Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The first people bought it because they felt helpless and felt that doing something, anything would help them be better prepared than the rest of us. Then others saw and did the same, which caused more to buy it, and more, and more. Eventually those who need it for regular use, and not to stockpile, saw the stock dwindling so they started buying.

And now we are working our way towards the 3 shells.
I am in the regular use category. I waited until my usual shop. It took me five stores to find toilet paper! Because of that I bought double my usual amount. At the store I bought mine at people were buying cart loads of TP. It is so bizarre and just wrong to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
We are fortunate to have enough space in our home for a pantry. So, we always have at least a month’s supply of everything, and most often I resupply paper products when I am a couple of weeks to depletion. I didn’t buy TP, knowing the madness would expire before I needed any. However, this craziness has inspired me to consider bidet-type adaptions to our conventional toilets so that a cloth towel would only be needed.

Have the time to research now!

Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I think there were several reasons stockpiled toilet paper.

When you are warned (early on, we were warned) that this virus might cause shortages as supply chains began to dry up, to stock up for a couple of weeks worth of stuff you might need...people did.

Then people were told if they caught the virus, you'd be quarantined for 2 weeks, in your homes. And so people bought more.

Then people were being told to shelter in place, to flatten the curve, and a LOT of companies have sent their employees home. So now you have all these people home, using their toilet paper at home (as opposed to doing their business at work) so MORE use for toilet paper at home.

And then whenever there's bad news, there are opportunists who take advantage of the situation and stock pile to extreme measures, and try to sale it back to the public at exorbitant prices.

We don't need toilet paper in our household yet. Probably not for another couple of weeks.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:09 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Although there was some hoarding, I think a large part was just that everyone was trying to stock up at one time. And when the shelves start to get empty, it triggers more buying.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:22 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Relief is on the way. The President will likely enact his "Wartime President" powers to press Santa and his Elves into service to re-stock store shelves....

Maybe Credence Clearwater will re-band to send a message to the 60 plus crowd to shelter in place, not go out (especially at night) and avoid public restrooms in favor of their own in the home...

"Don't go round tonight
For it's bound to take your life
There's a bathroom on the right"

Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I used to live on an island, and every time there was a rumor of a boat strike, all the TP would disappear off the store shelves. Plus, we lived more than half an hour from the grocery store, so there were no quick trips.

That got me in the habit of having an abundance of necessities in stock, and being mindful of possible future issues. So we stocked up in February, estimating what we would need for a couple of months. We don't have a lot of storage, but there are no cartons stacked in heaps, so I don't think we overdid it. Wish I'd bought more frozen veggies, though.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:42 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Because they're insane.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Because, as suspected, America has it's share of two legged a-holes.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because they never heard of a bidet.
Ummm. no.

I have heard of one, even used one many years ago.
However, I do not have one in my house and do not see the need for one either.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
I can't understand it either. It's ridiculous. They've also cleaned out the water AND the water filter pitchers, as if we're undergoing a natural disaster or nuclear apocalypse that has wiped out our infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products