Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:12 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

I thought this was rude, and wanted to see if it's just me. I was at Walmart 2 days ago, in the Garden Center shopping for 75% off Christmas items. As I was walking up to the single register, a couple was in front of me with a full cart. They did not have one single item from the Garden Center in their cart, but it was overflowing with groceries. It took quite a while to even empty the cart little by little, as the Garden Center register does not have a conveyor belt of any type. I didn't say anything, but I think they knew I was annoyed as they seemed to be trying to rush. I assumed though that the store must be really crowded with long lines (I had only been in the Garden Center) however when I put my purchases in the car and walked back in, this time to the main part of the store to do my own grocery shopping, I was surprised to see very few people in lines. I think those people just don't want to wait at all, and they discovered if they go to the Garden Center they can often find the register empty.

Do others do things like this? I would be embarrassed to bring a cart full of groceries out to the Garden Center personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 11:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
When I used to go to Walmart, yes I would pay for things at the garden center. If that was the only one open and it wasn’t busy.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:41 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,493 times
Yes, I think it is very rude, especially if you have a full cart load. I don't think it's bad if you have a few items. Some people just don't care.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
When I used to go to Walmart, yes I would pay for things at the garden center. If that was the only one open and it wasn’t busy.
It wasn’t the only one open though, there were many registers open inside the main part of the store.And the garden center was fairly busy, because everything was 75% off. When they first came in, I assumed that the main part of the store must be very crowded. But like I said when I put my stuff in the car and then went back into the main part of the store I was surprised to see very few people in the lines.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
They may have parked over by the garden center to look at Christmas clearance too, and then went on to do the rest of their shopping. It makes sense to check out at the door you came in, and typically there aren't very many people checking out at the garden center.

Would it have made a difference if she had a cart full of Christmas items?

I found it odd that you waited in line to purchase some Christmas stuff, and then went back into the store to shop some more. What was the reason behind two shopping trips instead of just checking out once?

Old 01-02-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It wasn’t the only one open though, there were many registers open inside the main part of the store.And the garden center was fairly busy, because everything was 75% off. When they first came in, I assumed that the main part of the store must be very crowded. But like I said when I put my stuff in the car and then went back into the main part of the store I was surprised to see very few people in the lines.
And nothing was stopping you from using one of the open registers. Just as they were able to choose which register they wanted to use, so could you. There is no "Christmas Clearance Only" register.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Yes, I think it is very rude, especially if you have a full cart load. I don't think it's bad if you have a few items. Some people just don't care.
Yes I don’t think a few items is that big a deal but I found a full cart of food to be odd, especially considering g the Garden Center is on the opposite end of the store from the grocery department. To me it’s like bringing a full cart of food to the pharmacy or electronics department to be rung up. The cashiers pretty much have to do it but it just seems like taking liberties to me. I will have the pharmacy section ring up a few things if I’m also getting a prescription, but even if I was getting prescription I would never ever think to bring an entire cart full of food there for them to ring up.

I do think they realize they shouldn’t have done it as the line started to form behind them With people just buying a wreath or something because they seemed to be zooming as fast as they could (but again there was only so fast they could go as there was no belt). Maybe during other times of the year it’s dead in the garden center, perhaps January February March. But at times of the year such as Christmas and right after Christmas, or memorial day or some other holiday where people are very busy in the garden center, I think they should have thought more. Especially since the register lines in the store were not long at all. I only had one person in front of me when I checked out in the grocery section.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And nothing was stopping you from using one of the open registers. Just as they were able to choose which register they wanted to use, so could you. There is no "Christmas Clearance Only" register.
At the time, I could not see the registers in the main part of the store as the garden center is separate with a separate entrance. I parked at the garden center and went into the garden center. As I said, I assumed the main store must be crowded for them to have brought their groceries all the way out there, and was surprised to see it wasn’t when I entered the main store after putting my garden center purchases in the car.

I think if it was meant for groceries, there would be a conveyor belt there. It was very awkward and slow moving for them to pay for an entire cart of items when they could only take them out of the cart to be rung up a couple of things at a time.

I know there’s no law against it or no official rules, I just felt it was nervy and selfish and I wanted to see if others felt the same. I would not do it.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
At the time, I could not see the registers in the main part of the store as the garden center is separate with a separate entrance. I parked at the garden center and went into the garden center. As I said, I assumed the main store must be crowded for them to have brought their groceries all the way out there, and was surprised to see it wasn’t when I entered the main store after putting my garden center purchases in the car.
And maybe they too parked at the garden center, or wandered over to the garden center to look at Christmas decor and opted to check out at the empty register instead of walking back over to the other registers.

On the rare occasion that my husband and I have to go to Walmart, we always park at the garden center entrance since there is always plenty of parking there. We also check out at the garden center since that is the entrance we will be exciting from. I think it's silly to expect anyone to walk back and forth across the entire store because you have it in your mind that certain registers are reserved for specific types of purchases.

You seem to have a specific way that you think things need to be done (evidence by checking out twice for your two different types of purchases), but not everyone is going to think like you. They want to get in and out as quickly as possible and move on with their day. For most, that means checking out at the nearest empty register.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:23 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
I believe all registers can be used to ring up any store purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products