Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 08:02 PM

143 posts, read 111,690 times

Advertisements

I went to 4 stores today for grocery shopping. Hannaford, Shoprite, Aldi, and Walmart. Now, my state has mandated wearing a mask when out in public and social distancing is hard to do. I consider grocery stores in that category. Of the 4 stores I shopped at, only Walmart had some shoppers without masks, and one employee whose mask wasn't on. Some stores have people at the entrance to make sure you have a mask on, but Walmart is only concerned with checking your receipt and cart on the way out of the store. They also had several tight aisles clogged up with workers restocking, like-can't that be done after the store is closed to customers? Trust me when I say there was no one restocking in the toilet paper aisle, however. Last week I shopped in a nearby state where they supplied plastic bags and would not allow you to bring in germ-ridden reusuables. Not so in Walmart today. No plastic, only paper which they were charging a nickel for. When I got to my car outside, the space next to me was empty, except for the PPE mask and 2 pairs of gloves that someone threw on the ground. Saw nothing in the other store lots, and I did look around.
My state has one of the highest counts of covid-19. I don't enjoy shopping at Walmart one bit but we all know what the draw is. I'm hoping not to have to go into one for a few months, today really disgusted me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:06 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I feel OK about Walmart nowadays, but there was a time in my life when I didn't like them & avoided going like the plague. ALWAYS liked Target much better!

I sure wouldn't go to ANY normally crowded stores these days w/ covid-19 such as Walmart & Costo. My Target location is never that swamped any time I go.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
When I got to my car outside, the space next to me was empty, except for the PPE mask and 2 pairs of gloves that someone threw on the ground. Saw nothing in the other store lots, and I did look around.
I'm not a fan of Walmart either, but how is that Walmart's fault? They can't control what a customer does outside there stores. I will say, last time I was at Aldi, I saw about 30-40 pairs of gloves scattered about their parking lot. I don't blame Aldi for their customers' poor behavior.

I also don't understand what's so wrong with Walmart not assigning someone to check peoples' masks as they enter. Again, they're not in charge of their customers' behavior.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Went this week to a local "chain" grocery store. . . only a few of the employees were wearing masks. At the self-checkout it rang up an item at the regular price instead of the sale price, when I asked the employee who is there to assist about the price error she gave me the deer-in-the-headlights and said nothing. I asked her again and she picked up a sheet of paper, put it back down and said, "I don't see anything about a sale".

At Walmart all of the employees wear the face masks.

When I shop at Walmart the employees always greet me and ask if there is anything they can help me with; if there is a price error at check-out they correct it on the spot and apologize.

One day in Walmart's produce section I didn't see many of the type of potatoes I wanted so I asked one of the employees and he quickly went to the back of the store and came back with exactly what I wanted.

Perhaps there are managers in different parts of the country who run their Walmart store less than what is expected; however, in my area all of the Super Walmart stores and the Walmart Neighborhood stores there is nothing to complain about.

And for me to shop elsewhere and pay upwards of $2.00 or more for identical products is completely ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:56 PM

143 posts, read 111,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Went this week to a local "chain" grocery store. . . only a few of the employees were wearing masks. At the self-checkout it rang up an item at the regular price instead of the sale price, when I asked the employee who is there to assist about the price error she gave me the deer-in-the-headlights and said nothing. I asked her again and she picked up a sheet of paper, put it back down and said, "I don't see anything about a sale".

At Walmart all of the employees wear the face masks.

When I shop at Walmart the employees always greet me and ask if there is anything they can help me with; if there is a price error at check-out they correct it on the spot and apologize.

One day in Walmart's produce section I didn't see many of the type of potatoes I wanted so I asked one of the employees and he quickly went to the back of the store and came back with exactly what I wanted.

Perhaps there are managers in different parts of the country who run their Walmart store less than what is expected; however, in my area all of the Super Walmart stores and the Walmart Neighborhood stores there is nothing to complain about.

And for me to shop elsewhere and pay upwards of $2.00 or more for identical products is completely ridiculous.
Believe me, I have been to several much better Walmarts than this one also. It most definitely must be a management issue. I've been to some that you would suspect were going to be awful because of the area they're in, and it couldn't be further from the truth. And yes, the prices are what keep us going back, that's why I was there despite the high number of covid-19 cases in the area. I just hope I got enough to last a few months.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
State still regulates during this social distancing the guidelines for business.

Our state has been stringent. If Walmart is open.....it's also being spot checked that they are following the rules.
As previously conveyed...management is ultimately accountable for the stores procedures being implemented in accordance with the health precautions.

Ours has one door access. It has maximum customer entry. Currently set at 60. No buddy system unless it's an ada accompanied consumer.
Two live cashier's. All other trans thru self check with every other machine in lock out .
The aisles are lined off for one way passage. One person per aisle. All consumers in facial masks. All consumers upon entry and exit given sanitizer for hands. Carts are sanitizer at entry and exit. All keypads at check out cleaned at time of sale and upon exiting the self serve device area.

Short of every consumer having a monitor on the cart they expect adherence to the stores rules posted at the entrance.

I doubt this is a standard mandate by Walmart to show leniency for some managers. Most are aware of how poor performance affects sales.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
I went to 4 stores today for grocery shopping. Hannaford, Shoprite, Aldi, and Walmart. Now, my state has mandated wearing a mask when out in public and social distancing is hard to do. I consider grocery stores in that category. Of the 4 stores I shopped at, only Walmart had some shoppers without masks, and one employee whose mask wasn't on. Some stores have people at the entrance to make sure you have a mask on, but Walmart is only concerned with checking your receipt and cart on the way out of the store. They also had several tight aisles clogged up with workers restocking, like-can't that be done after the store is closed to customers? Trust me when I say there was no one restocking in the toilet paper aisle, however. Last week I shopped in a nearby state where they supplied plastic bags and would not allow you to bring in germ-ridden reusuables. Not so in Walmart today. No plastic, only paper which they were charging a nickel for. When I got to my car outside, the space next to me was empty, except for the PPE mask and 2 pairs of gloves that someone threw on the ground. Saw nothing in the other store lots, and I did look around.
My state has one of the highest counts of covid-19. I don't enjoy shopping at Walmart one bit but we all know what the draw is. I'm hoping not to have to go into one for a few months, today really disgusted me.
Last Friday I was in Walmart. 95% of the customers were wearing masks, and zero of the employees. Not one employees was wearing a mask. I have read that this week Walmart is requiring employees to wear masks. I'll see how that is going on my next trip.

Walmart is hell, but if they weren't stocking all day, you would see a lot more empty shelves. They likely didn't have any TP left to stock. Otherwise they would be stocking it.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Last Friday I was in Walmart. 95% of the customers were wearing masks, and zero of the employees. Not one employees was wearing a mask. I have read that this week Walmart is requiring employees to wear masks. I'll see how that is going on my next trip.

Walmart is hell, but if they weren't stocking all day, you would see a lot more empty shelves. They likely didn't have any TP left to stock. Otherwise they would be stocking it.
Again - must depend on the store management. All of our local Walmart stores have their shelves stocked with tp....the top name brands, and not just a few packages, and the prices have not increased.

At the chain grocery stores, the shelves for tp are empty except for a few packages of low quality that are selling for high prices.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Again - must depend on the store management. All of our local Walmart stores have their shelves stocked with tp....the top name brands, and not just a few packages, and the prices have not increased.

At the chain grocery stores, the shelves for tp are empty except for a few packages of low quality that are selling for high prices.

This is what I've noticed as well. My local grocery store chain is NEVER stocked with toilet paper or paper towels.

When I needed TP, Walmart had it. Name brand good stuff. On another trip, when I needed paper towels, Walmart had packages of 2 Bounty jumbo rolls.

Where I live, I'd say 95% of the people I see shopping are wearing masks. I don't really care if others think it's unnecessary. I wear mine for MY sake. And also, we're taking the 6ft rule pretty seriously.

Our Walmart is limiting how many people in the store, and you can only go in and out one way. Thankfully, there are no sections roped off to shoppers.

I've got a BUNCH of reasons to dislike shopping at Walmart. I always say it's death by a thousand paper cuts, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm not a fan of Walmart either, but how is that Walmart's fault? They can't control what a customer does outside there stores. I will say, last time I was at Aldi, I saw about 30-40 pairs of gloves scattered about their parking lot. I don't blame Aldi for their customers' poor behavior.

I also don't understand what's so wrong with Walmart not assigning someone to check peoples' masks as they enter. Again, they're not in charge of their customers' behavior.
I have also been seeing discarded vinyl gloves in a lot of different store parking lots. People take them off and simply throw them on the ground ! We humans are a strange lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products