Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 04:01 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
In Oregon, stores don't even offer bags anymore. You have to bring your own bag, but the clerks do bag merchandise if you bring a bag. This started January 1st and people seem to getting the hang of it. We bought cloth bags for about $.99 and we keep them in the car. I think the intent was to slow down the proliferation of plastic bags in the landfills.
Do you really live in Oregon? I have yet to have an Oregon store not offer me bags, and I don't bring my own. Nothing has changed since the new law took effect, except my plastic bag consumption has increased by 1,000%, due to new much heavier bags. The law did not slow down the proliferation of plastic bags, it increased it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 04:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Unless I forget my reusable bags at home, I don't want a bag. Only if I have a big order of small articles, I can carry everything out to the car without a bag.

Plastic bags can be handy at times, but they also add a LOT of plastic to our landfills.

It angers me to see people buying 8-10 bags every time they shop for groceries. Reusable bags make so much more sense. They are FAR stronger, easier to carry and less impact on the environment.

To people who worry about cross-contamination, put your meat into a separate bag. Problem solved.

Washing them is easy, so contamination isn't a problem.
Guilty - I do not even think to use reusable bags outside of a trip to Aldi, but rest assured, each and EVERY bag we take home gets used. We simply use them to line our bathroom trash cans. Endless supply. When the trash is full, you even have convenient handles to tie it off.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Hmmm I don't think so. I'm young and I consider it rude and lack of customer service if they don't offer a bag.has nothing to do with age! I don't know why people lump youths in one category....
LOL, yeah but you are still showing your age. I am old and I remember the days when bags weren't offered, they were provided, even if you had just one item. That wasn't even considered customer service, but this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajfVzrV4cw

Old 02-22-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
What stores do you go to that don't have bags? Every store I've ever been to in Portland has bags, although you do have to pay for them.
Yeah, same on the coast. They always ask. But I don't have to pay for the bags with my EBT card.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Where do you shop where you think any of that will ever happen?
Most of it is already happening. The bag fee has become standard in most places. Aldi stores charge 25 cents to use their shopping carts. Thank god I have never shopped in an Aldi, and I hope I never have to. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if some places charge customers a fee if they need help carrying a large item out.

Bag fees are probably the biggest consumer ripoffs in history.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
I remember just a short time ago, baggers putting your grocery bags in your cart for you. Not anymore! Plus I do a lot of self check-out and save them money so you would think when checkers check you out, they would use courtesy, which goes a long way, and put your bags full of groceries in your cart!
Me too. It's pretty sad, when people consider it good customer service, if a clerk asks if you need a bag.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I have noticed something approaching this, but not quite "not offering".

Instead, I've noticed more cashiers asking "would you like me to bag XYZ for you?" or "would you like a bag?" where before, it was simply bagged.

On that note, I received a paper straw in my drink today at Pei Wei. No, I do not live in CA.
OMG, I usually have several bottles of water in my car, but the other day I ran out. So when I was going through the Burger King drive thru I asked for a cup of water. They gave it to me with this giant cardboard straw in it. While I was drinking the water all I could taste was the cardboard. Another good reason to make sure I always have plenty of PLASTIC water bottles with me. This anti-plastic BS is really starting to PO me.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OMG, I usually have several bottles of water in my car, but the other day I ran out. So when I was going through the Burger King drive thru I asked for a cup of water. They gave it to me with this giant cardboard straw in it. While I was drinking the water all I could taste was the cardboard. Another good reason to make sure I always have plenty of PLASTIC water bottles with me. This anti-plastic BS is really starting to PO me.
The texture of the straw for me is cringe-inducing, akin to tasting from a wooden spoon, or nails on a chalkboard.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Unless I forget my reusable bags at home, I don't want a bag. Only if I have a big order of small articles, I can carry everything out to the car without a bag.

Plastic bags can be handy at times, but they also add a LOT of plastic to our landfills.

It angers me to see people buying 8-10 bags every time they shop for groceries. Reusable bags make so much more sense. They are FAR stronger, easier to carry and less impact on the environment.

To people who worry about cross-contamination, put your meat into a separate bag. Problem solved.

Washing them is easy, so contamination isn't a problem.
I reuse my grocery bags for trash bags, as does everybody else I know. So since the new law took effect in Oregon, the amount of plastic I dump in the landfill has increased by 1,000%, due to the new extra thick plastic bags.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The texture of the straw for me is cringe-inducing, akin to tasting from a wooden spoon, or nails on a chalkboard.
Yeah. I love plastic. It's durable, it keeps things fresh, it doesn't put a bad taste in things. It's a wonderful product. We will never get rid of it, so we need to recycle it. It seems people have forgotten all the reasons that plastic became so common in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products