Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 06:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Long time ago, before Costco required membership entry. People at inner cities would enter Costco to steal merchandise by pushing a full cart of items with a receipt they found. That's what started with the receipt crossing at the gate. Some people would go into the store and just open containers and eat the items. I recently saw this case in NJ where 2 ladies opened a shrimp ring and started eating them. Totally appalling to see such behavior and other people viewed it and not report due to racial sensitivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Long time ago, before Costco required membership entry. People at inner cities would enter Costco to steal merchandise by pushing a full cart of items with a receipt they found. That's what started with the receipt crossing at the gate. Some people would go into the store and just open containers and eat the items. I recently saw this case in NJ where 2 ladies opened a shrimp ring and started eating them. Totally appalling to see such behavior and other people viewed it and not report due to racial sensitivity.
Thanks for the historic perspective- I think DH and I joined 15 years ago. Never knew the reason for crossing off on the receipt but I'd heard that re-using receipts that people throw away in the parking lot is a scam at other stores, too. I found it off-putting that you needed a membership card to go in (some exceptions in states where they have to open he Liquor Department to everyone) but given the popularity of free samples (before they were discontinued) I can see why now.

As for kids not being the problem- I agree. First of all, it's those giant carts. If you don't park them close to the side of an aisle no one else can get through. And then it's people who just amble. Get outta my way! Sometimes I just park my cart in an area where it won't block people and walk to the more-congested area to get what I want.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I open and eat food in the supermarket but I scan the empty container at checkout. No one has ever said it’s not allowed.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If you think things are bad at Costco, go to a Sams Club where the they should require people to wear "Wide Load" signs on their back so you're not stuck in an aisle behind one of them.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:34 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Kudos to Costco!

2 people per card makes, no reason for kids to be running around in a store at times like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
Truly this makes sense. My husband and I can and do go in together sometimes but it's not a social outing. I realize those with young'uns cant leave them home, but I guess as long as it's a 2 adult household, they either stay home or in the car with the other adult. I can see this being a hardship for either single parent households or even two parent households when not everyone is available, but overall the pros outweigh the negative.
Not a social outing- keeping exposures to a minimum all around.
I was soooo impressed with Costco. Went there 2 days ago and they set the example for how it should be done.
Employees wiping down keypads between each customer (even on gas pump) , wiping down each cart, plastic shield between customer and cashier, cashier wiping down belt and area between customers. and on and on. Also most employees were wearing gloves and some with masks as well.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:28 AM

417 posts, read 454,749 times
They continue to set the high bar that all other retailers should follow.
DH went yesterday -just him alone not with me- and he said it was still so well done and in control. I really wish that all the stores were like that. It really would cut down on any spread.

Edited to add- they had toilet paper!! well stocked! so now we should REALLY be good until maybe July August. (I honestly don't know our usage but we had about 8 rolls and just scored the mega pack which we will share with our daughter).

Old 04-25-2020, 07:00 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Kudos to Costco!

2 people per card makes, no reason for kids to be running around in a store at times like this.
A few weeks ago DS, who does the shopping for their family of 5 now, told me that there were still whole families shopping at the Costco in Des Moines. I'm very glad they shut that down.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I'm glad they are limiting it to 2 per card. Hope it continues.

I grow tired of trying to maneuver around families with grandparents and kids in tow. They wander from sample station to station, blocking the aisles, their restless youngsters climbing on the merchandize.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I don't mind a single or couple taking kids with them if they have kids that are at least as well behaved as my dogs - not running around, being oblivious to other shoppers who are trying to get past them, etc.

Now that I live in VA the Costco in Winston-Salem is not bad and I can go on a weekday, but back in CA on the weekends it was so often a nightmare and took so long. I considered getting one of those really loud air horns but figured it would get me kicked out, not move others.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:18 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm glad they are limiting it to 2 per card. Hope it continues.

I grow tired of trying to maneuver around families with grandparents and kids in tow. They wander from sample station to station, blocking the aisles, their restless youngsters climbing on the merchandize.
All this, and for Sam's Club, too.

Having to endlessly maneuver around clots of large family and/or 'let's take all the kids to Costco, Brenda' pair-ups is irritating in the best of times. When it's feeding time at the zoo, it's worse. (The whole thing of going to Costco to feed everyone lunch one bite at a time is... boggling.)

The worst so far, though, was in a grocery story... a guy with about six young kids, just sort of rampaging around, not the slightest reason for them to be there... guy didn't even have a cart, just two or three items in hand, and one was old enough to have stayed home with the rest for a quick grocery run. Nothing like masks, of course.

And, of course, Brenda and Marcy not only have to check out separately, but sometimes have four or five separate transactions — you know, Grandma's stuff and the takeout orders for a neighbor or two. Making their swirling mass of brats at the register almost intolerable.

T's first law of warehouse stores: Never, ever get in line behind two women together, no matter how short the line or how few items they seem to have. Guaranteed to be two or three separate transactions, coupled with a gentle spat about who's going to pay for the two-pack of cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products