Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 06:32 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,472,081 times

Advertisements

Tech writer John Herrman did a major write-up of Amazon trying to cope with the coronavirus - and did you know how much of Amazon purchases are supporting China, not America?

Amazon’s Big Breakdown
The pandemic briefly brought the Everything Store to its knees — by prematurely bringing about a future it has long been planning for.

According to estimates by Marketplace Pulse, an e-commerce research firm, a third of the top Amazon sellers — those doing more than $1 million in annual US sales — are based in China, bidding abroad for algorithmic supremacy and relying on Amazon to handle nearly everything after their products reach the US.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...s-1003674.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
No need to pick on Amazon - 70% of Walmart sales are products made in China. Other like Best Buy, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree and Target are also big buyers of Chinese imports. Even the major U.S. athletic shoes are made in China.

96% of Nike shoes are manufactured in China, Indonesia and Vietnam.
All Adidas shoes are made either in Vietnam, Indonesia or China
Skechers shoes are made in China or Vietnam

https://www.startribune.com/target-t...ffs/559513512/

Old 06-08-2020, 12:10 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,166,289 times
I think the point is that Amazon has been sort of invaded by Alibaba players — doing business from China, flooding the listings with a dozen or more identical items with or without varied non-branding, and manipulating the system to maximize sales and put as much of the load on Amazon's system as possible.

I recently bought a slim freestanding reading light. The exact same item was listed at least twenty times under five or six 'GoopWackCo' non-brands and no brand at all, at a spread of prices and discounts. If it wasn't all one seller they're all working from the same building. I'm not sure this practice benefits anyone but these sellers.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:08 AM

8,852 posts, read 6,156,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I think the point is that Amazon has been sort of invaded by Alibaba players — doing business from China, flooding the listings with a dozen or more identical items with or without varied non-branding, and manipulating the system to maximize sales and put as much of the load on Amazon's system as possible.

I recently bought a slim freestanding reading light. The exact same item was listed at least twenty times under five or six 'GoopWackCo' non-brands and no brand at all, at a spread of prices and discounts. If it wasn't all one seller they're all working from the same building. I'm not sure this practice benefits anyone but these sellers.
So how do non-Chinese consumers combat this practice?

Old 06-10-2020, 05:43 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,610,356 times
Amazon is doing itself a disservice by adding a large number of Chinese sellers to its marketplace. Many are scams, never ship your order, don't respond to emails, and have negative ratings/reviews well over 60%. The number of complaints, whether via Email or chat, that Amazon has had to deal with must be tremendous. I can't see how that's not putting a huge strain on their staffing, not to mention infuriating their customers.

Personally, I'd like to see an online retailer that's committed to a variety of quality products in limited brands or models, preferably US-made if possible. I don't need to see a hundred crappy toasters or hand soap. Just show me six with different features that are good quality and come with a decent warranty. And nothing shipped directly from China, which takes weeks to months.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:50 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Personally, I'd like to see an online retailer that's committed to a variety of quality products in limited brands or models, preferably US-made if possible. I don't need to see a hundred crappy toasters or hand soap. Just show me six with different features that are good quality and come with a decent warranty. And nothing shipped directly from China, which takes weeks to months.
US Made doesn't necessarily mean good quality. There are Chinese manufactured products in us by our military that meets and exceed what american companies provide. So long as the contract manager insist and only accepts quality products, you'll get quality products. But, if they are only trying to get products cheaper and cheaper because that is how the vast majority of Americans buy, expect low quality.

A for shipping from China, that's why there has been a migration over to Newegg for electronics as one of the filters is shipping location. If you want to avoid long delays, you pick USA, Canada or Mexico. That doesn't mean it won't be some cheap foreign garbage, just you'll know you wasted you're money faster.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:22 PM

50,192 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Tech writer John Herrman did a major write-up of Amazon trying to cope with the coronavirus - and did you know how much of Amazon purchases are supporting China, not America?

Amazon’s Big Breakdown
The pandemic briefly brought the Everything Store to its knees — by prematurely bringing about a future it has long been planning for.

According to estimates by Marketplace Pulse, an e-commerce research firm, a third of the top Amazon sellers — those doing more than $1 million in annual US sales — are based in China, bidding abroad for algorithmic supremacy and relying on Amazon to handle nearly everything after their products reach the US.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...s-1003674.html
Everything we buy from Walmart is made in China, what is the difference?

Old 06-12-2020, 06:25 PM

50,192 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So how do non-Chinese consumers combat this practice?
You combat it by foregoing the cheaper version of the product, and biting the bullet and paying $15 more for the made in US product. Most people don’t do that though. I wish people had done this year’s ago, continue to go to their local small town hardware stores and spend an extra $15 rather than going to Home Depot and putting their independent shops out of business. But people want that lowest price. It’s really too late now though, because so many component parts are made in China that it’s really difficult to make anything completely in the US anymore. People needed to act when Walmarts were first invading every town in the USA, but most people were fighting for them against the protesters who tried to argue that it was better to patronize small business in our own towns. Probably Amazon would’ve still been China heavy, but Walmart was really the one who accelerated the push to move everything to China back when we still had a chance to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products