Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 08:01 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Your stores have a sign out front that says this? Like I said, I am glad my city/state does not have this One person per household rule. How about your children? I saw a woman behind me in line to get in the store, with 2 small children, looked about age 4 and 6. They all had masks on. I won't assume, but maybe she is a single mother. And they are too young to stay at home or wait in the car. Should she hire a babysitter so that she can shop? They recommend children age 2 and up wear masks. I have seen women pushing baby strollers in another store with probably 1 year old and almost 2 year olds, those children not wearing masks. I also see many couples shopping together, both young and old.

And, what about the dogs they let in (my previous post)? I still think that is unsanitary during this time, and isn't it possible animals can carry Covid19 on their fur? If the stores want to limit the amount of people in the store to One, then maybe they could limit the amount of dogs too (just in the stores in my area).
I totally agree! And who's going to allow dogs in stores at this time that don't look like service dogs? Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
...When hub and I go we do similar except he will get what's in one isle, I get what's in the next. I can't break it up more then that because he's not as familiar with what we get as I am. When he goes by himself, he's texting me every 5 to 10 mins lol

...Agree, it's BS that your store lets dogs in. I'd complain using the feedback link on the Walmart receipt and would also follow up with a complaint to corporate.

I'm going to be sending my 3rd complaint about price gouging on walmart.com
Ha! regarding how you said your husband is! Yesterday, when fiance' & I finally went grocery shopping again, I wanted to definitely go on the 1/2 of the store that had the produce & more that's off our list because he'd take a LOT longer than me I know for a fact & even I was there for a while in produce getting & bagging up everything.

I was out of the store & loaded everything in the car & must have been waiting for him to come out for another...it felt like 30 min, but it was really another 15. I had the A/C on & everything in the car while waiting for him. I finally had to walk back in to see what in the world was taking him so long. He said he needed to put a few things back because he didn't have that amount in his account. I told him he could have used the other debit card for the rest, but he only had 1 on him at the time. Sigh! Men!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:16 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
I am working 6 days a week and since week 2 when the stores changed to emergency times to clean and restock I am mostly locked out. So I am only able to buy during the last hours picking over the carcass.

So basically I try to replenish the earthquake kit and freezer as we use items in it. Along with getting fresh produce. Going into the fifth week bleach has again become available but there was a mini run on dish washing liquid soap.

So far except for hand sanitizer I was lucky to find work gloves on one day off. And one day rubbing alcohol and toilet paper was being restocked as I went by that aisle as if by divine intervention

Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
No plan.
Still once a week mainly for perishables like fruits, vegetables, fish, deli.
I shop at a small farmers market with excellent specialty departments like butcher, deli, bakery, cheeses and small dairy.
I have a very well stocked pantry, TP for over a year (own a washlet), don't require milk, have a full freezer and order a pizza or chinese every other week. I am not a big eater so leftovers go far as it's only me and gf.
Shoppers all wear masks, hand sanitizer at the door.
They recently added stacks of TP and PT at the entrance, limit 2 ea. pp.
This place was always mobbed pre-pandemic and holidays got crazy, but civility was always the norm.
Now the customers are fewer and entry is paced but steady which makes shopping there actually enjoyable!

Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Firstly, my plan is to only grocery shop 1x/month ONLY & on hopefully the least crowded day of the week & time of day & be in /out as fast as possible. If too many cars are in the parking lot, we'll go somewhere else.

Having said that, I thought of what I think is a great shopping plan! My fiance' & I will each have our copy of the SAME list, which I've categorized (meats, dairy, etc. all written together on the list). I cover one 1/2 of the store & he covers the other 1/2 & we may hopefully meet around the middle aisle, but whoever of us finishes sooner will just go on in line & buy & be waiting in the car for the other.

So it's like we only have to get through 1/2 of the store, so we're in & out in 1/2 the time!

What's your shopping "strategy"?
At the beginning of this thing, we went out to 3 different stores and loaded up on everything from meat to cleaning products. It ended up that we spent almost $800, so we are in pretty good shape for a while. However, certain things still need to be either replaced as we use them, or are perishable and only have a few days shelf life (bananas, bread, etc) so I am forced to still go out every couple of days and replace those items or to pick up something different to eat that day.

I try to dash in and out as quickly as I can, and I use the local grocery store for some things, and COSTCO for the bigger items (cat food, cat litter, meats, water, etc) I do not like going into these places but have to be cautious and reasonable.

No matter how we TRY to stock up so we can stay 100% home, it is almost impossible to do. We just have to limit our exposure.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:05 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
No plan, I live alone, so when I have to shop, I shop, and sometimes it involves going to more than one store.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:20 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Taiko, sorry you work so much that you can't fully shop good. I wouldn't like that either.

don1945, still going to the stores every couple of days?! I never really went that often BEFORE covid hit (& I enjoy grocery shopping). How is it that others don't have to go for 3-4 weeks? It's definitely not impossible. You should get a LOT more canned & frozen foods that will last & if that means staying out of the stores away from people's germs, then do it.

I get fresh produce & mk it last as long as I can before it spoils, so if you can mostly eat the fresh foods for the 1st week after you shop, good! Then the last 2-4 weeks, just eat the frozen & canned foods & more things in the cupboards.

I last went to the grocery store on 3/31 & FINALLY went again yesterday, 4/22 so that's 3 wks later...stopped takeout & fast food on 3/26. So, it's not impossible. I was really not planning to go to the store until 4/29, but I was finally able to in btwn my work schedule, so I went ahead & spent almost $600.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 PM

83 posts, read 62,507 times
My "plan"...? I go to the store when I need stuff. There. Done.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Your stores have a sign out front that says this? Like I said, I am glad my city/state does not have this One person per household rule. How about your children? I saw a woman behind me in line to get in the store, with 2 small children, looked about age 4 and 6. They all had masks on. I won't assume, but maybe she is a single mother. And they are too young to stay at home or wait in the car. Should she hire a babysitter so that she can shop? They recommend children age 2 and up wear masks. I have seen women pushing baby strollers in another store with probably 1 year old and almost 2 year olds, those children not wearing masks. I also see many couples shopping together, both young and old.
Yes, they have signs on the doors stating 1 person per household, and for families to do this when possible. Exceptions are made for single moms, but no couples are not to shop together. They want to limit the number of people in the stores. Shopping isn't social time, and having people walk the store together makes it more difficult to keep a reasonable distance in the aisles.

Quote:
And, what about the dogs they let in (my previous post)? I still think that is unsanitary during this time, and isn't it possible animals can carry Covid19 on their fur? If the stores want to limit the amount of people in the store to One, then maybe they could limit the amount of dogs too (just in the stores in my area).
I wouldn't think they're allowed to limit service animals. A service animal is not a child, they're considered a medical necessity. That would be like saying they should limit the amount of people in the stores using Walker's or wheelchairs. You can't make such discriminations.

Don't touch the dogs (you're not supposed to anyway), and you won't have to worry about what kind of viruses you could get from their fur.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
My "plan"...? I go to the store when I need stuff. There. Done.
Really? Here in the SF Bay Area, as a senior?

Your zip code is still listed as being San Francisco, but I recall your interesting write-up on visiting Phoenix metro 55+ communities (printed it out, even), so do you live in AZ or CA?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Firstly, my plan is to only grocery shop 1x/month ONLY & on hopefully the least crowded day of the week & time of day & be in /out as fast as possible. If too many cars are in the parking lot, we'll go somewhere else.

Having said that, I thought of what I think is a great shopping plan! My fiance' & I will each have our copy of the SAME list, which I've categorized (meats, dairy, etc. all written together on the list). I cover one 1/2 of the store & he covers the other 1/2 & we may hopefully meet around the middle aisle, but whoever of us finishes sooner will just go on in line & buy & be waiting in the car for the other.

So it's like we only have to get through 1/2 of the store, so we're in & out in 1/2 the time!

What's your shopping "strategy"?
We have been using InstaCart and Amazon exclusively. Have not set foot inside a store since the shutdown. Not overly concerned about the virus (we still go to drive-thru windows) but I will NOT be told what to do, what to wear, where to stand, by store employees. The tape on the ground is RIDICULOUS. The masks are RIDICULOUS. The lines at the ENTRANCE and cattle chutes are RIDICULOUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products