Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 5,270 times

Advertisements

I have an electric toothbrush and been using it for over 5 plus years ago. Only thing i replace is those small brushes where you suppose to change them every three or six months etc. Recently i tried to charge my electric toothbrush and it did not charge.

When I did this, my electric toothbrush had zero charge and showed a red blinking signal which is normal. Sometimes I charge it when it has no more charge, other times when it has like one bar. It has three bars on it when full. So when it still has battery, it shows either one, two or three green bars when you click on it.

Now I did drop my electric toothbrush on the floor a few days ago though when it fell off the table by accident. I also threw away the small toothbrush since that fell on the floor since i have that connected to the whole thing. Then few days later when it ran out of battery, it did not charge when connecting to outlet. Also most importantly when i pressed on the electric toothbrush, it showed red blinking. This is when it is completely out of battery. Now when i press it now, there is no red blinking at all. I assume thats because when you still don't have it connected to battery, it would completely run out of any light.

Now does this mean I only need to buy the replacement charger and that would work? Or does that mean my electric toothbrush is now broken? The thing is i have a few times dropped my electric toothbrush on the floor before this. Note... I always put the electric toothbrush connected to the charging thing when i put it on the table. So when i drop it... the whole thing drops so to speak. I probably dropped it on the floor a few times before this at the absolute most.

Name of the electric toothbrush is called Oral B Professional Healthy Clean + Floss Action Precision 5000 Rechargeable Electric toothbrush. I see it on my amazon order history from years ago but when i click on it now, its no longer available and it looks completely different from the one i bought. Amazon shows it as Liberex Sonic Electric Toothbrush.

I don't want to spend over a hundred dollars plus for another one of these if there is a cheaper fix. Anyone know what I can do here? The electric toothbrush has still worked fine which is why I want to stick to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 5,270 times
I like to know. But in the meantime, is it fine to brush your teeth with the electric toothbrush without it working but using it as with the small toothbrush connected to it? Or just use a regular full size toothbrush as is?

Also from checking online, it seems like there are lot of electric toothbrush in the fifty dollar and under range where it has great reviews. Are those good? Back then, i recalled all the good and recommended ones were at least one hundred dollars and up... but this was years ago.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
But in the meantime, is it fine to brush your teeth with the electric toothbrush without it working but using it as with the small toothbrush connected to it? Or just use a regular full size toothbrush as is?

Of course it is. A brush is a brush. Either your muscles supply the energy or the motor does.

Also from checking online, it seems like there are lot of electric toothbrush in the fifty dollar and under range where it has great reviews. Are those good? Back then, i recalled all the good and recommended ones were at least one hundred dollars and up... but this was years ago.

The number of times you can recharge the battery pack to full capacity may differ between brands. Some may develop a "memory" that will shorten the capacity to take a charge. If you look carefully at all the reviews check how long the customer has actually used that brush. Any new one should work fine for a while. Years later, not so much. The statistical rate of failure may be higher or lower depending on the brand...or on luck. I don't know. Everyone makes claims. This is something I don't really care enough about to endlessly shop and compare. I've used a manual brush most of my life, but when a dentist suggested that I was brushing too hard and that an electric might discourage that tendency, I bought a Phillips Sonicare. I've used the same one with the same rechargeable battery for years without any problems. Someday the battery won't recharge. I'll replace it.

If you travel a lot an electric takes up more space in your luggage. If you tend to go places where there's no power the answer is obvious, though an electric can hold a charge for a pretty long time; easily over a weekend. If the battery dies you can always use it manually. No dental hygiene police will come arrest you if you do. If you are someone who chooses not to be dependent on electricity for everything a manual will be your choice.

There are endless debates about this or that toothbrush, manual versus electric. They will all clean your teeth. The point is, buy a brush and USE IT.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:44 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times
I had some similar issue with one of my electric tooth brushes some time ago. I unplugged it for a day or two. Did one of those resets on my in wall bathroom electrical charger. After a day [or two], I plugged the toothbrush back in for charging and then after that, it worked again. I'm not sure really whether it was the toothbrush unit or the in wall bathroom switch. Whatever. It worked. When my brush signals red, I'll charge it. As soon as it turns green, I'll promptly unplug it. So far, so good.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:00 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
A lot of rechargeable devices use lipo/lithium ion batteries. These batteries hate being stored with uncharged for long periods of time; it actually damages them. Coming from the hobby of electric RC cars it is pretty common knowledge not to store them uncharged NOR overly discharge them; many electronics will cut off if the lipo voltage drops below a certain level. Its pretty important as RC cars have large batteries and can be fairly expensive. New batteries in packaging are partially charged specifically for being stored for long periods of time.

With that said, I've opened many devices to replace the internal battery. For the most part, it is fairly easy... some devices will require soldering, many will use standard plugs for easy servicing. I've never had a problem finding replacement equivalents online that have the same voltage (and similar capacity). Most are using standard batteries; example 18650. So depending on your comfort level opening up electronics, that is an option.

Other than that, I judging from the situation I would just buy another electric brush or use a manual one until I saved enough to buy a new one.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
All things must come to an end sometime, batteries included. 3-5 years on a small rechargeable battery's life is about normal.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:25 PM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
It might be the charger if the toothbrush is not lighting up anymore, the battery is dead or when dropped one of the solder connections on the circuit board broke.
You can buy a replacement charger base on AMZN for $10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GBT6VQN...=1591910025491

Or you can buy a new OralB 5000 for $77 on AMZN.
https://www.amazon.com/Oral-B-SmartS...1910398&sr=8-5

Old 06-11-2020, 05:52 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
After that period of time - it's time to buy a new toothbrush, they can't be charged forever and ever!!

Old 06-11-2020, 06:20 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Yep, they don't last forever. 5 years is a pretty good lifetime, so it's time for a new one.

My Oral-B was only about $60. I can't imagine what one that costs over $100 would do any better.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I've been eyeing a combination brush and water flosser for $129.

But we've had our Oral B brushes since 2014; they're still going strong. Yikes, they were $27 then, $60 now. Makes the combo brush/flosser seem more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products