Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,270,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't see the OP mentioning "after COVID". .
Please see thread title...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 09:10 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,184,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Please see thread title...
I overlooked the thread title. Generally I respond to the content of the post, not the title.

I thought the OP was quite clear in the content of the post that his/her opinion is after the initial COVID rush (when everyone ran out to stock up on TP, meat, etc.). So I'm just not understanding how people could be confused here (i.e. "missing the memo"). Unless they jumped in to comment upon only reading the thread title.

I did not see anywhere within the content of the post that the OP indicated that COVID was over. Well, unless I missed that memo.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:06 PM

141 posts, read 110,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
A lot of the TJX stores and their competitors rely on the larger chains to sell their previous-season clothing and other cast-offs to them. These "off-price retailers" also stock their stores with closeouts that the major chains want to get rid of to make room for their new arrivals ("fashion changes"). When those major chains had their business disrupted (in many cases just closed outright), the supply chain for everyone involved was screwed up. The major chains had leftover winter stock locked up in their closed stores, while stores like Marshalls and Burlington were not getting any closeouts or cast-offs from those stores. Right now, the major stores are trying to improve their sales figures and are not as quick to sell off their merchandise to places like TJX companies, since they're still contending with supply issues themselves. It's really too late to lay in a large supply of summer clothing, and all the leftover winter clothing is still clogging up a lot of stores' racks. In a few weeks they might see an upturn in northern stores where people might still buy last-season's winter clothing at clearance prices. The TJX stores and competitors here in the south are half-empty and it doesn't look like things will improve, since we don't consume as much winter clothing at any time of year, and there was no summer clothing in the major stores that would normally end up in the off-price stores this time of year.

So the supply chain is really messed up, and until the larger chains get back to normal, the off-price retailers like TJMaxx and Ross will be in even worse shape, since they depend on the larger chains to provide much of their stock.
Yes, I figured as much. Plus, I went into a Macy's yesterday-which I rarely shop in anymore-and I saw a sign for a section called "Backstage". I went to check it out, and it was clothes, misc. accessories, shoes, and health and beauty products that obviously did not sell and were marked way down. Some of the beauty products were identical to what Marshalls carries. I wonder if this is a temporary thing or something they plan to continue with. It was kinda like their own version of in-store Marshalls and TJ Maxx. This could really hit the discount chains bad if continued.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 AM

12,362 posts, read 8,098,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
Yes, I figured as much. Plus, I went into a Macy's yesterday-which I rarely shop in anymore-and I saw a sign for a section called "Backstage". I went to check it out, and it was clothes, misc. accessories, shoes, and health and beauty products that obviously did not sell and were marked way down. Some of the beauty products were identical to what Marshalls carries. I wonder if this is a temporary thing or something they plan to continue with. It was kinda like their own version of in-store Marshalls and TJ Maxx. This could really hit the discount chains bad if continued.
It sounds more like a forlorn hope try by the May Companies of the world to keep people in their shops. A small section of TJ/Ross/Marshall/Burlington can't compete with a full store of goods with as much branded products as the full traditional department store.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:00 PM

15,061 posts, read 10,063,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

COVID killed this store. What stores do you see that COVID staggered?
COVID didn't kill this store. Management did... Expired milk.. other stores recovering from the initial runs on goods is a clear sign that the problem lies with this Kroger location.

Oh.. and COVID isn't over so the long term impact on a variety of things, such as stores, is yet to be known.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 PM

8,058 posts, read 4,732,985 times
Macy's Backstage is simply their specially-identified area to place their clearance items, rather than just having them mixed into the departments. The other department stores have their versions (Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus's Last Call, Saks Off-Fifth) and in some cases they are actually separated into an independent store/outlet (rather than being a dedicated section of a larger store). It is a tacit admission by those stores that they are willing to cater to the 'value shopper' rather than just trying to cater to the customers who don't chase bargains. The larger department stores likely never believed these off-price retailers would end up being competitors, but now they all seem to be competing for the same group of customers...so if Macy's can sell that clearanced-out dress to you via Backstage, it means they kept you from buying that same dress from Marshalls (and thus kept those $$$ out of the pockets of a competitor).

Quote:
Some of the beauty products were identical to what Marshalls carries
This is where Marshalls probably got them--that is, Macy's still sells off some of their clearanced-out items to the TJX companies. Having an in-house clearance center saves them some time and effort, and in some cases keeps the product's manufacturer happier, since their products are seen 'only at Macy's'. A company's image might be hurt if their products are seen being sold off at steep discounts in places like TJX stores or Ross. I heard that Neiman Marcus (when it was open) used to throw away unsold items from certain higher-end vendors because the vendor did not want their items to be associated with 'markdowns' or being bought at a lower price. Louis Vuillton (or however one spells it) burns their handbags and accessories once they are deemed 'previous season' rather than having those items end up being placed on sale or on clearance by the stores who sell them.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 PM

141 posts, read 110,434 times
I just hope this doesn't spell the end for Marshall's & TJ Maxx. I could care less about so-called "designer" stuff, most of which I find to be quite ugly. I like the fact that you never know what you will find in those stores, it's like a treasure hunt. And most likely, you would not run into someone wearing the same thing as you. Actually since customer service is pretty much non-existent anymore in Macy's, I don't see much difference between that and the discount stores.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:22 AM

16,034 posts, read 21,066,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Sounds more to me like something unique to that Kroger location--that is, not some company-wide outage. It might be something as simple (and unfortunately, frequent) as a change in management of that store, from a good one to one who doesn't give a darn about the in-stock condition or the appearance of the store. If the boss doesn't care, a lot of the employees won't either.
Agreed. The Kroger I use (near ETSU) is located near to the one OP is talking about. It has occasional bare spots that seem to be different each week, maybe the frozen pizzas stay pretty empty, but for the most part they are clean and well stocked.
What I have noticed, in this area at least, is that quite a few stores have drastically cut hours, if you can't shop between 10-6 you are out of luck if you want to try on items or otherwise want to shop in person. I wanted to buy some shoes during tax free weekend and had to order online because I couldn't find a store that was open during my free time. I hope they fit, I hate trying to return things!

Old 08-04-2020, 06:50 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,111,114 times
I've seen a few stores that have really shrunk their stock now. Rearranged the store and spread things out now that they have less inventory. Marshall's being one of them. My thing is, I went into Marshall's (and a few of the others) for very specific items somewhat regularly but now they don't even have those items anymore so not much incentive for me to go there now. Not when I really don't need anything in particular. Of course when I went in for those items I browsed around and usually came out with a buggy full.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:36 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,988,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
Yes, I figured as much. Plus, I went into a Macy's yesterday-which I rarely shop in anymore-and I saw a sign for a section called "Backstage". I went to check it out, and it was clothes, misc. accessories, shoes, and health and beauty products that obviously did not sell and were marked way down. Some of the beauty products were identical to what Marshalls carries. I wonder if this is a temporary thing or something they plan to continue with.

They've been around for a few years now, so I wouldn't think it's a temporary concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products