Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

This difference of "opinion" on what to do is why the US infected rate is growing at an ever-increasing rate.. I mean, between Monday and Tuesday (3/30 to 3/31), there were 22,500 NEW, confirmed, cases. One day.

Chart here:
https://www.cdc.gov/TemplatePackage/...son&class=mb-3

And right now the "peak" is still forecast as 3 weeks or more out (though some are looking at historical data and saying we're 200 days out). So, 3 weeks more at the BEST, an actual daily growth rate of 13% (based on actual CDC data from the chart above) means that in 3 weeks time, 2.5 million more people will have it. A week more than that? 6 million. One more week? 13.5 million. We will Absolutely peak by 2 months though, at the current growth rate there will be no more population left to get sick by then.

Since the American population is not now taking this seriously (as a whole, the people who see the seriousness are too small a minority), it's unlikely they will take it seriously until they lose someone to this virus. Sad, but people don't take anything seriously if it's not directly impacting them. But just you wait, there will be crys of outrage that there wasn't more done by the powers in charge... never mind that it is the individual who must act.

As for the snarky person who thinks there's no point to isolation, that you're going to get it later on anyway... well, d'uh. Yes, the REAL point is that you want to push it out far enough into the future that the medical system isn't overwhelmed. Get sick right at the peak and there will be NO help, because the staff will be over-worked, there will be no supplies, everyone suffers more. It's not that this virus is an immediate death sentence, most people under 60 are just going to feel bad for a couple weeks. It's the total lack of medical availability for those who DO need additional assistance that's the big killer. Well, and soon the medical field will be wiped out from A) getting it themselves or B) exhaustion. The idea is to get to the Other side of that hump so it's old hat, there are more people leaving the hospitals than entering them, the supply chain has a chance to catch up with demand and the staff get a chance for some rest/recovery.

But you just go on with your bad self, get out to the stores several times a week, visit parks and beaches.... everything's just Fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
This difference of "opinion" on what to do is why the US infected rate is growing at an ever-increasing rate.. I mean, between Monday and Tuesday (3/30 to 3/31), there were 22,500 NEW, confirmed, cases. One day.

Chart here:
https://www.cdc.gov/TemplatePackage/...son&class=mb-3

And right now the "peak" is still forecast as 3 weeks or more out (though some are looking at historical data and saying we're 200 days out). So, 3 weeks more at the BEST, an actual daily growth rate of 13% (based on actual CDC data from the chart above) means that in 3 weeks time, 2.5 million more people will have it. A week more than that? 6 million. One more week? 13.5 million. We will Absolutely peak by 2 months though, at the current growth rate there will be no more population left to get sick by then.

Since the American population is not now taking this seriously (as a whole, the people who see the seriousness are too small a minority), it's unlikely they will take it seriously until they lose someone to this virus. Sad, but people don't take anything seriously if it's not directly impacting them. But just you wait, there will be crys of outrage that there wasn't more done by the powers in charge... never mind that it is the individual who must act.

As for the snarky person who thinks there's no point to isolation, that you're going to get it later on anyway... well, d'uh. Yes, the REAL point is that you want to push it out far enough into the future that the medical system isn't overwhelmed. Get sick right at the peak and there will be NO help, because the staff will be over-worked, there will be no supplies, everyone suffers more. It's not that this virus is an immediate death sentence, most people under 60 are just going to feel bad for a couple weeks. It's the total lack of medical availability for those who DO need additional assistance that's the big killer. Well, and soon the medical field will be wiped out from A) getting it themselves or B) exhaustion. The idea is to get to the Other side of that hump so it's old hat, there are more people leaving the hospitals than entering them, the supply chain has a chance to catch up with demand and the staff get a chance for some rest/recovery.

But you just go on with your bad self, get out to the stores several times a week, visit parks and beaches.... everything's just Fine.
I am not seeing people not taking this seriously at all. Oh sure there will always be those who only thing of themselves, but most everyone we know, are talking it quite seriously; of course some more than others.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:56 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Just order online and have it delivered.
I have been doing this through Shipt for the last 3 weeks, with very mixed results. There were a lot of outages and substitutions. WalMart has no delivery slots at all, and that's where I usually buy most of my groceries, with pickup outside the store. Of course, they stopped that service a month ago as well. I've been totally isolated in the house for 6 weeks now, so I placed an online order today and will do curbside pickup at a grocery store that is 19 miles from my house. It's a lovely drive on a 2-lane road past farms and ponds, and I have printed my grocery list to show any state troopers who might stop me to inquire about my travel purpose. I'll be safer in my own car than venturing into a local grocery store and will get to enjoy some scenery at the same time, which will improve my stir-crazy mood. It's worth the gas cost to me!

Old 04-02-2020, 11:01 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Just order online and have it delivered.
Not available in many small towns and rural areas.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:41 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Thanks all for the responses. Yeah, it's that paradox that going even once to a grocery store in 2 weeks just to fill up on healthy foods increases the likelihood of catching the virus. Even with fewer crowds and continuous wipe downs of counters and shelves, you never really know where the virus lurks or if someone had missed a spot. Then with food deliveries, you don't know if the food handler is well either. Well, if we decide no one is going out this week, perhaps I will subscribe to a delivery service like Stop and Shop's Peapod and try it out.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Not available in many small towns and rural areas.
So true. We are between rural and urban here in NWA. We can get delivery from one of our stores, but not the rest. Drive up pick up is the closest we can get and often no spots are available for days. We just do our best at social distancing and run in, run out. We are pretty much limiting to once every week or so, trying to only shop every 2 weeks if possible.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Thanks all for the responses. Yeah, it's that paradox that going even once to a grocery store in 2 weeks just to fill up on healthy foods increases the likelihood of catching the virus. Even with fewer crowds and continuous wipe downs of counters and shelves, you never really know where the virus lurks or if someone had missed a spot. Then with food deliveries, you don't know if the food handler is well either. Well, if we decide no one is going out this week, perhaps I will subscribe to a delivery service like Stop and Shop's Peapod and try it out.
Along with what many of us have said: use common sense, we have to remember, we can not always know who has touched what not can we 100% protect ourselves and our families. Let's all take this seriously but also relax a little and not over react.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You shouldn't hoard food, because most of the time it will go bad or expired. People need to learn to eat less and conserve food. This is the most important time to start eating healthy by eating less and eating wholesome foods not cans and dry packaged processed foods. When you eat processed foods your body produces more waste and your body is still hungry because it needs real nutrients not found in processed foods. Many minerals cannot be absorbed correctly by just popping a vitamin they can only be absorbed through foods such as potassium.
Tell those in areas with limited option during normal times and even more limited options now

Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
It was almost surreal at Aldi's yesterday. Full shelves but for cheap bread and paper goods. Paper towels with Easter print were fully stocked. I saw one couple with masks. Pleasant conversation with a customer and the cashier. A young lady took my buggy, gave me a quarter and thanked me.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I live with a family member who is paranoid about the whole virus pandemic and constantly argues with me every time I want to replenish our groceries. He reckons it is safer to eat up until there is nothing left to eat in the house as if we were under occupation during a war while I argue that is a stupid unsupported idea. I also argue that shopping today won't be any much different than shopping next Tuesday. So who is right and what should we do? Can there be a compromise?
This isn't a shopping problem and by the time your present stash is gone the infection rate and death rate are probably going to be much higher even adding more fear. About the only option I see is to be ordering out everyday right now. For the home delivery of groceries which now seem to have long waiting list because of other fearful people get in line right now.

Yes it will cost more, but that is just one cost of fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products