Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

I expect that most restaurants will be out of business a year from now. I think there will be a ton of commercial real estate bankruptcy sales since retail and restaurant tenants stop paying rent. Nobody is going to be able to survive in the restaurant business when their potential customers don’t feel safe in the building. With 20% unemployment, an awful lot of people will chop out most of their restaurant and retail spending after the $600/week unemployment bonus ends in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:09 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Quote:
I expect that most restaurants will be out of business a year from now.
A large number of restaurants go out of business in their first year, virus or no virus. More would-be restauranteurs come right in behind them to open, and the cycle continues. There is never a shortage of people wanting to open their own restaurant. Some are good at it and succeed; a lot of them aren't, but they make the effort because it's one of those small-business dreams that is more accessible/attainable for the average person.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
A large number of restaurants go out of business in their first year, virus or no virus. More would-be restauranteurs come right in behind them to open, and the cycle continues. There is never a shortage of people wanting to open their own restaurant. Some are good at it and succeed; a lot of them aren't, but they make the effort because it's one of those small-business dreams that is more accessible/attainable for the average person.

I think the concern is all the long-established restaurants going under. The savvy ones will declare bankruptcy and re-open under a new name.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I'm envisioning a robot, (like our grocery store has now to inform of spills) that houses an ultraviolet light. At closing time it goes up/down the the aisles emitting that ultra violet light from head to toe and then docks itself b4 opening either store/restaurant.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I wonder what the stats are on covid asymptomatic people who've died? I'm sure there are plenty in that group who had zero symptoms, yet still died. But their loved ones don't really know the reason (in which it was really covid).
This makes zero sense. People don't die of "Covid." In other words, they don't test positive, have no symptoms at all, and then just keel over dead because they have "Covid." They die of complications of Covid, such as respiratory failure. No symptoms = no complications = no Covid death.

Evidence is mounting that truly asymptomatic people are mostly not contagious. It would go a long way towards slowing the spread of the virus if people who have any cold or flu symptoms, even a mild sore throat, stay home. The main problem is that people feel sick, but "not that sick," and they go out.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:22 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The US has quite an overabundant, (unnecessary) importance on physical appearance. Everyone's so into good looks, being sexy, hot bodies, etc. Therefore, no one here has really started wearing masks until a couple of mos ago.

But all along, I think everyone thought they were too cute to wear some "ugly old masks" to cover their "beautiful" faces. Everyone needed to have stopped being so haughty & above it all & put those masks on 1-2 mos sooner at least for their own safety.
The powers that be, from the top down, assured us there was no need to. It had nothing to do with fashion passion and personal appearance. Even now, the only people refusing to wear masks are the ones screaming about freedumb and oppression, not smeared makeup.

And when you can tell me how people can meaningfully go to a bar or restaurant and remain masked, I'll be here to be amazed.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:51 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This makes zero sense. People don't die of "Covid." In other words, they don't test positive, have no symptoms at all, and then just keel over dead because they have "Covid." They die of complications of Covid, such as respiratory failure. No symptoms = no complications = no Covid death.

Evidence is mounting that truly asymptomatic people are mostly not contagious. It would go a long way towards slowing the spread of the virus if people who have any cold or flu symptoms, even a mild sore throat, stay home. The main problem is that people feel sick, but "not that sick," and they go out.
Because until a few months ago it was expected by American society. It just happens that The Last Dance documentary about Michael Jordan came on now and one of the featured moment was his playing a finals game with every announcer talking about his playing with "flu symptoms", although team insiders suspected food poisoning by some folks in Utah we hear now. But still it went out to the world in 1997 that winners suck it up and go out under such conditions. And if the documentary would have aired earlier that message would have been reinforced about Mike's bravery before the pandemic instead of afterwards when we can justify his actions because he was not infectious but poisoned.

Where I work even though we earn sick leave we get awards for not using any. Again the incentive to go out and "be like Mike" for stuff which what we called minor in 2019. Perhaps society made a 180 degree turn in a matter of weeks just like they did with face coverings. But those weeks were too late, yet without the deaths of Italy and New York we probably never would have accepted the change no matter what the C.D.C or W.H.O. recommended.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
The powers that be, from the top down, assured us there was no need to. It had nothing to do with fashion passion and personal appearance. Even now, the only people refusing to wear masks are the ones screaming about freedumb and oppression, not smeared makeup.

And when you can tell me how people can meaningfully go to a bar or restaurant and remain masked, I'll be here to be amazed.
My wife and I went to a burger joint today. We pretty much resigned ourselves to just catching the virus. Our state opened everything up already. They say they care about our health, but they really don't. They don't want to pay anyone unemployment anymore, so it's a free-for-all now. Anyway, we went to the burger place and the rules were so dumb. We had to wear a mask all the way to the table and when ordering. We could take the mask off to eat (obviously) but when we went to the cash register to pay we had to put it back on! What was the point of that? All the diners were exchanging various COVID particles while eating, only to "protect themselves" 40 minutes later when they put their mask back on to pay and leave

Old 05-28-2020, 01:18 AM

357 posts, read 125,412 times
as I posted in another forum, it's not the mask that will protect anyone, it's the BEHAVIORS! Like it or not, a large number of Americans and people in general did not lead consistently sanitary lives, and if we truly just live a sanitary life (washing hands when needed, using sanitizer when needed, not touching all over things when you don't know who touched them, people who are close to eachother sharing things they shouldn't share, licking our fingers to open bags up, not washing hands properly in bathroom, coughing and sneezing and not covering our noses or mouth, not keeping jour children's hands and noses clean enough) and the list could go on and on....by the way, restaurants are proven to be filthy, and because of poor training, sometimes poor work ethic, and a lack of focus on important things by dictatorship style store owners, general managers, and district managers, there is a lot of "smart, dumb" actions by leadership, and the RIGHT type of cleanliness is often neglected (menu cleanliness, tabletop condiments, under tables, sauce bottles, certain areas of restrooms, etc) and servers and bartenders in most places are so over run that they don't take the time to wash hands or sanitize anything; neither do cooks frankly, and we are all lucky we not sick as dogs more often.....if we go out of our way to live cleanly, and be more conscious of things being sanitized and having maybe an element of germophobia, we'll be in good shape. These masks aren't saving lives, come on people.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Here in Portugal, all restaurants have outdoor seating. We go at off hours, sit outside far apart, usually there's a breeze. The servers wear masks, but no patrons. One place had an ordering app , no menus at all. Others had one use paper menus and others an outside board. But there's a very low amount of cases here.

I envision the ordering app on one's own phone for hygiene, then just food runners, no real wait staff. This has the added benefit of ending tipping, as the runners just get regular minimum wage. Until there's robots...

It will be a very different experience, but many patrons dislike tipping anyway, and management often abuses it. I feel bad for servers, having been one with a lucrative income.

In crowded places and bars, I have no idea, but count me out. Haven't been shopping except the uncrowded corner market, so really can't visualize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products