Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:17 AM

3,213 posts, read 1,599,708 times

Advertisements

I would also worry about possible malware embedded inside a Word document. I would not open that document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,000,063 times
Any email from your bank or a business like that should be ignored.
You can go to your account online to see if there is a message there.
Call if unsure.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,059,415 times
send them a virus, titled "Payment".

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM

15,139 posts, read 27,747,332 times
I hope OP didn't honestly think this was or might be real?

Old 02-20-2020, 03:07 PM

1,159 posts, read 618,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
That is what I was afraid of.
Thank you Oldgorilla ...

Hopefully, this may help other people

IR
You had to really question if it was real?

Old 02-20-2020, 11:27 PM

497 posts, read 483,873 times
I received a similar email. I forwarded it to: stop-spoofing@amazon.com. Amazon seems to take this kind of thing seriously.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 AM

50,670 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
General rule of thumb: Any communication supposedly from a a major company like Amazon or AT&T will not contain misspellings and bad grammar. If it does, it's fake.

I have heard that the errors are actually deliberate. The sort of person who won't notice them is the same sort of person who will innocently hand over their social security or debit card number. Could be an old person with poor eyesight and limited knowledge of technology, or a less educated person. That's who the scammers are targeting.
They also will not say anything like “dear customer”. A legit letter from a business will have your name.

I get fake emails from Apple saying “here is your receipt for such and such“ Hoping I’ll click on the link that says “ click here if you feel you’ve received this in error“, and also fake emails from (fake) FedEx “We were unable to deliver your package”. Again hoping I will click on the link in the email.

This is the reason I have never tried to teach my elderly mother how to do basic things on the computer. I know she would love to be able to shop online, but I would never be able to teach her this sort of thing without scaring her to death. And then she’d say I’m not touching this thing!

Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM

20,599 posts, read 4,399,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is the reason I have never tried to teach my elderly mother how to do basic things on the computer. I know she would love to be able to shop online, but I would never be able to teach her this sort of thing without scaring her to death. And then she’d say I’m not touching this thing!
That's one of the main reasons for me. It would be nice to have her look up stuff for herself. But this kind of stuff would be more of a headache for me. I'd need to explain not to open that, click this, do that,
all the time. It's easier for me to do it for her.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:53 PM

15,396 posts, read 9,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have always assumed that the errors are because the spammers are from outside the U.S. and are not native English speakers. But saibot's theory is interesting, too. I've gotten two or three of those fake Amazon notifications just in the past week. The best thing to do is to forward them to stop-spoofing@amazon.com. They prefer that you open a new e-mail, copy the suspected spoof message and send it as an attachment rather than just forwarding, but I don't know how to do that.
I get at least one voicemail a week from thugs with Indian accents, yelling into the phone in broken English, telling me that they are with the IRS and I had better call them back immediately or they are going to stop my Social Security benefits. As soon as I hear them, I hit "delete".

Back to the subject. My general rule is to ignore all messages from web service companies, even if it seems legitimate. If their threats to block my accounts come true, I will deal with it at that point. The odds are it's just a scam anyway.

Lately I have been getting a lot of online notifications from both eBay and Google to verify my accounts. I just keep ignoring them. I don't know what that's all about. But I'm not even sure I can verify those accounts if I wanted to. Neither eBay or Google have my primary email address or true phone number, and I don't intend to give them that information.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:31 PM

838 posts, read 564,515 times
No.

Amazon will never send you a docx file or send you email from a sketchy domain like that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products