Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is why I am now only buying pre packaged produce. I have no desire to have someone's sweating fingerprints on my tomato, or peaches. Gross.
I've been using an organic fruit/vegetable wash for years. The bottle says eliminates 99.9% of chemicals & waxes. Not sure if it removes "germs" but it's better than just rinsing your produce. Thank about how many people touch that peach from the time it is harvested till it gets to your grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You don't think someone who shops for a living knows how to tell when fruits and vegetables are ready to eat?
I once had a grocery store cashier hold up an item and ask me if it was artichoke or asparagus. No joke. She legitimately didn't know the difference.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I once had a grocery store cashier hold up an item and ask me if it was artichoke or asparagus. No joke. She legitimately didn't know the difference.
It was 4524

Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Her paycheck does not stretch to needing to know artichokes or asparagus.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Took one week's advance order; but with proper planning I don't see why anyone had to join the crowd at Costco.... (and taking the risk)

Attachment 219152
Had to laugh, at myself: I'm used to submitting an order, occasionally, and having it turn up later than day. Ah, the good old days (aka "February.") So to OP's point, was running just a tad low on things I want, though thank God don't "need" per se: I have canned and frozen goods for a month and takeout is a call away. These are frosting on the cake items like cheese and milk.

SO, I read on local lists that delivery from grocery is slowed way down. Ok...so shifted from one to another format via my favorite grocer: I pickup. Sure enough had a Sunday afternoon slot (today as I write), so I loaded up a bunch of nice-to-haves, and will be ready for me to pickup instead (heavens to Betsy: I have to drive three miles to the store? Like I have anything better to do.) They'll probably have it waiting. End of drama, took planning a whopping three days ahead.

People who can't do that are probably vagrants, 7-11 Ghouls, and other reprobates. Go to the soup kitchen. Oh, that's shut down, too. Hmm. Leave the state, then.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:58 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
I was once way undercharged at Sprouts, the store known for its produce, because the cashier insisted that the large bag of shiitake mushrooms I had were cremini. Believe me, they were shiitake, and were twice the $$$ per pound as the cremini she charged me for.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
https://www.fredmeyer.com/hc/help/fa...-shop/delivery

This the Fred Meyer FAQ page about home delivery of grocery items. Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger. I imagine that your local Kroger owned chain has similar arrangements with InstaCart.

If you have questions you can have a look.

And, you have to order days in advance.

Tips for shopper are added into the bill, as I understand it.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:14 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.fredmeyer.com/hc/help/fa...-shop/delivery

This the Fred Meyer FAQ page about home delivery of grocery items. Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger. I imagine that your local Kroger owned chain has similar arrangements with InstaCart.

If you have questions you can have a look.

And, you have to order days in advance.

Tips for shopper are added into the bill, as I understand it.

The problem with the Kroger's deliveries are the same as their pick-up service. You order 15 items and you get eight. And that is after you have waited 5-7 days for a "pick-up slot." If I place an order today on Sunday, it will be Saturday before it is ready.

Or I can place the order on Sunday and get 90%+ of the product from Walmart on Tuesday evening. It is NOT a hard call.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Guess just have to enjoy while it lasts. I'm placing the order for next week's delivery now...

You are fortunate you can. Out here in NJ, if i attempt to do an online order, the next available delivery date is April 18th. Today is the 5th. That is how backed up they are.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
But not on shopping via a delivery service, right?

I can tell that you really don't have much, if any, experience with delivery services. You can leave specific instructions for your shopper when you place your order. Moreover, you can even communicate with your shopper via text message while s/he is picking out your groceries. (TBH, I don't know if that is uniformly the case with all delivery services, but it is the case with Instacart.)

You don't think someone who shops for a living knows how to tell when fruits and vegetables are ready to eat?

Then don't use them. But don't tell others what to expect from their delivery service when you have absolutely no knowledge of how the process works.
I notice you avoided the question of what the store does with the less than ideal bananas. I laugh at the idea that there is some kind of qualifying screening for who becomes a "professional shopper." The quicker the shopper gets through the order, the quicker they can do the next. The top of the pile is where your meat and produce is coming from; they're not going to eat any of it so what would be their motivation to take extra time to find the perfect tomato?

Unless they're going to eat it all at one time most people don't want all their produce to be "ready to eat" if they're not shopping or getting a delivery every day. Being such a proponent and not even acknowledging shortcomings in the delivery systems that many here have identified leads one to believe you may have a financial interest in their success.

And don't be so arrogant to tell me what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products