but If I was going to have one it would be a plastic one. I agree with all these reasons, especially #5. I also don't want to be a part of the mass cutting down of so many trees.

Quote:
Why You Should Have an Artificial Christmas Tree vs. a Live Tree

1.) More Convenient
2.) Better Value
3.) Tailored to Your Taste
4.) Low Maintenance
5.) Safer
6.) Hypoallergenic
6 Reasons to Have an Artificial Christmas Tree Instead of a Live Tree - Hayneedle

Old 12-27-2019, 08:18 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,962 times
Artificial:
"Made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural."

Nuf said.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:03 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't do Christmas trees any more, but If I was going to have one it would be a plastic one. I agree with all these reasons, especially #5. I also don't want to be a part of the mass cutting down of so many trees.
The trees are planted to be cut down. With fewer people buying real trees, less are being planted. Some of the tree farms around here had less trees to sell because the trees that are being cut down now where planted during the recession. Since they weren't selling as many trees during the recession, they didn't plant as many new trees.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Every year, there have been house fires, sometimes fatal, caused by trees that weren't put in a stand that had water around the base. They dried out and the old type of lights that got hot, would set them ablaze.
Yep, here is one. A father and two kids burned to death because of a Christmas tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFI9VRpUnE

Old 12-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The trees are planted to be cut down. With fewer people buying real trees, less are being planted. Some of the tree farms around here had less trees to sell because the trees that are being cut down now where planted during the recession. Since they weren't selling as many trees during the recession, they didn't plant as many new trees.
Economically it probably makes sense, but environmentally, I don't think it does.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Economically it probably makes sense, but environmentally, I don't think it does.
How so? Planting trees is better for the environment, and since they're cut down with hand saws its not like cutting trees down pollutes the environment. Then after the holidays, many of the local parks have tree collections to use the old Christmas trees as habitats for the fish in the man-made lakes. Zoos and other wildlife parks also collect the trees for food and bedding for the animals.

What happens with the plastic trees once they start looking shabby? Seems they would go straight to the landfill. So how would they be more environmentally friendly than a real tree? And all those leftover trees at the stores? Was at lowes yesterday and they had a bunch in " 2019 Black Friday exclusive" boxes. At least with the tree farms, any ones that don't get cut down can stay and grow taller for next year.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How so? Planting trees is better for the environment, and since they're cut down with hand saws its not like cutting trees down pollutes the environment. Then after the holidays, many of the local parks have tree collections to use the old Christmas trees as habitats for the fish in the man-made lakes. Zoos and other wildlife parks also collect the trees for food and bedding for the animals.

What happens with the plastic trees once they start looking shabby? Seems they would go straight to the landfill. So how would they be more environmentally friendly than a real tree? And all those leftover trees at the stores? Was at lowes yesterday and they had a bunch in " 2019 Black Friday exclusive" boxes. At least with the tree farms, any ones that don't get cut down can stay and grow taller for next year.
Studies have been done on that.

Quote:
Conclusion

This LCA was conducted in order to compare the life cycle impacts of artificial Christmas trees and real
Christmas trees. The results demonstrate that on a one-to-one comparison, one real Christmas tree
generates fewer environmental impacts than one artificial Tree. This statement considers all end of life
variables for both trees across all life cycle impact categories.

The study also assumed that reasonable customers do not purchase an artificial tree and use it for only
one year. The study demonstrated that if a customer purchases an artificial tree and used it for at least
4.7 years, vs. purchasing the equivalent (4.7) real Christmas trees, the environmental burden shifts and
the artificial tree would generate fewer environmental impacts.
Life Cycle Assessment:
Comparative LCA of the Environmental Impacts of Real Christmas and Artificial Christmas
trees.
Study Completed: October 2017
Critical Review Completed: March 2018

Old 12-28-2019, 06:35 PM

Not surprising that a study done by a trade group that represents the artificial Christmas tree industry, and who's president is also CEO of Balsam Hill, would come to such a conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products