Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:48 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times

Advertisements

Took one week's advance order; but with proper planning I don't see why anyone had to join the crowd at Costco.... (and taking the risk)

What's with the long lines?! Grocery is delivered right to the door-grocery.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 11:36 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
We tried delivery in Hawaii with Instacart and it was an absolute failure. The Instacart app failed and the delivery gal was unable to complete the checkout at the store. So...

Old 04-03-2020, 11:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Took one week's advance order; but with proper planning I don't see why anyone had to join the crowd at Costco.... (and taking the risk)

It took one week... with still only a small fraction of the people using the service. The capacity is simply not there for significant numbers of people to use that option.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It took one week... with still only a small fraction of the people using the service. The capacity is simply not there for significant numbers of people to use that option.
Guess just have to enjoy while it lasts. I'm placing the order for next week's delivery now...

Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
I've never used it but my friends who do (including those who used it consistently before the crisis) have said in this are deliveries are over 2 weeks out in my area.

I'm not convinced its any sag=fer than doing it yourself given that your delivery person will be visiting any number of homes.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:58 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I've never used it but my friends who do (including those who used it consistently before the crisis) have said in this are deliveries are over 2 weeks out in my area.

I'm not convinced its any sag=fer than doing it yourself given that your delivery person will be visiting any number of homes.
To my knowledge the delivery people leave it at your doorstep, so no contact with customers at all.
I felt far safer doing a 'no contact' restaurant pickup this week in a parking lot than I did doing a a lobby pickup last week. No door handles to touch, no wondering who or how many might have been at the pickup counter ahead of me. Of course I had to shout across about ten feet of space to give the employee the order number... but the no contact of deliveries and pickups feels far safer than going into to stores and maneuvering past people in aisles and waiting in checkout lines to me.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
To my knowledge the delivery people leave it at your doorstep, so no contact with customers at all.
I felt far safer doing a 'no contact' restaurant pickup this week in a parking lot than I did doing a a lobby pickup last week. No door handles to touch, no wondering who or how many might have been at the pickup counter ahead of me. Of course I had to shout across about ten feet of space to give the employee the order number... but the no contact of deliveries and pickups feels far safer than going into to stores and maneuvering past people in aisles and waiting in checkout lines to me.
Yes they left the food at the door in a box. No contact and no money exchanged because it's pre-paid. Store kept the order open up until delivery; if more is needed we could've called in at the last minute to add more stuff. So it's basically just scheduling a delivery trip one week in advance.

Still have to wipe down every item to be sure; but we could at least do that in leisure. The dry food and can food we just leave outside to sit for a few days.

All in all a pretty good service. The 3-block long line at Costco scares me more than the virus....

Old 04-04-2020, 04:00 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Guess just have to enjoy while it lasts. I'm placing the order for next week's delivery now...
Don't expect to get good looking bananas like that every time. Or tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, peaches, plums, melons, chicken or fish. I want to look at it, squeeze it, smell it and weigh it in my hand before it goes in the cart.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:28 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Our store will only schedule pickup or delivery 2 days out. I have a a order in my online cart and no time slots available.
We were able to order a delivery for a shut in relative, from a Kroger in another town.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

I hope folks that are having their groceries delivered take the time to figure out how to give the delivery person a tip.. These are tough times and a tip gets the money directly into the hand of the person doing the heavy lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products