Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:11 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

No change, where I live, and the periodic sales are continuing as before. No shortages of groceries or TP, either. Even hand sanitizer is available. What we don't have in the stores, are masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Costcos is selling Avocadoes for $7 for 5. Pretty good quality, definitely beats the ones at Walmart. Now is the time where your Costco card really pays vs going to the local markets.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:55 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
The one thing I really noticed last time was Friskies cat food, the kind that comes in the 3.5oz cans (basically, the same size as tuna for humans). The price tag had gone up to 75c a can, or quantity discounted at 54c. Thing is, in order to get the discount you had to buy twenty cans, and who the **** is going to buy twenty loose cans of cat food?

OTOH, the price was the same for Fancy Feast, for the box of thirty small cans.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
With most Americans sheltering at home as they wait out the coronavirus pandemic, you may have noticed that while your eating-out tab has gone done, your supermarket bill has gone up.

https://www.newser.com/story/290841/...not-alone.html
Yeah, I noticed meat is up a little, but at this stage I will pay ANYTHING to get food and supplies I need to survive. My house looks like a supermarket, I am ready for the long-haul.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:10 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Flour and TP shelves are typically empty still at grocery stores but Costco had a lot of 50 lb bags. Raincheck is no longer issued so when things are out at the time of a sale, which is pretty often for meats, you can't get it later at the sale price. Fewer items are on weekly ads now.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, wine. Before coronavirus, my friend and I were ordering wine from a couple of delivery services that offered specials and deals. Now the deals seem to be only for the FIRST order from any one of them. They've figured out that there is a whole population of women over 60 staying home quaffing wine and willing to pay to have it delivered, and they've pulled back on the specials.

I just looked since I'm down to about a week's worth, and it seems to me my best bet is to order from the local wine shop I went to before when they advertised deals. They'll put your order together and you can pick it up curbside, and they are giving good discounts based on how much you buy. Plus, I'm already familiar with the wines they carry. It's a small, wine-only store that sells products from the smaller wineries that can't compete with the ones who sell through the big liquor outlets.
WE are doing about the same: our normal order on line winery that usually runs specials almost daily hasn't had a decent one in a few weeks now. We too are depending more on our local stores. We can go to MO, which is only a 10 min drive and actually walk in and buy our wine or whatever spirits we want. Here in AR we depend on drive through but that too may be lifted in a week or so. Yes, our favorite wine store (in MO) gives us a discount for buying 6 bottles and a better one for buying even more.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
The painful reality is here of higher
Prices. Meat processing plants have closed down
Or operating at low capacity

Real muscle burger is over 6lb
The preprocessed % tube burger
Is much cheaper but also a less quality product
( think Walmart and some supermarkets)

Hopefully the prices level off - this is the first week
Panic buying has slowed
Gives us a chance to catch up and supply chain to
Be replenished

Old 05-15-2020, 06:08 AM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
The one thing I really noticed last time was Friskies cat food, the kind that comes in the 3.5oz cans (basically, the same size as tuna for humans). The price tag had gone up to 75c a can, or quantity discounted at 54c. Thing is, in order to get the discount you had to buy twenty cans, and who the **** is going to buy twenty loose cans of cat food?

Two whiskered room mates here and finicky to boot. I get all there is when I am in a store and order at Chewy's. Try to keep several cases in their pantry. With people food I can get creative and we are not likely to run out of wine but running short of cat food would pose a major crisis.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:17 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That's because you live in Seattle and they have to be shipped from California or wherever your grocery store gets them.

Again, geography. You live in Florida, we grow them here.
I doubt the ones at Restaurant Depot are FL grown. Beside, if they can sell them at that price, why are grocery stores charging those outrageous prices for 1 or 2? As far as Florida citrus growers go, they can all lose their crops. I no longer purchase Florida citrus products knowingly. I will never forget what Gov. Bush did to us in their favor with his canker eradication program. I enjoyed it immensely when the 4 hurricanes in 2004 spread it all over the state.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:18 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

Somebody who has four cats, that's who! As I once did. I'd buy four dozen cans of cat food at one time because I'd try to buy it ONLY when it was on sale. But 75 cents a can is high for Friskies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products