Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:13 PM

351 posts, read 224,564 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I didn't see many other options when researching.

My wife and I need a new master bed/mattress. We've had a king size Tempurpedic for 10 years (at the time of purchase, it was the 2nd firmest mattress in the Tempurpedic line). Over the past few months, we've been waking up with back and neck pain. We are of average size...I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs, she's 5'8" and 135 lbs. As most reviews mention, memory foam (particularly from ten years ago) takes on and maintains heat, which can cause the memory foam to lose its density and ability to maintain the firmness. When we wake up, the impressions of our bodies in the memory foam are much, much deeper than they 2-3 years ago.

Also, I sleep mainly on my back (sometimes wake up on my sides). My wife is mainly a side sleeper.

Our biggest requirements for a new mattress:
- very firm mattress to support back/neck
- maintain a cooler temperature when sleeping
- split king (a request but not necessary)

Memory foam may not be the best option going forward but I'm sure there are advances in technology that may help it maintain its firmness.

Purple seems to be a good option going forward. Does anyone here have first hand experience with Purple or any similar alternatives?

Then again, 10 years is not a bad life for any mattress (although, I did pay $2650 for it in 2010).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by baltimoreguy1; 05-16-2020 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 06:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We got a sleep number bed several years ago, and we love it.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:47 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Visit Room & Board.
Hybrid.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:09 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Buying a new mattress is such a crap shoot. There are so many different opinions when doing research. One of my friends bought a Tuft & Needle mint mattress and loved it. So my husband and I went down to the Tuft and Needle store and tried it out. We like a firmer mattress and it felt really good. we bought the Tuft and Needle king size mint mattress and their mattress cover. We live in Arizona and this mattress sleeps very cool. I also purchased their pillow which I really like.
Do NOT purchase the Amazon "Nod" Mattress by Tuft & Needle. I bought it for our guest room and slept on it for two weeks when I moved to my new house before my furniture was delivered. The mattress is thin and when you push down on it I could feel the bed frame, plus it sleeps extremely hot!
I am very happy with our Tuft & Needle mint mattress!

Old 05-16-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We got a sleep number bed several years ago, and we love it.
I completely overlooked Sleep Number in my research so far...thanks for the heads up. That's a great option for us.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Buying a new mattress is such a crap shoot. There are so many different opinions when doing research. One of my friends bought a Tuft & Needle mint mattress and loved it. So my husband and I went down to the Tuft and Needle store and tried it out. We like a firmer mattress and it felt really good. we bought the Tuft and Needle king size mint mattress and their mattress cover. We live in Arizona and this mattress sleeps very cool. I also purchased their pillow which I really like.
Do NOT purchase the Amazon "Nod" Mattress by Tuft & Needle. I bought it for our guest room and slept on it for two weeks when I moved to my new house before my furniture was delivered. The mattress is thin and when you push down on it I could feel the bed frame, plus it sleeps extremely hot!
I am very happy with our Tuft & Needle mint mattress!
I haven't heard of Tuft & Needle before. I'll add the T&N mint mattress to my research list. Thanks

Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Visit Room & Board.
Hybrid.
I found info about the R&B Essential foam and coil hybrid. Very reasonably priced. I didn't see any mention of temperature controlled or cooling but since this has a layer of individually wrapped coils, I'm guessing there should be more air flow than a solid memory foam. Do you have this hybrid? Does the mattress retain a lot of heat or is it cool?

Old 05-17-2020, 06:04 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I didn't see many other options when researching.

My wife and I need a new master bed/mattress. We've had a king size Tempurpedic for 10 years (at the time of purchase, it was the 2nd firmest mattress in the Tempurpedic line). Over the past few months, we've been waking up with back and neck pain. We are of average size...I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs, she's 5'8" and 135 lbs. As most reviews mention, memory foam (particularly from ten years ago) takes on and maintains heat, which can cause the memory foam to lose its density and ability to maintain the firmness. When we wake up, the impressions of our bodies in the memory foam are much, much deeper than they 2-3 years ago.

Also, I sleep mainly on my back (sometimes wake up on my sides). My wife is mainly a side sleeper.

Our biggest requirements for a new mattress:
- very firm mattress to support back/neck
- maintain a cooler temperature when sleeping
- split king (a request but not necessary)

Memory foam may not be the best option going forward but I'm sure there are advances in technology that may help it maintain its firmness.

Purple seems to be a good option going forward. Does anyone here have first hand experience with Purple or any similar alternatives?

Then again, 10 years is not a bad life for any mattress (although, I did pay $2650 for it in 2010).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
We're on our second Tempurpedic, going back to probably 2006 (switched from queen to king). Wife and I are both well over 'average size' , but I've never noticed any 'set' in either one. Also, we're both hot sleepers, but have never been uncomfortable in the Tempur. In fact, it's more comfortable than anything else we've had. That's said, we've slept on a Tempurpedic with a deep quilty pillow-top cover thing on it that WAS hot to both of us. Always kinda thought it was the cover that made the difference.

We're planning on downsizing back to a queen in a couple years and we'll be looking at the Sleep Number as well. No idea of pricing on that, but if it's close we'll stay with a Tempurpedic.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
There have been several long threads regarding mattresses, so you might look them up.

The thing about most of the memory foam mattresses is they have 100 day guarantee, so you might as well try one. Nothing to lose.

We bought a $178. King size foam mattress, with memory foam top layer, from Walmart and we love it. We took a chance, thinking we’d just throw it out if we didn’t like it, but we do. We are larger, retired, arthritic, side sleepers, in a hot climate.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Have looked into Tempurepedic's warranty? We found them to be very reasonable when it came to replacing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products