Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,410,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We could take the mask off to eat (obviously) but when we went to the cash register to pay we had to put it back on! What was the point of that? All the diners were exchanging various COVID particles while eating, only to "protect themselves" 40 minutes later when they put their mask back on to pay and leave
Its Safety Theater, just like the six feet distancing guideline doesn't really help too much: https://nypost.com/2020/05/28/six-fe...ssion-experts/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 09:05 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,183,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Its Safety Theater, just like the six feet distancing guideline doesn't really help too much:
Distancing has helped change the curve of transmission enormously, if not necessarily with any individual guarantees.

You might want to cite a real source next time.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,980,592 times
Quote:
My wife and I went to a burger joint today. We pretty much resigned ourselves to just catching the virus. Our state opened everything up already. They say they care about our health, but they really don't. They don't want to pay anyone unemployment anymore, so it's a free-for-all now. Anyway, we went to the burger place and the rules were so dumb. We had to wear a mask all the way to the table and when ordering. We could take the mask off to eat (obviously) but when we went to the cash register to pay we had to put it back on! What was the point of that? All the diners were exchanging various COVID particles while eating, only to "protect themselves" 40 minutes later when they put their mask back on to pay and leave

That's similar to the rules put out by many of the churches around here. You need to wear a mask when entering the church, but you can take it off as soon as you sit in a pew. You need to wear it when going up for communion, but can take it off once your at the front of the communion line, and then you'll have to put it on again when leaving.

Do during a 40 minute mass, you're maybe wearing a mask for 5 minutes.

And then they have the church ladies sanitizing between masses... As if they're going to be experts at sanatizing for this virus.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 AM

995 posts, read 507,108 times
Quote:
My wife and I went to a burger joint today. We pretty much resigned ourselves to just catching the virus. Our state opened everything up already. They say they care about our health, but they really don't. They don't want to pay anyone unemployment anymore, so it's a free-for-all now. Anyway, we went to the burger place and the rules were so dumb. We had to wear a mask all the way to the table and when ordering. We could take the mask off to eat (obviously) but when we went to the cash register to pay we had to put it back on! What was the point of that? All the diners were exchanging various COVID particles while eating, only to "protect themselves" 40 minutes later when they put their mask back on to pay and leave
I'd just flat-out refuse. As a mask refusenik, I no longer wear a mask anywhere I go out. If questioned (I haven't yet), I tell them I have medical issues preventing me from wearing a mask.

If they still refuse, then it's shouting time - I refuse to go down without a fight.

I went to a restaurant in Florida last weekend (dine-in) - no masks on anyone, not even the wait staff. So I'm not the only "refusenik" out there. Not by a long shot.

The way forward is passive resistance - just refuse.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:34 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,581,740 times
I wonder if there will be some businesses who will refuse to adapt or offer precautions beyond the bare minimum required by law (if there are any depending on the state/locality) who will go out of business because of that.

I know businesses are under a strain right now as everyone is, but I've had some disappointing experiences at some food establishments that I've been going to for years getting take out where they seem to be taking minimal precautions, and I'm not sure that I want to patronize those places anymore unless they show more interest in protecting their customers and staff.

And then, even if the businesses are taking appropriate precautions, you have behavioral issues from some customers, like above, which doesn't help make anything more pleasant or less stressful for anyone either.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-10-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I wonder if there will be some businesses who will refuse to adapt or offer precautions beyond the bare minimum required by law (if there are any depending on the state/locality) who will go out of business because of that.
Of course there will be — they will get tagged for being a spread nucleus some busy weekend, and watch their patronage vanish, not to return.

But, you know, freedumb profits business (and psst, hoax!)...

Old 06-11-2020, 09:33 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,129,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I'd just flat-out refuse. As a mask refusenik, I no longer wear a mask anywhere I go out. If questioned (I haven't yet), I tell them I have medical issues preventing me from wearing a mask.

If they still refuse, then it's shouting time - I refuse to go down without a fight.

I went to a restaurant in Florida last weekend (dine-in) - no masks on anyone, not even the wait staff. So I'm not the only "refusenik" out there. Not by a long shot.

The way forward is passive resistance - just refuse.
So, for you it's: "I have the right/freedom to do whatever I want."

But for you for businesses it's: "You can't tell me what to do."

Just a bit of cognitive dissonance there, eh?

Old 06-11-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
So, for you it's: "I have the right/freedom to do whatever I want."

But for you for businesses it's: "You can't tell me what to do."

Just a bit of cognitive dissonance there, eh?
You're singing the Libertarian anthem, you realize.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:27 AM

10,603 posts, read 12,074,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

Just curious...
These are what I consider to me fairly easy "yes" or "no" questions....

-- Do you care whether you could have it, be asymptomatic, and could spread it to others?

And maybe even more important....
-- Do you care whether others could spread it to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products