Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

These algorithms are determine prices and for Amazon to also cut deals with suppliers too. That's how Amazon makes money using machine learning algorithms to set prices and manage the supply side.

Having an item in a cart allows them to build their ranking system and suggestions within your product searches.

You know Amazon's search never make any sense. When you search for product A, they never show that item at the top. They always show you something else then you scroll down you will find what you what and often the item is a 3rd party seller and not Amazon. So an item that is $99 sold by Amazon is listed some 3-4 items down while the top of the search is the same item for $200 by a 3rd party which is "Fullfilled by Amazon" which is what makes Amazon the most money not actually selling the product themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
As I understand it, online prices are not the same for everyone across the board. (Amazon may be an exception, I don't know.)

I saw a YouTube with three people searching prices for the same vacation on the same sites, at the same time.

The guy who usually shops things out and buys the best value was offered the best price.
The woman who usually takes the first offer got the worst price.
They were both using their own computers.
The third person used a new computer with no browsing history, and got a mid range price.

I've seen items in my Amazon cart go up and down a little. Sometimes they go up so much, I reshop it.
Once I bought a pool cover for $60, but somehow it also stayed in my "save for later" section. A month later, it went down to $15. I bought two, and used them both because they each only lasted a year or so.
But I think that was a seasonal price change, not triggered by it being in my saved section.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
When searching for my favorite clothing brand, I get ads for competitor brands both on and off Amazon.

As for knowing what is in your cart, Amazon did experiment back in 2000 for giving larger discounts on DVDs to new users, but this has stopped and Amazon has denied being involved in price discrimination ever since.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
When searching for my favorite clothing brand, I get ads for competitor brands both on and off Amazon.

As for knowing what is in your cart, Amazon did experiment back in 2000 for giving larger discounts on DVDs to new users, but this has stopped and Amazon has denied being involved in price discrimination ever since.
Huh? Amazon guilty of price discrimination? So many stores/services rendered stores do that though. Offering discounts to people who have not been there before, i.e. First time customers. I'm thinking, well, what about your so-called loyal customers? Don't we get to see any discount? Nope.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM

300 posts, read 148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I know that more than once, I've done some circular searching for an item, and within the same hour I will come back to my choice to find the price has gone up. Up, never down. Oftentimes discounts or multiple offers disappear. I am not convinced it's completely random. (And, frankly, know too much about consumer AI systems to believe that, especially on Amazon.)
Same here. I can browse around for golf shoes, for example. On my initial search, I find pretty decent deals. Then the next day I search again, never to find that same good deal. They list only higher priced items. This has been tested with many products, with similar tactics.

For those of you who are naive to believe it's random, think again. Your naivety is why he's the richest man in the world, lol.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:37 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I assume many of you agree. Often after I placed something in my cart, the price went up. This happened both when the seller was Amazon or a third party seller. I wonder when the price would fall back if I removed it from my cart or if I don't order it for a long time?
I went to Amazon yesterday after seeing your thread. I decided to search for the stuffed animals I got my grandson for his birthday last yea. It's a set of 4 characters, he's had the main one since he was a toddler, so I bought him the other 3. They were about $30 each, I got them for $20 each signing up for prime. Yesterday I decided to see what was left and if I should buy him his original in a new version, not to replace but to put away. It was $30. Some of the characters are sold out with another only having one left. I added the main one to my wish list and cart and will see what happens next week when I go to buy it. I could get it for $10 off applying for an Amzaon credit card

Old 05-24-2020, 09:40 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Something of an aside, but I recommended a particular brand of undersink water filtration to someone in a thread here, a topic and a name I haven't typed in over a year... and every one of my devices lit up with Amazon ads for it.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Something of an aside, but I recommended a particular brand of undersink water filtration to someone in a thread here, a topic and a name I haven't typed in over a year... and every one of my devices lit up with Amazon ads for it.
Yea, something like that has happened to me too. My local newspaper seems to do that as well when doing searches and searches on Amazon. I know within a day or two how many deck post guards (from weedwhackers/dogs peeing on them) that I’ll be getting later in the day while on my phone and going through my emails this morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products