Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times

Advertisements

This came up on a website I was reading.

“Amazon will always contribute at least $15 per scheduled hour to driver pay, and often more, based on location and demand,” says Amazon spokesperson Rena Lunak. “As always, for deliveries with tipping opportunities, drivers will receive 100% of the tips.”Aug 22, 2019

So here at the big Cat's House (Not the CATHOUSE) we noticed that we never gave the delivery guy a tip because we did not know we should, and the guy comes here a few times a week. Now I did catch him right before CHristmas, and he brought a few boxes up, and I handed him a box of cookies with a bow on it, said "This is for you Merry Christmas" he said thanks and left. A few years ago, they had this really really hot chick delivering for UPS and I was determined to get to talk to her, so I made her a gift basket with fruits, chocolates etc and gave it to her when she came by She seemed thankful, but in a hurry, and after the holidays, e=never came back. So..... To Tip or not to tip ? that is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,044,855 times
No, of course not. Tipping any delivery person, except for hot food is insane.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,376,966 times
For Amazon Fresh and Amazon Prime Now deliveries, where someone actually comes to your door and hands you your items, tips are expected, like any food delivery service.

For regular Amazon deliveries where they just leave a package at your door, I wouldn't tip.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
How could you tip them? If they even bother to ring the bell, they are back in the truck before we get to the door. In most cases we know it has been delivered because we either get a text from Amazon or Alexa gives us a notification. More often than not we are not even home. It would be rare to have the same delivery person more than once, it could be FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, Ontrac, or an Amazon truck. Often more than one different truck the same day.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How could you tip them? If they even bother to ring the bell, they are back in the truck before we get to the door. In most cases we know it has been delivered because we either get a text from Amazon or Alexa gives us a notification. More often than not we are not even home. It would be rare to have the same delivery person more than once, it could be FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, Ontrac, or an Amazon truck. Often more than one different truck the same day.
This depends on where you live. Where I live in a rural town in Wyoming we do know our UPS driver his name is Justin. He's been delivering our Amazon packages for the past three years. Sometimes when he's on vacation we'll have someone else, but that's only a few times a year. He does walk our packages up to the front door and he rings our doorbell. He'll even set the stuff inside the house if it's heavy and I answer the door quickly enough. So every year for Christmas we make him cookies, or bread, or something to say Thank you for all of his hard work.

OP it's up to you if you want to tip your delivery person. If you have a friendly sort of relationship then I think it's a nice thing to do, but it's not necessary.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:45 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,067 times
I’d do it at Christmas time even if I never saw them again. Just something nice to do. But anymore due to constant mail theft I have items delivered to my P.O. Box.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
This depends on where you live. Where I live in a rural town in Wyoming we do know our UPS driver his name is Justin. He's been delivering our Amazon packages for the past three years. Sometimes when he's on vacation we'll have someone else, but that's only a few times a year. He does walk our packages up to the front door and he rings our doorbell. He'll even set the stuff inside the house if it's heavy and I answer the door quickly enough. So every year for Christmas we make him cookies, or bread, or something to say Thank you for all of his hard work.

OP it's up to you if you want to tip your delivery person. If you have a friendly sort of relationship then I think it's a nice thing to do, but it's not necessary.
I live in a small town in Oregon, and my UPS driver is a bit like that too. When I first moved here I would be expecting a delivery. About 10:00 I would hear the knock on the door. So I would put on my clothes and get to the door about 2 minutes later, expecting to pick up my package. Instead I would find a yellow note on the door. A couple of times I managed to chase her truck down before she could get out of the parking lot. She seemed perturbed, and would ask me why I didn't answer the door, for her. I told her it was fine to leave the packages on my doorstep. But she continued to knock and leave notes anyway. Now I have gotten used to trying to answer the door, when I'm expecting packages.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
There's no consistency to who the Amazon delivery person will be. Amazon is outsourcing many distribution to for hire companies that are delivering with their own people that are not employees. So you maybe nice to give some tip but it won't improve the service.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:44 PM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This came up on a website I was reading.

“Amazon will always contribute at least $15 per scheduled hour to driver pay, and often more, based on location and demand,” says Amazon spokesperson Rena Lunak. “As always, for deliveries with tipping opportunities, drivers will receive 100% of the tips.”Aug 22, 2019

So here at the big Cat's House (Not the CATHOUSE) we noticed that we never gave the delivery guy a tip because we did not know we should, and the guy comes here a few times a week. Now I did catch him right before CHristmas, and he brought a few boxes up, and I handed him a box of cookies with a bow on it, said "This is for you Merry Christmas" he said thanks and left. A few years ago, they had this really really hot chick delivering for UPS and I was determined to get to talk to her, so I made her a gift basket with fruits, chocolates etc and gave it to her when she came by She seemed thankful, but in a hurry, and after the holidays, e=never came back. So..... To Tip or not to tip ? that is the question.
Good LORD no.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
For Amazon Fresh and Amazon Prime Now deliveries, where someone actually comes to your door and hands you your items, tips are expected, like any food delivery service.

For regular Amazon deliveries where they just leave a package at your door, I wouldn't tip.
Yes, this is what is being referred to in the article that the OP copied the quote from. That is why it says "deliveries with tipping opportunities", as it does not apply to all Amazon deliveries.
Amazon will start to give a full breakdown of how much Flex drivers, who deliver for the company’s Prime Now, Fresh, and Whole Foods services, are being paid for each shift, including how much of the total payment comes from the tip.

https://www.latimes.com/business/tec...lex-fares-tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products