Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 07:27 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Walmart.com does not have the distribution channels that Amazon has with the dedicated warehouses and vans. Amazon can get an item delivered in a day with free delivery whereas Walmart has to utilize USPS or Fedex and overnight fees are very expensive.

It seems to me you clicked on the delivery option that is $40. I don't think the seller "added" it. 3rd party sellers do not have access to adding fees onto your purchase or access to your credit card info. If there is no way to contact the seller directly just dispute the credit card charge. If they item shows up, send it back. You might get banned from Walmart.com but it sounds like you don't plan on using them again anyways. And no, it was not a scam. No one would get away with inflating shipping fees like that. People watch their spending online. I sell online and I remember when sales tax became mandatory across state lines. I would get angry messages that I added sales tax to their purchase. Its automatic with Amazon I have no control over the shopping cart functions. I am not aware the person is buying the item until they have paid for it.
I believe it’s a scam because to date the 3rd party seller has ignored all of the messages sent from me and WM customer service. They have my money (thanks to WM) and they aren’t giving it back.

No, I did not select a $40 shipping option, why would I do something so ridiculous on an order that supposedly qualified for free shipping? The “delivery charge” appeared on the final checkout screen and I didn’t catch it before placing the order. On Amazon.com buyers have a ten minute window to cancel orders if they make a mistake. Walmart’s system has nothing like that.

Yes, I could give the package (it’s unopened) to UPS and have them return it, but what would that accomplish? The scammers would get the product back and then resell it to another mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 12:02 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I buy online from Wal-Mart and Amazon, and have had similar experiences with both.

The Wal-Mart cart only says you've reached the free shipping threshold for items from Wal-Mart.com. Amazon does the same.

Amazon's AtoZ guarantee seems to skip a number of products from third party sellers, like the duvet cover that looked fine in the little picture online, but completely different in person.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I buy online from Wal-Mart and Amazon, and have had similar experiences with both.

The Wal-Mart cart only says you've reached the free shipping threshold for items from Wal-Mart.com. Amazon does the same.

Amazon's AtoZ guarantee seems to skip a number of products from third party sellers, like the duvet cover that looked fine in the little picture online, but completely different in person.
^^^ What Steiconi said.

OP, the $40 shipping charge would have shown up (a) on the listing page (maybe in small letters) and (b) in your cart before you actually hit "buy" or "finish" or whatever language Wal-Mart uses. Well, this is the way it's SUPPOSED to work. If you can provide a link to the exact item, we could check (and I could do an experiment with my cart).

ETA: I just added an item from a third-party seller to my cart, and the shipping was shown in my total as well. OP, I think you may have just missed it in the cart? (which is awful, BTW, you have my sympathy, but I can see how that could happen)

Old 06-06-2020, 02:25 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A bottle of nutritional supplement capsules, the package weight was 0.3 pounds.
Jayzuss.

Reminds me of the days on eBay when stuff was 99 cents or even 1 cent... with a $19.99 shipping charge. Yep, sure, good price in the end.... but shipping's not refundable, see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
If you can provide a link to the exact item, we could check (and I could do an experiment with my cart).
Yes, do. That scam is worth a little online justice if we can figure out a way to apply it.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Jayzuss.

Reminds me of the days on eBay when stuff was 99 cents or even 1 cent... with a $19.99 shipping charge. Yep, sure, good price in the end.... but shipping's not refundable, see...

Yes, do. That scam is worth a little online justice if we can figure out a way to apply it.
Ebay got wise to sellers doing that ^^^ and so made their OWN charges based on the total including shipping. That caused a bunch of sellers to offer "free" shipping.

I hope the OP provides the link. I am wondering if we'll see the $40.00 in very small letters (but it would also show up in the cart -- I just checked that myself -- so it's puzzling).

Old 06-06-2020, 02:48 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ebay got wise to sellers doing that ^^^ and so made their OWN charges based on the total including shipping. That caused a bunch of sellers to offer "free" shipping.
Yeah, part of it was to get around eBay's (then trivial) fees, but much of what I saw was stuff that could arrive being total crap... for which the seller would happily refund the nickel and let the customer keep the junk.

EBay's shipping rules got bad for a long time if you had heavy, lower-valued stuff, though, like some car parts. Clearly stated, I never had buyers object to "$5 for crating and then actual UPS shipping cost" but more or less had to stop selling such items after eBay started setting arbitrary shipping charges. I think it's fixed (ish) now.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
I’m a customer of the online stores for both Amazon and Walmart. Both have their place and most of the time both provide decent service. But a recent experience with an order from Walmart has changed by opinion of their web store and I may never buy from them again.

Don't blame Walmart. Walmart didn't do anything wrong to you. The scammer did.

Blaming Walmart is like blaming the bank when somebody cashes a forged check.

If you paid by credit card, file for a chargeback.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:43 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
I believe it’s a scam because to date the 3rd party seller has ignored all of the messages sent from me and WM customer service. They have my money (thanks to WM) and they aren’t giving it back.
Some people have poor customer service. Scammers often do not ignore people. I am sure Bernie Madoff had great customer service. Explain how a 3rd party seller sneaks in a $40 charge on the walmart website? In fact looking it up a company called Payoneer processes all walmart.com transactions. The 3rd party person has no access to that.
Quote:
No, I did not select a $40 shipping option, why would I do something so ridiculous on an order that supposedly qualified for free shipping? The “delivery charge” appeared on the final checkout screen and I didn’t catch it before placing the order. On Amazon.com buyers have a ten minute window to cancel orders if they make a mistake. Walmart’s system has nothing like that.
I did not say you did in on purpose. Even on Amazon they put the word free shipping all over the place but unless you have a prime account or purchase over $35 its not free. Walmart appears to have the same thing. How much was your product?
Quote:
Yes, I could give the package (it’s unopened) to UPS and have them return it, but what would that accomplish? The scammers would get the product back and then resell it to another mark.
According to the Walmart website you can drop it at a Walmart, even 3rd party items. I don't know if they refund your full shipping charge or not. And as far as them scamming you, Walmart and Payoneer process the order. You are basically saying Walmart or Payoneer is in on some scam. It could just be some transaction glitch.

I have sold online for 20 years. I have had people accuse me of running their credit card twice when in reality I have nothing to do with processing their credit card purchase. There are people who jump the gun and don't really understand the process. I had someone who made a purchase at 2am. At 3am they asked to confirm that I got the money. At 5am they asked to cancel the transaction because they thought I was a scam for not responding at 3am.

Its a long process to get accepted as a 3rd party seller on Walmart. Much harder than eBay or Amazon. Lots of companies are turned down. For someone to go through all that just to try to steal $40 from you is not plausible.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-06-2020 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Ah, I just saw this from an earlier post by the OP ... the $40 delivery charge WAS there, he just missed it. (So, OP, you actually DID select a $40 shipping option -- you just didn't realize it because you didn't look closely enough at that last screen.)

OP, I think it's awful that this happened to you because a $40 delivery charge on a tiny item is ridiculous. BUT I don't see how you can call it a "scam" when the charge was right there on the final screen before you purchased -- but you didn't look closely enough before hitting "enter."

So I'm now assuming that the $40 charge is ALSO on the product page, probably in small letters, but you missed it there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Don't blame Walmart. Walmart didn't do anything wrong to you. The scammer did.

Blaming Walmart is like blaming the bank when somebody cashes a forged check.

If you paid by credit card, file for a chargeback.
At first I thought maybe he COULD blame Walmart, IF the charge actually didn't show up on the product page (which the OP has so far not given a link to, so I suspect it's there) AND also didn't show up on the checkout page. But it DID -- the OP just missed it.

So a $40 lesson learned. It absolutely stinks and I would be furious too, but it's not a scam -- just price gouging by the seller.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:40 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
It's not a 40$ lesson. It's a 40$ refund . That's what can be learned.
open a credit card dispute. Let them handle it.

The tiny small print really is a 'gotcha' .
This buyer beware is really a challenge for the sight impaired. I have glasses and read and re-read what I can. The print is usually hidden in an area one has to scan numerous times ...

TBH, it's not a scam. It's price gouging on shipment fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products