Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 06:14 PM

6,411 posts, read 3,896,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Even 20 years ago, teens were only interested in one or two pieces from Tiffany, namely the ‘Return to Tiffany’ bracelets and necklaces, and maybe an Elsa Peretti heart necklace or earrings. These items are still popular among some teens. But teens weren’t the core customer for the rest of their range then, and they aren’t now. They’re not priced to attract teens.
Of course, this has nothing to do with millennials, who are nearing 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Gap cannabilized its own customers by offering better, cheaper stuff at Old Navy. Old Navy used to be a lot lower quality and less stylish than Gap. Now Gap looks like a crappy, bland, low-quality, overpriced Old Navy has been.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,606,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Millenials and younger gens are still living in Mom & Dad's basement - they can barely afford the latest iPhone much less well crafted art items. They'll just wait for mom & dad to die, inherit some stuff, and sell it for the next iPhone, then text how life is so unfair.
You do realize that the oldest Millennials are in their late 30s. Many make six figures, have solid careers, and are the biggest contingent buying homes right now. I don’t know any Millennials in this contingent you mention who live in their parents’ basement making no money. Most I know (I am a late Gen X) have good careers, own homes, have kids in multiple activities, etc. They simply have no interest in Tiffany’s because they are busy spending their money on other things like activities for their children, paying off student loans, etc.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:44 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,520,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/learnin...p/5303649.html

What young person can afford Tiffany's anyway? I still like the Gap but mainly baby gap for my daughter.. the clearance section only. Target sucks.

Why do people lump everyone together?
I put this in the fashion section instead of current events since obviously it's talking about fashion
I like Target. Haven't been to a Gap in ages, but I plan on trying it for some jeans. Jeans aren't high quality, any more, so having trouble finding new ones. But I'm older. I never went by store name, anyway.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,612,929 times
That makes them smarter than the older generation that did buy Tiffany Jewelry.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:18 AM

23,821 posts, read 33,339,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/learnin...p/5303649.html

What young person can afford Tiffany's anyway? I still like the Gap but mainly baby gap for my daughter.. the clearance section only. Target sucks.

Why do people lump everyone together?
I put this in the fashion section instead of current events since obviously it's talking about fashion
Not surprised to see Harley Davidson mentioned too. Back when I started riding motorcycles in the early 80's there were still a lot of nice older bikes riding still. I had a 72 chromed out sportster, an 82 sporterster and a 92 and 99 sportster 1200.

When we got the 99 in 2001; Harley's were all around. Suddenly every yuppy had to have one, and they did. Harley has enjoyed a huge surge due to that, then people wanted cheaper bikes or they just don't ride at all due to traffic

Quote:
At Harley Davidson, sales of motorcycles have been decreasing since 2014. The brand once represented freedom and the possibilities of the open road. Now, young people want to use ride-sharing companies to move around.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:41 AM

6,411 posts, read 3,896,887 times
The other problem of logic we see here is that brands, and their popularity, wax and wane. This is neither surprising nor a cause for alarm or angst, as it's been the way things are for decades. So Tiffany and Gap and Harley Davidson have had their day. So what? Other brands take their place, and they too will fall out of favor some day.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,420,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really? All of them?

I have two millennials and neither one lives in my basement. Nor do any of the millennials I know off.

Generalize much?
I have one millennial and he is currently living several states away. I will say that he is absolutely not interested in name brands; not at all.

He used to work as a buyer and clerk in a very large second hand store in Chicago (when he was in college) and he is ALL about secondhand stores.

If I buy him a nice say . . Nautica shirt for Christmas; he'll ask me how much it costs and then tell me he could probably buy the same thing for two dollars.

So I have stopped buying him anything expensive.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:50 AM

50,319 posts, read 35,975,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
"Like their parents were"? My kids are in their 30s, and neither my wife nor I ever considered buying anything from Tiffany & Co., and only bought at the Gap because our kids wanted something from there when they were still at home. I have no idea where they buy anything now that they are grown and on their own.
I mainly bought my pants at the Gap in the 70’s. It was very popular with kids. It was a very different type store then. Cubes full of jeans, nothing remotely expensive. I lived in Levi’s navy blue cords, I wore them till the day I did the post-wash “split” to loosen them up and the actual pants would split at the thighs. I always knew the day was coming cause the inner thigh would start to become thin and see through. Then I’d go to the mall, right to the Gap, go to the cube with my size of the exact same pants and start all over.

Once we were going somewhere and had to be there at a certain time and that’s the day they picked to tear. I had a fit/tantrum and insisted I had nothing else to wear, till my mom agreed to stop at the mall so I could grab a new pair on the way. What can I say, except my butt looked great in them, lol.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:56 AM

50,319 posts, read 35,975,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I have one millennial and he is currently living several states away. I will say that he is absolutely not interested in name brands; not at all.

He used to work as a buyer and clerk in a very large second hand store in Chicago (when he was in college) and he is ALL about secondhand stores.

If I buy him a nice say . . Nautica shirt for Christmas; he'll ask me how much it costs and then tell me he could probably buy the same thing for two dollars.

So I have stopped buying him anything expensive.
Does that extend to sneakers? My nephews even at 11, 12 years old would ask me for certain sneakers for Christmas and I’d look them up and they were $150! I said you’re nuts, here’s a $50 Nike gift card, save up for them.

The most expensive sneakers we had were Converse and even they weren’t that expensive. I had to wear Bo-Bo’s though, which meant cheap K-Mart type sneaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products