Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I getting more and more dissatisfied with Amazon lately. Thru this pandemic, they let very shady seller's from China scam and gouge buyers for items that were hard to get. Then they wouldn't accept phone calls when the purchase went bad, using the pandemic as a lame excuse; you were on your own. There was no recourse or assistance from them. They just let their Prime members (and everyone else) swinging in the wind. So pretty much SOL. And THAT pisses me off. Prices creeping up. Shipping speeds increasing. Turning a blind eye while allowing Chinese sellers to rip people off. Being stingy with their employees when they can well-afford to do better by them. Uh, not good.
Wife ran into this similar issue. Instead she used their chat feature and chatted with their support staff and they were able to refund her money. She said they were very responsive and a few days later her credit card got a refund.

Prime membership not only not gets you faster shipping. You get access to prime video streaming which has a lot of original content that is well produced, plus regular movies and shows. We don't have cable so between Netflix, Hulu and prime we're entertained. Amazon music is great. We've ordered printed pictures from Amazon. First reads give me free Kindle book every month. Analyst project millions of prime subscribers. Random people like the op on the internet pseudo boycotting them is not going to make a dent in their profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 05:52 AM

39 posts, read 26,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotahYei View Post
I just buy from whoever is cheaper, including shipping and taxes. Today, I purchased some printer ink cartridges. The local Office Depot was a lot cheaper than Amazon and Walmart, including shipping with delivery by the close of business tomorrow.

Yes, I did receive the cartridges yesterday afternoon. And I have noticed there are sellers of merchandise on Ebay that are cheaper than Amazon and Walmart, and I have had no problems with the delivery and quality of their merchandise.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:09 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Wife ran into this similar issue. Instead she used their chat feature and chatted with their support staff and they were able to refund her money. She said they were very responsive and a few days later her credit card got a refund.

Prime membership not only not gets you faster shipping. You get access to prime video streaming which has a lot of original content that is well produced, plus regular movies and shows. We don't have cable so between Netflix, Hulu and prime we're entertained. Amazon music is great. We've ordered printed pictures from Amazon. First reads give me free Kindle book every month. Analyst project millions of prime subscribers. Random people like the op on the internet pseudo boycotting them is not going to make a dent in their profit.
Similar here. Never an issue with returns. Credits get issues when dropping returns off. Prices are often lower than stores. During the lock down we shifted almost all shopping but fresh groceries.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:09 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I also leverage chase’s credit card platform to buy amazon gift cards to Amazon and get an effective 7.5% discount on my amazon purchases because of it

Old 06-06-2020, 03:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Jeff Bezos' net worth is $150 Billion... There are 2.5 million sellers on Amazon, which means Jeff Bezos' has profited an average of $60,000 per seller.
This makes no sense. Bezos didn't make most of his money off of other sellers. If you're going to attribute his wealth to how he earned it, at least use facts.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Amazon charges sellers 10-16% in fees and they also hold funds for up to 30 days.. if you can, try to figure out who is selling the item and see if you can buy from them directly. Remember, that's 16% of the selling price, not of profits. So if a seller is only getting a 25% margin, Amazon is making more than the actual seller which is just messed up in my opinion... Still not sure how Amazon became THE market place.
I think this is a good explanation. Amazon has low fees, as you suggest (10%-16%). They only hold it for 30 days.

That's an amazing value and that's how Amazon became "THE market place".

If the seller's margins are as low as you claim, you have to wonder how the seller is in business. Perhaps the seller needs to revisit their business plan.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:21 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think this is a good explanation. Amazon has low fees, as you suggest (10%-16%).
By comparison, most retail stores demand something close to 50%, less only on hot, fast-moving and higher-price products. And often have to pay suppliers on a weekly to ten day basis for the entire delivered lot.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:09 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Well, apperently the venerable Elon Musk agrees with me.

I just got an alert to a YouTube video with him saying "time to break up Amazon. Monopolies are a bad thing".

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:14 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, apperently the venerable Elon Musk agrees with me.

I just got an alert to a YouTube video with him saying "time to break up Amazon. Monopolies are a bad thing".
Goodness, what a self-serving piece of fecal matter.

You must define "venerable" as "pretty often stoned to the eyeballs, on the really, really good stuff."

We got it. You don't like Amazon. Care to move on now?

Old 06-06-2020, 05:22 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Blah, blah. Who said I shopped at AMZN? This thread is about your shopping habits i.e. 'if you can help it', per your thread title, and your hatred (jealousy) of Bezos'. Else, you wouldn't waste your time whining about his net worth.

If your perception is 'their prices are going way up' and/or you feel he's the 'devil' then simply don't buy from AMZN (rather than 'if I can help it'). It's certainly irrelevant to 'we are going in the opposite direction anyway towards minimalism'; much of what AMZN ships, especially relative to the past few months, is food and toiletries, lol. I don't know about you, but I don't want to do without TP and deodorant. : )

Incidentally, 2nd QTR projections reflect a potential loss (up to 1B) due to COVID expenditures (compared to a $3B gain last year).
Please DO NOT put words in my mouth that aren't there or thoughts in my head that aren't there "(jealousy)".
So don't put thoughts in my head that aren't there..I am in no way jealous. I just don't think he needs anymore (of my) money.

I didn't say you shopped at Amazon, I said IF YOU WANT TO shop there, go ahead.
Again, don't put words in my mouth that aren't there.

I also never said "he's the devil".. again do not put words in my mouth.

You sound awfully defensive of Amazon and Jeff Bezos.
Are you secretly him, here on City Data?
Are you a long lost relative you HOPE he more money so you can inherit more.

Fir someone who apparently doesn't shop at Amazon, you are awfully interested that anyone would say " I'm no longer shopping there".

Oh? And my "if I can help it" comment? Since you SEEM to know what is in my head..then you would know..that means ( just for your clarification) " I won't shop at Amazon anymore IF I CAN HELP IT.... UNLESS Amazon is the ONLY place to get an item I want"

But since you are so good at reading minds and putting words in other's mouths...you KNEW that was the rest of my (unsaid) completed thought, now didn't you?

Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products